James White Reviews

• Feb 07, 2019

James White is one of the scariest realistic movies I've seen in a really long time. Scary, not as in horror but as in myself coming to grips with my near future. This story brought the modern age of anxiety and being a millennial in New York today which is exactly what I am. This film had one of the best constructed opening sequences where it completes its task so efficiently in brining you inside the head of our main character. He's not a protagonist, he's not an antagonist he's just James White who has issues that he has to learn to deal with. This film had me very emotionally invested, the ending is still slightly confusing to me but it lead to me looking more into the mechanics of the film and damn do I love what they chose to do. If you want a claustrophobic, anxiety driven, highly realistic, intimate domestic drama that delves into the mind of almost every mid 20s man in New York this is the film for you.

• Jan 08, 2019

Powerful, affecting film. Christopher Abbott is so, so good. Want to see so much more from the principal cast, writer, and director. Yay, Kid Cudi also! ??

• May 26, 2018

Realistic and emotional. Abbott and Nixon were outstanding in their roles. The scene towards the end, when James is talking to his mom in the bathroom as she is leaning on his chest, made me tear up. Phenomenal.

• Jan 05, 2018

It was difficult at times to empathize with an extremely unlikable character

It was difficult at times to empathize with an extremely unlikable character

• Oct 08, 2017

I never expect myself considering Cynthia Nixon as a great actress, but this film changes my view completely.

• Oct 08, 2017

Sorry. To slow of a drama. Just no meat in the story.

Sorry. To slow of a drama. Just no meat in the story.

• Jan 29, 2017

Christopher Abbott y Cynthia Nixon, sublimes. Una película que no tiene que ser catalogada como realista o naturalista, ni como actual o intemporal. Muchos estarán agotados de ver cintas sobre un personaje autodestructivo y su redención, sobre la soledad o la enfermedad como metáfora del desprendimiento de nuestra humanidad; no obstante, el director y los actores nos sumergen en un mundo paralelo separado únicamente por una puerta, un muro o un hogar. Josh Mond nos introdujo en la habitación oscura de james y su madre, pero sólo nos dio un espejo para observar el reflejo de un mundo en el que siempre estará la misma imagen. Un punto clave es la cinematografía y los constantes primeros planos. Y no, ningún motivo está agotado.

• Jan 27, 2017

Wrenching, real and intimate, "James White" explores loss, self-destruction and the powerful bond between a mother and son. Christopher Abbott is a revelation.

• Dec 31, 2016

It's all about James. James White is a young, upper middle class New Yorker, eager to party, easy to anger. He is hard to like, but easy to pal around with. James is a happy drunk, but only for a minute. James is attempting adult life, while his parents are leaving it. With a wide open world to explore, James is begrudgingly forced into a caregiver roll, suddenly throwing his carefree, priveleged ways upside down. James is a selfish, conniving man, and often makes questionable decisions based on his lifelong lifestyle. This leads to fights, missed opportunities, and relationship conflicts. The brunt of this brutally honest movie is spent taking care of his terminally ill mother, played with a perfect blend of physical helplessness and mental toughness by Cynthia Nixon. Their's is a bumpy relationship born out of guilt, stubbornness and blood bonds. As James, Christopher Abbott is terrific, dominating the screen (he is in every shot), eliciting alternating waves of empathy and vitriol for a character as naked as can be. There are no easy answers, just a string of tough questions. Conflicted human behaviour has seldom been tackled so succinctly on the big screen. - hipCRANK

• Dec 29, 2016

Not all I hoped it would be, but a solid effort. I think Abbott's character, James White, was just too inaccessible for me. And there were no other characters that grabbed me and gave me a reason to care about the them or the story. But there is great camera work, production design and acting.