Jaws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws Reviews

June 22, 2017
This one of the best Steven Spielberg films it's a true classic it's by far the best shark suspense movie of all time and it shall stay that way
June 22, 2017
One of my favorite "go to" movies - can quote most lines by now - still see something new depending on where I see it!
June 18, 2017
A truly epic masterpiece. That provides its viewers with a terrific theme song, visually excellent scenes, great acting and enough comedy and story to go around with. Jaws is an immense and truly epic classic.
½ June 18, 2017
Salah satu karya lagendaris dari Steven Spielberg , jagonya film fiksi. Ga cuma menegangkan tapi siapa yang sangka cerita tentang hiu bisa sangat berkualitas. Ni film super duper keren menurut ane , soalnya susah banget bikin visual hiu dan aksi di laut di jamannya. Jaman sekarang sih emang gampang tinggal pasang kain biru atau hijau jadi deh sama teknologi canggih, tapi ini tahun 1975 gitu loh, hebatnya lagi ni film ditonton sama kita yang bahkan belum hidup tahun itu dan tetap Wow !
June 16, 2017
If you are looking for an amazing Spielberg film or an amazing Universal Studios film, this ones for you. This film is filled with amazing cinematography and great acting. The score is one of John Williams' best. It's a suspenseful film that keeps you on your feet the whole time. This film also has the really awesome "Vertigo Shot". Look for that. This film is an amazing example of how awesome Universal Studios is.

Rating: 10/10
June 14, 2017
This classic horror movie is incredible. My mom love the film and I love it to. And I just love the classic.
June 5, 2017
Best animal horror movie ever
June 4, 2017
jaws is the best shark movie ever made and the graphics are still very good
May 31, 2017
Jaws is no doubt one of the most iconic movies of all time and a prominent part of our cultural literacy. How many variations of "We're going to need a bigger boat." have you seen or heard in your everyday life? It is easy to see why Jaws became the first big summer blockbuster film. The visual effects still hold up even with today's standards. If you pause the film, you may be able to see how fake the mechanical shark actually looks, but combined with Spielberg's masterful camera work, he has been able to fool audiences for decades. However, it isn't the shark that makes the film so great, but the lack thereof. The shark isn't actually shown until halfway through the movie, keeping audiences on the edge of their seats. An invisible enemy combined with the iconic soundtrack by John Williams creates an aura of suspense that is palpable.
The scene that really makes this movie memorable is the speech delivered by Quint to Hooper and Chief Brody out on the Orca after comparing scars and sharing drinks. He describes the weeks he spent floating in the sea after the Indianapolis sank, watching his crewmates get eaten by swarming sharks. Throughout the movie Quint is your stereotypical sea captain, singing sea shanties and drinking almost nothing but booze. Robert Shaw's stony faced, slightly slurred delivery is remarkable, horrifying the audience just as much as it horrified Hooper and Brody. This speech reveals to us why Quint is the way he is while making his death that much more ironic. The thing that has haunted him for most of his life is what ultimately ends up killing him.
½ May 30, 2017
The tension created in Jaws is unlike others. Even without showing the shark for almost half the movie, Spielberg is still able to successfully instill fear in the audience. The iconic "dun uh -dun uh -dun-dun-dun-dun" (which you probably just hummed to yourself while reading), lets viewers know exactly what is about to happen. We do not need to see a civilian getting ripped to shreds to be scared. The music itself is enough to send a chill throughout viewer's' bodies. One of the scariest parts is how ordinary all of the victims are. This allows the viewer's to connect and sympathize more with the characters, and makes it feel more realistic. The movie is relatable to teens, for it is so normal for younger people to hang out on the beach at night. As a teenage viewer, I have now learned that I never want to go swimming at night. It is also relatable for adults, pulling on the heartstrings when little Alex is attacked, almost forcing parents to imagine themselves in the same position. Regardless of age, this movie will make everyone feel uneasy at some point.
