Jaws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws Reviews

January 19, 2017
Great soundtrack. Well done suspense. Pretty impressive anamatronics.
January 12, 2017
Gave this a re-watch with the wife on Blu-ray, as it's one of her favorite films, and it holds up amazingly well even after all these years. You can really see how this turned into a summer blockbuster and changed how we look at movies, as it builds in such a way as to keep you guessing who might be expendable, where the beast may strike next.

Highly recommended.
January 7, 2017
Great film. I've always loved it. The only flaw is that the pacing is a bit weird and it is quite slow
January 2, 2017
Back when I first saw this film as a child, it scared me quite a bit. Later, when I watched it again for the first time in a while, it didn't scare me as much, but it certainly was thrilling. Now, having read the book it was based on, I have a fuller and more in-depth understanding and appreciation of all sides of this classic story. With the knowledge of what was missing in the movie from the book, I thought it would detract from the viewing experience. Instead, I found that the book and the film covered two very different aspects of the story, each expertly done for the utilized medium.

In the book (which was released a year before the film), we find that the shark hunt is not only a matter of public safety but also infused with the politics of the island of Amity and the personal drama of a cuckolded police chief. These human elements made the characters seem more like the monsters than the actual shark did. Those who have seen the film will know that there is no affair with the police chief's wife, mainly because there's no time to cover it. Instead, the film focuses on the tense chase and destruction of the shark that terrorized an island in the midst of the height of its tourist season.

What I found interesting about watching Jaws this time around was actually how Hitchcock-esque the film seemed. As Spielberg's breakout film, Jaws did have a few moments of his signature, albeit still undeveloped style, but much of it almost felt like Alfred Hitchcock was behind the camera (especially with the "Vertigo shot" at the beach). So much of the cinematography was expertly framed and shot that you almost don't realize that practically a third (or more) of the film is just three men on a boat. Even though I had seen this film many times before, it still is a thrilling ride up until the explosive conclusion.

An excellent film adaptation to accompany a fantastic book's plot, I give Jaws 4.0 stars out of 5.
December 29, 2016
This film really creeps out a lot of people with its shark and the suspense is handled beautifully Thanks Steven Spielberg and John Williams
December 29, 2016
Not my cup of tea but a cinematic thrill.
December 29, 2016
Although the titular shark of the movie 'Jaws' has aged poorly, Steven Spielberg's excellent direction and the incredible performances from top actors ensured that Jaws would go down in history as one of the many greats. The only negative to Jaws is that it inspired thousands of shark films, none of which have ever reached its level and most of which are a curse to the world.

Jaws cannot be anything but five stars; it's brilliant acting - specifically, Robert Shaw's - as well as some excellent writing and great imagery means that the film will no doubt stay in the minds, and bring fear to the minds, of all viewers for as long as it can be seen.
December 29, 2016
Peter Benchley and Steven Spielberg conspired to make me terrified to even take a bath when they created this classic movie. Straight away, we have to deal with the giant rubber shark that leaps onto the boat towards the climax of the movie. It didn't really work in the 1970s and it really doesn't work now but by the time it appears, it ceases to matter as the sheer terror has been well established. The movie is formed of two distinct acts. Firstly, we have the onshore story of how the small American community of Amity Island learn of the monstrous, great white shark that has come to visit their shallows at the start of the holiday season. While in the second act, we go aboard the fishing vessel Orca with her captain, the local police chief and a shark expert and follow their attempt to track and kill the beast. This second act is a real jewel of a character piece thanks to the fine acting talents of Robert Shaw, Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss. I love the scene where Shaw's Quint and Dreyfuss' Hooper compare scars in an attempt at one-upmanship and the line from Schneider's Chief Brody "You're going to need a bigger boat!" has entered film legend. There's also that terrific score by John Williams that does so much to terrify the viewer. The theme is now such a part of popular culture that there can be few of us that haven't had those menacing bars of music reverberating through our heads at some point while we paddle in the sea at Paignton.
December 26, 2016
A cerebral horror, a nail biting suspense, and a magnificent adventure epic, Jaws is a masterpiece classic that is thoroughly engaging and has all the elements of a terrific story.
December 23, 2016
"You're gonna need a bigger boat." Director Steven Spielberg explores onto the scene with the horror-thriller Jaws. When the mangled remains of a swimmer are discovered, small-town police chief Martin Brody comes to believe that a rogue shark is prowling the waters and attempts to close down the beaches. Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss, and Robert Shaw lead the cast and deliver some pretty good performances. But the real star of course is the shark, and Spielberg does an excellent job at giving it a real sense of terror. And one cannot overestimate the impact of John Williams' score, which heightens the tension and suspense, taking it to the next level. Playing on our primal fears, Jaws is a terrifying monster movie.
December 9, 2016
One of THE BEST films ever made, Steven Spielberg's Jaws mixes a basic plot. good, memorable and well-written characters, memorable shark scenes, lines, etc! Still remains one of my favorites!!
December 7, 2016
Awesome! The one film which defines the meaning of the term "Action/Thriller!" Just don't be too paranoid to go back into the water!
December 5, 2016
'Jaws' is a classic example of a masterpiece in cinematic movie making. I watched it on the remastered Blu-ray edition today for the first time since I last watched it probably 15 years ago either on VHS or DVD. It's a film I've so rarely seen that I'd almost forgot the main and finer details and indeed the plot developments which happen over the entire course of its 2 hour run time. I'd forgotten who the sharks victim's were and how the film ended. In fact, I almost completely forgotten the last third of the film until today.

