Jane Eyre Reviews

• 5d ago

I'm angry I even had to give this movie half a star - not only is it a horrifying and frankly disrespectful bastardization of Brontë's novel but it comes down to being simply one of the worst films I have ever seen. If Fukunaga spent half as much time on story arc as he did on montages of his characters doing nothing, maybe this movie could scrape together even a shadow of comprehensible meaning. Jane has been stripped of all agency by Wasikowska's astoundingly emotionless portrayal of her, and all fire the novel possesses has been trampled out by cumbersome dialogue and lazy writing. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I found out this film was a result of editors misplacing 80% of the original footage - there is so little content and so much dead space in between that this complete disaster is almost unwatchable. It reads like a high school film project.

• Jun 25, 2019

Captivating, well acted and well directed. A beautiful, memorable movie

Captivating, well acted and well directed. A beautiful, memorable movie

• May 27, 2019

Charlotte Bronte created such a different story in essence from the ones I was used to with Jane Austen. "Jane Eyre" is such a heavy,sad and really depressing little movie. I was never expecting to have this heavy stomach and heart once I finished watching another Victorian era romance,at least I thought. This is such a gothic themed story and by no means is it another romance. "Jane Eyre" is a story filled with so much drama and social criticism of the era it takes place in. I'm positively surprised but my mind still dwells on the things I just watched and it is still not calming down. "Jane Eyre" is an instant classic.

• Apr 03, 2019

Jane Eyre (2011) Excellent adaptation! Well cast to nicely reflect descriptions of characters in the Bronte book of the same name. -March 2019

• Feb 09, 2019

The power is in Bronte's writing, but nevertheless, and probably because it isn't directed by some jobbing Brit, this manages to get to the heart of the novel with its tough, uncompromising but yearning-to-be-tender protagonist won over by a soulmate who wishes to elevate, not dominate, his better half. The ending really brings home how love can mend the broken.

• Dec 30, 2018

It was good. One nude image in a photo that was zoomed in on and wasn't necessary to the plot, at all, but was still there. Other than that it is appropriate. Nothing too steamy. It is an emotionally investing movie. There is a bit of creepiness to it but, it isn't a horror movie. Ok to watch before sleep. It has a few unexpected plot twists. It is about romance with a twinge of darkness that is truly enchanting.

• Dec 16, 2018

I enjoyed it, although I wouldn't say it was awesome. Interesting take on the book.

• Oct 13, 2018

I've never read the book upon which this film is based, but from what I've heard it does a faithful job of bringing the semi-autobiographical story to the big screen. Mia Wasikowska brings the soft-spoken but hard-willed and feisty Jane to life, trying her best to live on her own terms while obstacles are constantly thrown in her way, from spiteful relatives, authoritarian teachers and men who at their absolute best when falling drunkenly from horses. That would be Mr. Rochester, played with incredible depth and earnesty by Michael Fassbender, a broken-down man now experiencing a new lease of life through Jane. The way the 2 pay off is each is what makes the film, and I love how their relationship is never depicted as unrealistically idyllic, with things always getting in their way and questions constantly asked about whether or not they can truly co-exist. It shows the struggles of a woman trying to be independent in a time when this flew completely in the face of the norm, and Wasikowska completely inhabits the character. I would have to say that in terms of raw emotion, Fassbender just edges her out, but both actors are always on top form, giving us one of England's oldest, yet most endearing, odd couples.

• Sep 19, 2018

While Jane Eyre is probably the best adaptation of the classic book to date, it still manages to have all the faults of the book as well.

• May 30, 2018

I came into this movie while my mom was watching it and thought it was a horror film. This feeling persisted to the end of the film. The mood is consistently dreary except in places where it is completely unwarranted. There is absolutely no chemistry between the two romantic leads and no emotion expressed through the majority other than misery. The actors are great, but I think the film is missing something important that the book might have had that made the protagonist relatable and her romance realistic.