I believe this is one of those movies where you pick up on something new every time you watch. The first time, I never would have guessed that the tank would result in the shark's demise. The second time, I wondered how I had totally missed that. As I had learned in film appreciation, every part of a story is important. There are numerous shots that focus on the tank, just filming it laying there for a few seconds, which seems very out of place. In reality, Spielberg was completely foreshadowing the importance the tank would play in the killing of the great white. This movie contains so many little details that can easily be overlooked, but when noticed, just adds more to the creative genius that is Jaws.
May 30, 2017
Jaws is considered to be one of the greatest movies ever made and it is easy to see why. When it came out to be a horror movie in 1975 it is surprising to think that after watching it, there was more to this film than you could have expected from the title and poster of the movie. There are many examples to why this was as great as it came out to be one being that it is considered to be the first ever "summer blockbuster" making way for other films to come and rack up the big bucks during the summer seasons. Second is it's impacted on pop culture, as you can see countless references to the movie in your favorite TV shows, radio stations, and other movies as well. But probably the most impactful is the fact it scared people into thinking there is a shark in the water, after seeing this film you can admit you feel a little skeptical about taking one step into the ocean. The movie has remained a spectacle today and holds up as well and here is why.
When the script was first bought by Universal Studios in 1973, the producers didn't know what to make of it. It was a script that was ready to go into production but they couldn't find the right director or cast for the picture. Once the producers landed on a young director, Steven Spielberg, they were 100% ready for production and had the leading cast of Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, and Richard Dreyfuss ready to go. The film was finished and production was considered hell. Many script changes, malfunctions with the mechanical sharks, and actors having fights with each other. Many of the film crew were surprised by how the film came out including Steven Spielberg. Spielberg said, "I thought this was the beginning of the end of my career, this production continues to haunt me today." But once Jaws hit theater in 1975 people were waiting in lines out of the theatre to go in see it, it became a worldwide phenomenon making $470,653,000 worldwide. Viewers were hooked by this film and it easy to see why.
The reason why Jaws is so great is the well development of layered characters that are not just plain 1 dimensional characters, the filming which made it so frightening as putting the point of view toward the shark and letting the human imagination determine what is doing the damage to the victim, and lastly the pace of the movie, this film did such a great job telling this story and it has the work of Spielberg's taste for adventure all over it. This film keeps viewers hooked from beginning to the end.
When this film ended I wondered whether or not is ok to swim in the ocean. But everytime I step foot in that water and have doubts about what is under the surface of the water, I have this film to thank. Not only that, for this is considered as my favorite movie I have ever seen.
May 30, 2017
Audiences and film critics alike are fans of Spielberg's 1975 summer blockbuster Jaws. The illusive suspense of the killer shark haunting Amity Island paired with the terrifying genius of John Williams's soundtrack transports viewers into a summer vacation gone wrong. A timely thriller to kick off the swim, beach and vacation season, Spielberg struck a gold mine. With this film, theaters and film makers discovered a new market giving birth to the iconic summer blockbuster. American film has this beginning to thank for its long list of beloved summer hits including Back to the Future, The Dark Knight, Grease, Gremlins, Top Gun, Inception, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ghostbusters and Toy Story 3.
Among having Jaws to thank for an abundant list of classic favorites, the film in it of itself hits all the marks. Spielberg's character development comes to a climax in the famous boat scene. The crux of Hooper, Brody and Gardner's understanding of each other is also a revelation to the audience at the same time. While Gardner is giving insight to his character through his anecdote about his encounters with sharks, the speech also serves as a building tension to finally seeing the shark that is the film's driving storyline. In total, this movie is as cinematically stunning, creative and enticing as it is entertaining.
May 30, 2017
Jaws is considered by many to be one of the greatest films ever made and, after watching it again and again, I can't help but agree. The pure terror that is constantly reoccuring through a mechanical shark keeps the audience at the edge of their seats while frustration builds off the shark's incredible power. Spielberg did a brilliant job of concealing the shark until nearly the middle of the film. This creates incredible suspense as the audience waits for the next attack, scaring them away from the ocean. With limited technology, the mechanical shark look fairly realistic but I did not expect it to look so real in the water and later on the boat. This realism adds to the terrifying sequences of attacks as it looks like a real shark that could come back and attack you.
