Janie Jones - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Janie Jones Reviews

January 5, 2016
I very much enjoyed this film. Breslin portrayed Janie Jones beautifully. You cannot help but feel for her. I also did not even know that Breslin could sing well
June 13, 2015
A sweet, but rather forgettable movie.
March 12, 2015
I just watched this on netflix the other day and it kind of reminds me of my life. I loved this movie because of that :)
½ October 5, 2014
Seeing movies back to back on a plane is always interesting. The context can totally shift the tone of a film. Watched JANIE JONES, a lovely small indie that just feels so right and so right now, capturing the ebb and flow of contemporary life. The film doesn't break any new territory but as a character study it surprises in so many ways. Both Abigail Breslin and Alessandro Nivola are pitch perfect and even every small role from Elizabeth Shue to one of my favorites Peter Stormare, just rings right. An eloquent complex work that really surprised me!
September 13, 2014
i thought the movie was terrific. I cannot understand the negative reviews. the acting was superb.
June 30, 2014
Its a nice story but nothing special.
May 19, 2014
Me gusto bastante, muy tierna y buena mśsica.
March 23, 2014
Interesting story. Nice happy ending.
½ December 17, 2013
Entertaining, quiet, little indie film about a ner-do-well musician who finally grows up when he finds out and has to adjust to the fact that he's the father of a 13 year old daughter thrust upon him while he's on the road. Sweet, moving story with an excellent cast. Abigail Breslin shines as the talented and mature young teen.
½ December 14, 2013
Sweet, although not so much an original story. Abigail Breslin shines as the title character and shows that not only is she a very talented actress, but a talented singer as well.
September 2, 2013
U know what abigail is getting better to nice for my taste but this guy wow how can u not love him he was great
Harlequin68
½ May 9, 2013
The movie starts with Mary Ann(Elisabeth Shue) taking her 13-year old daughter Janie(Abigail Breslin) to meet her father Ethan(Alessandro Nivola), who is in Little Rock touring with his band, for the first time. Whatever Mary Ann was expecting, it could have not been that Ethan says that he does not remember her, much less not claim Janie as his own, even with a copy of her birth certificate listing him as the father. So, Mary Ann forces the issue by leaving Janie behind at the concert venue, leading Janie to call 911. That leaves her with a choice of getting on the tour bus or taking a tour of the foster care system. With Ethan's assent, she chooses the former.

Even though the plot of "Janie Jones" sounds like it has been done plenty of times before, the movie finds its own nuanced downbeat way, hitting just the right notes, mostly due to the excellence of its two lead performances.(However, the less said of Elisabeth Shue the better.) Alessandro Nivola is especially good playing a tortured soul who with the departure of his enablers from his life is forced for once to reconsider his life while learning how to act around a 13-year old daughter.(Learning from watching her irresponsible mother, Janie can take care of herself while still being young enough to not have to think about psychoanalysis yet.) While the movie is subtle about its condemnation of drug and alcohol abuse, it also helps that Ethan is not instantly likable, as the movie does not take the easy way out.
March 13, 2013
The Little Miss Sunshine star is a very talented teen now. This movie was very enjoyable. Good music. Touching story. A really well done Independent film....love these!
March 2, 2013
Good performance from Alessandro Nivola, and an outstanding performance from Abigail Breslin, plus some good music, this is all around a really good film.
February 28, 2013
Wednesday, February 27, 2013

(2011)Janie Jones
DRAMA/ MUSICAL

A recovery junkie Mary Ann (Elizabeth Shue) inadvertingly drops off her underage daughter Janie Jones played by Abigail Breslin with Ethan (Alessandro Niovla) who didn't know he had a daughter. And as much as he doesn't want her- he's left with no choice but to look after her losing some of the perks that comes with becoming a rock star, straining his relationship with his band mates.

While watching this film, it almost felt like it's nothing more than another acting tool for Abigail Breslin which showcases the audience that she's a great actress but not good enough as a singer. She plays guitar quite well but her singing is plain and uninspiring as well as much of the music throughout. Seems like it was somehow inspired by "Almost Famous" since the film consists of many 'observants' that's always been known to happen when rock bands travel together in a bus, meaning that it doesn't offer anything new to the music genre in general when they're countless documentaries and books about that sort of thing- what is even the point about about watching a fictional portrayl of it. Also, if one were to cut out all the cussing and arguing- it would look like a "Sunday Afternoon special".

2 out of 4 stars
November 24, 2012
Good movie. Watched it by accident. Couldn't turn the channel. Had to watch it till the end
November 23, 2012
" When Iā(TM)m carried away
In the eye of a hurricane
I have no fear, thereā(TM)s a certain kind of peace here."
November 10, 2012
Nivola and Breslin make a terrific mismatched pair in a film that often resembles a mash-up of "Crazy Heart" and Sofia Coppola's "Somewhere". The performances are top notch & the music isn't half bad, I really enjoyed this film,I say SEE IT!!!
½ October 18, 2012
quirky, but cute movie. Well made.
September 26, 2012
A heart-wrenching and deeply absorbing movie. It`s the best film of its kind since Crazy Heart. A powerful and emotionally gripping film that just tugs on your heart. Abigail Breslin and Alessandro Nivola gives outstanding performances. Breslin is truly heart breaking and brilliant. Nivola is magnificent. A tremendous surprise to watch. A wonderfully written and exceptionally crafted work.