Jaws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws Reviews

June 20, 2018
The film created the summer blockbusters you see today and it is still a league beyond other creature features. Spielberg was in the early days of his career and noticeably some of the performances are overbearing and shots slightly out of focus, but it is a classic film never the less. The score is iconic and lampooned within pop culture filmmaking, you could visit anywhere and people will know this film. My biggest whinge factor about Hollywood is that they cannot make films like this anymore. This was a huge gamble, a horror mainstream film that has a brilliant in the making director. Hollywood use to make films that could live forever, this is a prime example of brilliant filmmaking that has endured the test of time. I caught this on the big screen and I love it now just like I did when I saw it on VHS all those years ago. Essential film to see. 20/06/2018.
June 20, 2018
The debut blockbuster, Jaws, invaded U.S cinemas forty years ago today. The PG rated, 124 minute fear factor feature adaptation novel immediately caught the film-going audiences in 75.
Universal's Jaws swallowed instant success at the box-office, with $260,000,000 unadjusted domestic gross and a staggering $1,173,202,000 adjusted domestic gross.
Possibly the most well constructed horror story in cinematic history, having the actual Great White appear just over half way into the motion picture. Its dooming presence is established in the opening sequence as it takes the life of Susan Backlinie.
All three characters are perfectly set-up and have well balanced screentime. Captain Martin Brody (Roy Scheider) is Amity's police chief, and he is the one who reacts in the same way audience do, petfrified of the waters and concerned for the people of Amity Island. We genuinely feel sympathy for him when he is publicly shamed by Mrs. Kintner from the loss of her child, blaming Brody for his death. This brings us to the character Larry Vaughn, the Mayor of Amity Island and pressures Brody to keep the beaches open for the 4th July, ending in disaster as Micheal Brody ends up hospital from the shock of seeing a man eaten by the shark. Then there is Quint (Robert Shaw), the intimidating but comedic with his witty lines such as, "Half assed astronaut" to Hooper and "I saw one eat a rocking chair once." The man ex-navy marine has a good heart and has a hatred for sharks. My favourite character is next, Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss), the witty scientist is the perfect example of a well rounded person. As he is the shark expert and bring fear into the audience as we see him terrified of the aftermath of Susan Backlinie. The chemistry of all three characters really come together when they are on the Orca and are hunting the killing machine. Especially the chemistry between Hooper and Quint butting heads of old vs new theme. But, then bonding when sharing scars from past shark attacks and all three men singing together.
The direction Spielberg chooses to go is without question perfect with the pacing not being too slow or too fast. The gradual build of tension throughout the motion picture pays off with the final battle with Brody and the man eating shark.
Of course the score has to be mentioned with the great John Williams orchestrating it. Probably the most known theme in cinema, the film wouldn't be the same without the intensifying and sinister tone. It supports the film perfectly whenever the shark was on and off the camera.
Overall Jaws is in my top five of Spielberg's filmography. The classic blockbuster will always be remembered as a monument in the horror genre.
June 18, 2018
Where it all began, the original horror film that made me not want to bathe for weeks, apparently (at least that's what my mom says). I still can't believe my parents took me to it at the age of 3, but nonetheless I sat in the CInemark Classic Remaster of the original with my own children, though they were considerably more mature (at 16 and 12). I have attempted to watch this on cable in the past, but just couldn't start at the beginning. This time seeing it all the way through with adult eyes made me realize how well done it was. It legitimately startled me on one or two occasions and the fakeness of the shark didn't bother me that much. However, I will say it's one of Spielberg's weaker films. Which, at 4 stars, is still pretty damn good. If I could only forget he made War Horse...
June 16, 2018
You're gonna need a bigger boat!
June 6, 2018
The greatest film ever made in my humble opinion. When it is scary, it is terrifying. When it is funny, it is truly hilarious. When it is adventurous, it is swashbuckling at its finest. A film all should enjoy at some point!
June 3, 2018