Apart from the shark attacking is the incredible development of the characters themselves. As the film progresses so do the characters, we watch as Chief Brody loses his fear of the water and eventually bests the evil that is the shark. Also, we see a growing relationship between Hooper and Quint as they compare scars which leads to the Quint's monologue telling the story of the USS indianapolis. This story had been analyzed, improvised, and delivered brilliantly through Robert Shaw which commenced the damage to The Orca. The overall journey of the three crew members took the audience to a place they will never forget.
½ May 30, 2017
Watching Jaws, it brought back a lot of memories when I was younger. I remember hearing about this movie all the time at the beach. The music is one of the most memorable and biggest part. The bass slowly going faster and faster when the shark gets closer and closer to its target. It really makes you scared of the unseeable. You don't see the shark until halfway through the movie, but you're still scared right from the start. You're on the edge of your seat waiting for the shark to pop out of the water and claim its next victim, but sometimes they were just false alarms and the shark comes out when you least expect it. The shark itself wasn't that great of a prop, but was used so well by Spielberg in the sense that he only used in quick camera cuts that were also up-close to the shark. One thing that I don't like that the movie did in my opinion is the way sharks are viewed by people now after they watch this movie. This movie made sharks out to be evil monsters that kill everything they see. People started to deliberately go out and kill sharks, people that never even go into the water. People have a slim to none chance of being involved in a shark attack. Overall, I really enjoy this movie and believe everyone should watch this classic movie.
May 30, 2017
My opinions on the movie Jaws directed by Steven Spielberg are mostly positive.
I thought the movie was very good. From the year it was made I'm surprised how all the effects and acting turned out. The beginning of the movie really amazes me because even though you know the movie is about sharks, something about not seeing the actual shark adds an eerie vibe to the movie. You don't really know what's pulling the kids down into the water or how big whatever "it" is. I think Spielberg did a great job at directing it that way. Until when you really start to see the shark for the first time and realize it is a monster and start to fear what everyone in the movie was fearing.
The middle through the end of the movie is my favorite part personally. The three actors they hired for this movie to play Martin Brody, Matt Hooper and Quint was great casting. Each of their roles was not only great acting, but made the movie more interesting to watch. How three very different men come together to defeat this monster of a shark and end up doing it amazes me. What I did not expect was Quint to be the one who died. I figured it would be Hooper since he seemed to be the more weaker one out of the three. The showing of his death was pretty gruesome but also awesome. That's when you really get a close up of what the shark looks like and honestly the special effects were just as good. Again, mentioning from what year this movie was made, I would assume the shark would look like a clay animation. But I was really surprised on how real it looked in the movie. I really was happy with watching this movie, I thought it was a good story plus good effects and shots. I would give this movie 5 stars.
½ May 30, 2017
Similar to what Arachnophobia and Psycho do to showering, Jaws causes you to want to stay on the nice dry beach, far far away from the water's edge this summer. Opened in 1975, Jaws has continued to invoke a psychological fear from the moment Spielberg decided to start his opening scenes off with a girl being attacked by a shark and escalated to a full scale shark attack on the weekend of 4th of July, all leading up to the final man-to-shark battle at the conclusion of the film.

This film is split into two sections- the "before" the shark is seen, and the "after". The "before" part is prior to when Spielberg allows us the pleasure of seeing the much alluded shark. He builds up the idea of 'evil' and 'enemy' with his other characters to go along with the suspense that his film is building up, so we don't even really notice that the shark is missing in a sense. He was able to build this up in his music choices. This "evil" is seen in the mayor (Murry Hamilton) along with the town council, when they refuse to close down the beach even after the first death, because they don't want to lose the town money. Without his stamp of approval, further deaths occurred and he is eventually forced to admit that something must be done about the shark problem.

The shark itself we only see in fleeting and distant sightings, none of which satisfy our desire to see the beast. In the final 20 minutes of the film, do we actually get a full length shot of the creature- and then we see the reason behind Spielberg's non inclusion of the animal- it looks fake. But in retrospect, we did not even need to see it in the earlier moments of the film, since Spielberg's cuts and inclusion of suspenseful music allowed us to have a growing sense of fear and doom anyway.