For some films, time does not treat them well, and there are certain 'classics' ('Once Upon a Time in America'/'The Deer Hunter' to name two) which are not particularly good. I feared this would this would be the case with Jaws, especially as I could barely remember any of it, indicating that my viewing of it was a forgettable experience. Well, that assumption couldn't have been further from the truth. The direction and cinematography are (still) outstanding, the story is paced nicely provided a few jumps and plenty of tension and suspense along the way. The acting is solid from all the cast, and the main protagonists are all likeable and memorable in their own (often midly quirky) way. Clearly I wasn't paying attention when I watched 'Jaws' all those years ago! I was also surprised to learn just how good the effects and the formidable shark have stood the test of time.

Of further note, the remastered Blu-ray is probably one of the best I've had the pleasure to experience. Spielberg and Co. were on the board for this remaster, and it clearly shows. The picture quality, and all that entails, is superb for a film of this age, but what utterly stunned me was just how well they remixed and remaster the audio. Due to the fact that this film was produced and released (1975) in the 70's, it's hardly surprising that the original track was produced in mono. The Blu-ray remix and remaster is now in 7.1, but this is probably the only remix of a film of this age that works this well, at least on my experience. Most of the remix is largely front heavy (with the exception of the superb musical score) but it provides excellent and natural spacing. But there are also occasional (when the scenes call for it) nicely placed discrete effects that really brings the viewer into the scene. The dialogue is also super clear but not tinny or abrasive like some dialogue recording of a similar era. Quite simply, like the film itself, this is a remaster that defies the test of time and sounds much more modern than it is. 5/5
November 25, 2016
I give this movie an A+
½ November 21, 2016
An epic story, with great scenes and great thrills. This is just one of those movies you have to see before you die. Even to this day, it still holds up.
November 12, 2016
A really tense atmosphere of horror and suspense on the beach... Mastery in achievement of this environment, really good acting and delightful music..
November 9, 2016
One of the best movies ever. Thanks Steven Spielberg
November 6, 2016
Many if not all shark movies are garbage. But Jaws is the movie which does the shark formula right. After a girl gets dragged under water, pieces of her wash up and people start investigating what happened only to find out that a man eating shark is in the water. This movie has so many memorable scenes and every time someone goes to a beach, people always do the music to annoy you. Jaws is a truly brilliant film which is often called one of the greatest American films ever made. AFI put it at number 56 in their list of the 100 greatest movies. This is a truly brilliant film and it's considered the first true summer blockbuster. Many of its scenes are highly iconic and some scenes left a permanent mark in movie history as we know it. The 3 characters who went to kill the shark all had terrific performances. This is one of those films that about every kid knows about. This movie is so quotable and I could recite many famous quotes from the movie. Even though the shark looks artificial and fake nowadays, there's no denying that the film had an enormous impact on cinema. This movie made everyone fear the water and it will likely be watched for many generations.
October 30, 2016
Love this movie! It changed filmmaking in the best way! I'm most impressed that I still enjoy it after so many years and repeated viewings. Highly recommended!
October 29, 2016
One of the greatest movies ever... PERIOD.