how can anyone hate jaws? the characters are great, the storytelling is perfect and even spielberg knew he was making a masterpiece when he was filming. the characters in the book are very different and pretty unlikable. but the film has some of the most iconic movie characters of all time my favorite being Quint
½ June 3, 2018
A classic movie, need I say more.
May 20, 2018
A cinematic allegory for the Vietnam War. Yes, the score, the perfectly executed three acts, and the delayed reveal of the shark all pay off in the end, but its the class warfare of the three men's souls while on the boat that truly captures the state of the nation, in the waning months of America's longest war.
½ May 20, 2018
Ok, listen up. This movie is ALMOST perfect. We thought there was a big missed opportunity for a mermaid romance. Hear us out. Sure the war really wore on our buddy (Quint) but don't you think mermaid heartbreak would be more original? Since we don't have a time machine, let's set the scene. In their quest for the shark, the fellas take a little break when they happen upon a peaceful looking island, which happens to be home of Cerulian, a beautiful mermaid. The fellas set up a campfire, get drunk, tell more scar stories, and fall asleep. In the middle of the night, Quint wakes up abruptly to discover Cerulian perched on a rock under the bright moonlight. They get wet and wild but agree that this was nothing more than ships passing in the night. The next morning the trio heads back to conquer that daggone shark. Quint cant get Cerulian off of his mind. He writes her love letters and sends them in bottles. The rest of Quint's fate is carried out as is, in the original picture, but we have more explanation as to HOW HE WAS THE ONE WHO GOT EATEN BY THE SHARK AND NOT THAT LAME LAME HOOPER as he was distracted BY LOVE. At the end of the movie, we see Cerulian receiving the bottle messages and pan down to see she is pregnant- the mermaid gestational period is very quick.
½ May 19, 2018
Honestly, I've been told that I have terrible taste in movies, and I liked this one so really you guys should all re-evaluate how you perceive this movie if your rating is similar to mine. I thought it was very good and the score was iconic. Would recommend for sure.
May 14, 2018
The Greatest shark movie, and the movie that made Steven Spielberg a star and single handily invented the Block Buster
May 2, 2018
This film needs no introduction. Jaws has impacted so many generations with its iconic soundtrack and edge of your seat suspense
½ May 2, 2018
The Jaws functions both as an epic seafaring adventure, as well as a horror-like masterpiece, combining legendary scenes with impressive choreography and visuals, ensuring that this Steven Spielberg work remains a legend in the industry.
April 21, 2018
****
I'm not entirely sure why it's taken me so long to get around to this. I've seen a number of clips of the movie on TV many times, but this is my first full viewing of Steven Spielberg's breakout movie, 'Jaws'. This is the definition of good blockbuster filmmaking - it's well-made, consistently thrilling and - most importantly - bundles of fun. It's not a deep character study, and it's not going to change the way you view anything (except maybe the sea), but the excellent craft of Spielberg behind the camera, along with two fantastic central performances are what elevate the material. Pure fun, but perfectly-executed fun.
April 18, 2018
Tiburón no es una de las grandes obras maestras del cine de suspense y uno de los gérmenes del blockbuster veraniego porque sí; es sin duda una obra que parece cuidada hasta el más mínimo detalle en todos sus aspectos plásticos y literarios.

Es bien sabido a día de hoy que es más fruto del infortunio y la casualidad, pero lo cierto es que si no hubiese habido destrás de este proyecto una serie de personas realmente apasionadas y que estaban dispuestas a dejarse la piel por sacarlo adelante (y que si no se lo pregunten a la cordura del señor Spielberg), Tiburón habría sido un producto muy diferente que puede que incluso no hubiese calado en el imaginario cultural mundial tanto como lo hizo.

Una obra maestra que aun sigue siendo perfecta.
½ April 14, 2018
the first blockbuster proved spielberg's worth, and this genuinely thrilling ride influenced many movies after this. one of the greatest of all time.
April 11, 2018
probably the best shark movie ever
April 4, 2018
A fantastic thrill ride with good perfomances and story.
½ March 28, 2018
A classic no doubt, it plays on fears, it has that monster movie vibe to it, it does everything it should do. Although this is a classic, austere, and riveting film to watch, it is not one thing: This is not a horror movie. Its one thing to call this a horror film, its another to call it one of the greatest, therefore depriving itself of horror movie status. For first time watchers I suggest nothing for going into this film, its so tenor and simplistic that it has been permitted to be a classic of film and hollywood, even though there might not be many!