The end was, in my opinion, a plot twist. There was the defeat of the deadly beast- but there was also the death of a ruthless character we had grown to love- a tragic death at that. There have been many movies that have attempted to replicate this film, and many more that have created spoofs, but nothing will ever be able to compete with Spielberg's work.
May 30, 2017
A pioneer for modern suspense techniques, Steven Spielberg's film Jaws, remains the greatest and uncontested summer beach blockbuster of all time. Even those who have not had the pleasure of watching it know of the famous theme song as the shark slices through the water to reach the next victim. Even more outstanding, the suspense that Jaws created for horror movies to come was by chance. The way the events unfold throughout the movie directly correlate to a broken down mechanical shark and it is not until halfway through the plot that the viewer finally meets Jaws once and for all. For this reason, Spielberg has a unique chance, one that he masterfully uses, of adding an element of mystery to the plot. Often time's before the shark attacks, the viewer gets a high angled shot onto the legs of possible victims before he makes his final move and effectively gives the killer a point of view. One of the most impactful and gruesome uses of this shot is when little Alex Kintner and his yellow float are chose as the next victim and all the viewer sees is a fountain of blood. For some, Jaws hit so close to home that they were repelled by the thought of swimming in the ocean, much less to dip a toe in to feel the water's temperature.
One of the most iconic lines in Jaws is when Matt Hooper says, "What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks, and that's all." This line perfectly encapsulates the essence of the shark and it nonexistent "humanity" and instead refers to it as a machine without thought or feeling. However, this quote also serves to heighten the stories of the people on land, specifically Chief Brody This film may be mistaken for the typical horror bloodbath, yet it works hard to be anything but. This is a story of tragedy, of family, and of humanity. To make sure that the audience understood this, Speilberg added the scene when Brody and his son are sitting at the dinner table. Chief Brody did what was simply evolutionary expected of him when he made "little sharks" yet there is a difference between him and Jaws. When his son starts copying him it shows a clear human and emotional connection that any parent viewing it could relate to. "Give your old man a kiss," Chief Brody says with affection. This is a film about people just as much as it is about a murderous shark. This film is effective in conveying the love and loss between characters and developing their lives. It expertly manipulates the viewer to laugh one second and to feel hopeless the next. Jaws will always be the classic beach movie that is watched the week prior to Memorial Day Weekend to entice the nostalgia and appropriate fear as people head off to swim in the lovely blue sea.
½ May 30, 2017
Breathtaking... This horror movie still gives you goosebumps every time you watch even though the movie was made in the 1970s. This movie had a lot of competition in the 1970s like Star Wars, Rocky, Godfather, and many more. All that competition and Jaws was still one of the top rated movies and top grossing. Special effect were phenomenal for the times and still look good when you watch it in the 21st century. Jaws knew how to keep the audience on their toes.
Jaws made the audience on edge all the time even when nothing was happening. When something did happen, it was unexpected and scary with a good soundtrack. Character development was good and made the audience care for the characters. One of the greatest movies of all time that have so many famous quotes like, "You're gonna need a bigger boat". We expected nothing less from Steven Spielberg.
½ May 30, 2017
Jaws is a fantastic example of multiple techniques coming together to create a masterpiece. The music, camerawork, dialogue, characters, and story all combine to make the movie a classic. With all of these elements Spielberg crafts a film that thrills and entertains the audience throughout the whole experience. The music of the film is a excellent piece, combining simplicity with longer notes. This combination creates a suspenseful and intense atmosphere which fits the premise of the movie perfectly. Using the camera to mimic the point of view of a shark also draws forth the feeling of suspense. The anticipation of not knowing is actually Jaws number one thrilling aspect. Humanity has feared the unknown for as long as we have existed and Spielberg preys upon it like a shark preys upon innocent children.

The interesting characters and story capture the audience keeping them glued to their seats through the entire experience. The characters had personality and felt real, connecting to the viewer on a personal basis. When designing or casting these characters you have to keep in mind how a person or specific character would react in a certain situation. Spielberg achieved this feat with flying colors as everything from the dialogue to the actions that they take it all feels real. That is another thing that Jaws did well is basing the story in reality. None of the story felt farfetch, which is one of the reasons that this movie achieves its goal in scaring people. The idea that this could happen to you is a frightening message, and one that Jaws delivered effectively. Spielberg made a classic that can stand the test of time, and will continue to strike fear into audiences for years to come.
