Jaws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws Reviews

April 21, 2018
****
I'm not entirely sure why it's taken me so long to get around to this. I've seen a number of clips of the movie on TV many times, but this is my first full viewing of Steven Spielberg's breakout movie, 'Jaws'. This is the definition of good blockbuster filmmaking - it's well-made, consistently thrilling and - most importantly - bundles of fun. It's not a deep character study, and it's not going to change the way you view anything (except maybe the sea), but the excellent craft of Spielberg behind the camera, along with two fantastic central performances are what elevate the material. Pure fun, but perfectly-executed fun.
April 18, 2018
Tiburón no es una de las grandes obras maestras del cine de suspense y uno de los gérmenes del blockbuster veraniego porque sí; es sin duda una obra que parece cuidada hasta el más mínimo detalle en todos sus aspectos plásticos y literarios.

Es bien sabido a día de hoy que es más fruto del infortunio y la casualidad, pero lo cierto es que si no hubiese habido destrás de este proyecto una serie de personas realmente apasionadas y que estaban dispuestas a dejarse la piel por sacarlo adelante (y que si no se lo pregunten a la cordura del señor Spielberg), Tiburón habría sido un producto muy diferente que puede que incluso no hubiese calado en el imaginario cultural mundial tanto como lo hizo.

Una obra maestra que aun sigue siendo perfecta.
½ April 14, 2018
the first blockbuster proved spielberg's worth, and this genuinely thrilling ride influenced many movies after this. one of the greatest of all time.
April 11, 2018
probably the best shark movie ever
April 4, 2018
A fantastic thrill ride with good perfomances and story.
½ March 28, 2018
A classic no doubt, it plays on fears, it has that monster movie vibe to it, it does everything it should do. Although this is a classic, austere, and riveting film to watch, it is not one thing: This is not a horror movie. Its one thing to call this a horror film, its another to call it one of the greatest, therefore depriving itself of horror movie status. For first time watchers I suggest nothing for going into this film, its so tenor and simplistic that it has been permitted to be a classic of film and hollywood, even though there might not be many!
½ March 21, 2018
Shark eats people. Shark dies.
½ March 20, 2018
A fine movie, but I honestly don't see the mass appeal. I liked Richard Dreyfuss' character, but the mayor was idiotic and the pacing was a little off
March 15, 2018
The greatest film ever made. Period.
March 10, 2018
Classic film, best acting I ever seen
March 10, 2018
One of the best films ever made. It's not just about the sharks. It's about a town caught up in panic, and it's about the people whose job it is to find the shark that is causing havoc. Roy scheider, Robert Shaw, and Richard Dreyfuss make this the film it is. I read the book about the time the film came out but wasn't impressed by it. So I didn't see the film for about 20 years after it was released and when I did I was completely blown away by it. phenomenal film
½ March 9, 2018
very well made. The tension builds up from the scene when the woman is in danger(at the start), and it explodes when the creature actually reveals itself. the music fits in very well, making the whole suspense more intense. it is at least the best shark-horror movie, and one of sphilberg's best.
March 7, 2018
For one reason and another, I actually just watched this for the first time. I don't know if I've ever seen a film with more hype behind it, and I'm certain I've never seen one that lived up to its hype so well.
½ February 27, 2018
Fun fact: Watch the movie carefully you can see a real meteor going across the sky.
February 27, 2018
Everything all the Top Critics have said. Obviously suspenseful. The characters are entertaining. Has some great funny moments. I thought only the last death scene was very gory. That was the only time I had to turn away. I saw this as a young child and I developed a terrible shark phobia. My palms would sweat just walking on a pier.
½ February 23, 2018
Steady pace with a good cast. Huge sharks are cool.
½ February 22, 2018
One of the first real summer blockbusters, Jaws relies on characters to tell its story and not the sharks themselves, giving a movie that still holds up surprisingly well. It is impossible to talk about Spielberg's amazing career without mentioning this film.
½ February 21, 2018
Spielberg's entrance onto the world's psyche begins with the sharing of a secret. What secret? That there's a monster out there somewhere. A big monster. Ferocious. He then allows us to frustratingly stew, ratcheting up the tension, as nobody onscreen believes it. John Williams aids considerably with his monster's theme music --- we don't have to see him to know that he's there. And so cinema itself was changed forever. Just as Psycho kept people from showering, many's the soul who avoided swimming after watching this. Maybe perfect horror.
February 18, 2018
Plain And Simple The Greatest Movie Ever Made Kept People Out Of The Oceans For A Long Time! A Flat Out Masterpiece!
February 17, 2018
What I loved about this movie was the way Spielberg was able to build suspense in such a marvelous way! You know the shark's coming, but it's just a matter of when. And the waiting is almost unbearable! But you just can't wait for what happens next. The only thing I wish about this movie, was that it tied some loose ends that were left hanging. Overall, this is just a great, classic, scary movie!!