Jaws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws Reviews

½ February 23, 2018
Steady pace with a good cast. Huge sharks are cool.
½ February 22, 2018
One of the first real summer blockbusters, Jaws relies on characters to tell its story and not the sharks themselves, giving a movie that still holds up surprisingly well. It is impossible to talk about Spielberg's amazing career without mentioning this film.
½ February 21, 2018
Spielberg's entrance onto the world's psyche begins with the sharing of a secret. What secret? That there's a monster out there somewhere. A big monster. Ferocious. He then allows us to frustratingly stew, ratcheting up the tension, as nobody onscreen believes it. John Williams aids considerably with his monster's theme music --- we don't have to see him to know that he's there. And so cinema itself was changed forever. Just as Psycho kept people from showering, many's the soul who avoided swimming after watching this. Maybe perfect horror.
February 18, 2018
Plain And Simple The Greatest Movie Ever Made Kept People Out Of The Oceans For A Long Time! A Flat Out Masterpiece!
February 17, 2018
What I loved about this movie was the way Spielberg was able to build suspense in such a marvelous way! You know the shark's coming, but it's just a matter of when. And the waiting is almost unbearable! But you just can't wait for what happens next. The only thing I wish about this movie, was that it tied some loose ends that were left hanging. Overall, this is just a great, classic, scary movie!!
February 17, 2018
A timeless classic that manages to captivate me every time. Robert Shaw is perfect, Dreyfuss is cynical and Scheider is naive, what a team that wants to capture the mammoth of a killing machine. I am still scarred from seeing the foot floating down to the ocean floor from seeing it as a 6 year old. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 15, 2018
Cinema bliss in every way, age doesn't hurt it, and I re-watch it at least once every year.
February 13, 2018
My Whole family still has issues going into the ocean after this movie. Epic adventure into a world that is not our own, we only think it is.
February 11, 2018
This movie is a misunderstood masterpiece. Yes, it is about a shark, but it is so much more than that. I watched this movie and all its sequels, and the sequels disappointed me so much more than I could have expected. They all missed the point. Jaws 2 copied the original story but added high school drama--childish drama is not the appeal of Jaws. Every other sequel missed this point as well.
When I watched Jaws for the first time, it reminded me of one of my favorite books: The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. The appeal of Jaws is not the shark; we only even see the shark two or three times in the entire movie. The point of the movie is Martin's determination to protect his island and the psychological and physical struggles he will endure to do that; this is, in my opinion, very comparable to Santiago's struggle with the marlin. These two narratives are respectable and inspiring. And that, I think, is what makes Jaws an amazing movie (and it's sequels not so much).
½ February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 5
Age/Originality: 5
Total: 22/25
February 3, 2018
One of the greatest movies ever... PERIOD. Perfect. How it isn't 100/100 here is... I can't even.
January 26, 2018
Simply the best film ever made.
January 21, 2018
Action good, but so many slooooow scenes.
January 14, 2018
Set in the 1970's, Jaws tells the story of a small east-coast town whose world turns upside down as its people continue to be picked off one by one. The story follows the town's chief as he investigates the source of the issue. Through watching the film, I found myself thoroughly enjoying it quite a bit more than I anticipated. Jaws didn't fail to let me down in terms of suspense and surprise, and that was thanks to the editing. I feel that this was especially achieved in the pacing of the editing. Editor Verna Fields does a great job at drawing out each shot to build tension and to create and further the suspense. This is evidenced in a particular scene that takes place at the beach. The chief of police has just discovered that a great white shark has caused the initial death on the beach. In his attempt to shut down the beach, the town's mayor, who insists on keeping the beach open regardless, intercepts him. In the scene, the chief is on edge as he keeps watch of the beach's attendees. The scene cuts between different drawn out shots of those attendees as we wait in impatience for the potential impending threat. I found myself constantly on edge as I watched through these moments. The payoff of the scene being executed the way that it was were those great moments of surprise when the shark would finally surface and take on its next prey. I watched the film with some friends of mine, and we would literally jump out of our seats every time this would happen. One thing that I particularly enjoyed was that in the scenes that the shark made an appearance in, even though you knew the shark was coming, you were still surprised when it materialized.
January 10, 2018
Oh Jaws how do i love thee, let me count the ways: John Williams peerlessly iconic score, Chrissie Watkins late night swim, The always horrifying Kintner boy scene, "A WHAAAAAAT"?, the lovely father and son at the dinner table scene, Ben Gardners head, that first gut chilling overhead glimpse of Bruce as he glides silently under the water to get that poor estuary guy, Quint, the crushing cups scene, "Your gonna need a bigger boat", the shooting stars, the scar comparison, the spine tingling Indianapolis monologue, the cage, the gas tank, "Smile you son of a bitch!!" The magic moments in this movie, the goose bump inducing, chilling, terrifying, thrilling, truly funny, dark, jumpy, dramatic, magical scenes of pure Spielbergian brilliance are almost too many. The perfect movie. If you dont like it then im not sure what to do with you.
January 2, 2018
Truly groundbreaking. A good mixture of character development, contemporary issues, and a story culminating in believable action sequences. Good drama.
½ January 1, 2018
This is one of Spielberg's best films. It's extremely exciting and really gripping. There are some pretty scary moments and some really iconic scenes. The three lead performances are great, and overall , it's a fantastic film.
December 29, 2017
I believe this is Spielberg's best.
December 27, 2017
With Excellent Acting, Spectacular Directing, And Memorable Music, "Jaws" becomes the first summer blockbuster and greatest film in cinema history with Steven Spielberg at his finest. Intense and perfectly constructed, no film can surpass the affect it had. The cast are flawless, that alluring theme is perfectly unsettling, and the effects and cinematography are perfecly shot making Jaws a landmark in cinema. Re-watchable every time and it only gets better and better. Verdict: Masterpiece.
December 26, 2017
Spielbergs best with Raiders not far behind.