May 30, 2017
Jaws is one of the most terrifying monster movies ever made, yet it has less than 10 minutes of the monster on screen. The shark is not the monster, it is the ingenious music and the tense atmosphere that cause us to dread the creature. However, the shark itself is not even a looming threat until the second half of the film, as the first half and even a majority of the second half are dedicated to the characters. That is why this film holds up even 42 years later, because Spielberg knew to create memorable, likable, interesting characters that hold our attention when the shark is not devouring helpless people. He knew to use the shark sparingly, he knew to turn the shark into an entity with John williams brilliant score, he knew to make every kill different and every scare unique. Spielberg knew that gore and a cool monster wouldn't make a great film, he used the subtlety of a film like Haunted House with the tone/feel of a modern day summer film to create a truly unique and wonderful movie.
The shark is not scary, it's not a very creative design nor does the animatronic look very realistic, but Jaws is terrifying. We almost always see the shark with a point of view shot, giving us a sense of helplessness as we see move through a sea of legs and close in on it's prey. We know what will happen, yet we can only dread the inevitable as the camera cruelly and slowly moves to its target. The music builds up slowly, gradually, going from creating ominous dread to heart-pounding terror right before the kill. Another thing that makes the shark terrifying when it is on screen is the fact that every scare is done in a different way. Unlike a Friday the 13th film or Elm street sequel, where every kill is just an over the top gore fest, every time someone dies it is different. For example, when the teenage girl gets attacked to the shark, we our are cruelly subjected to see almost every minute of her death, hearing every scream and cry, paralyzing us with fear. Yet the Kittner boy's death is completely different, we merely see the mass of blood in the water, and the bitten life raft, making this death more shocking than letting the tragedy come in when The mother calls out for her son in vain. The different methods Spielberg employes to make the shark scary prevents the creature from becoming predictable, keeping the audience on it's toes. However, we are never bored when the shark is off screen, as the main characters are some of the best in blockbuster history.
The writers of this film knew that having a scary monster is not enough to engage an audience or make a film last, so it seems they dedicated more time in making these characters interesting, memorable, likable, and relatable. They succeeded, as years latter we still quote Quint, Hooper, and Martin Brody and even remember the some of the side characters like Ellen and the Mayor. I think what separates these characters from the Jurassic Park-esque stock characters (which can be entertaining in their own right) is that cast is not overly large. We only have 3 main characters in Jaws and primarily follow one, as opposed to something like Lost World, Which starts with out with 5 main characters. Because of the relatively small cast, our main trio get much more focus and are able to be fleshed out in a more natural way. There are no long, Shyamalan style expostion monologues explaining the characters to us, we simply watch the characters. We are introduced to Brody by seeing his family life and average routine, We see Hooper mocking the shark hunters and how he does his job, and we gradually see Quint go from unhinged sailor to insane hunter. The film lets us grow attached to these characters, allows the audience to form a connection with them, become invested in them. Brody, Hooper, and Quint personality feel organic and fresh, allowing from some fun and interesting interactions. My favorite is the relationship between Quint and Hooper, as their polar opposite personalities bounce off each other in some brilliant scenes. Quint's rough, old fashioned, and violent personality clashes with both Hooper's jumpy, sarcastic persona and reserved and scientific approach. Yet despite their passionate arguments, Hooper seems to have a desire to prove himself to Quint or best him. This perfectly exemplified when Quint crushes and empty can, and Hooper crushes a plastic cup in response. You could show someone this scene and they would instantly get an idea of what these characters are like and how they work off each other. Brody, Hooper, and Quint are the reason why Jaws is a great film, they are the reason we watch this film over and over again. When they are not on screen, the hybrid of slow cinematography and intense music known the characters refer to as a shark keep on the edge of our seats. This is why Jaws is the greatest horror film ever made, one of the greatest blockbusters ever made, and a cinematic masterpiece.