Jaws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws Reviews

½ March 21, 2018
Shark eats people. Shark dies.
½ March 20, 2018
A fine movie, but I honestly don't see the mass appeal. I liked Richard Dreyfuss' character, but the mayor was idiotic and the pacing was a little off
March 15, 2018
The greatest film ever made. Period.
March 10, 2018
Classic film, best acting I ever seen
March 10, 2018
One of the best films ever made. It's not just about the sharks. It's about a town caught up in panic, and it's about the people whose job it is to find the shark that is causing havoc. Roy scheider, Robert Shaw, and Richard Dreyfuss make this the film it is. I read the book about the time the film came out but wasn't impressed by it. So I didn't see the film for about 20 years after it was released and when I did I was completely blown away by it. phenomenal film
½ March 9, 2018
very well made. The tension builds up from the scene when the woman is in danger(at the start), and it explodes when the creature actually reveals itself. the music fits in very well, making the whole suspense more intense. it is at least the best shark-horror movie, and one of sphilberg's best.
March 7, 2018
For one reason and another, I actually just watched this for the first time. I don't know if I've ever seen a film with more hype behind it, and I'm certain I've never seen one that lived up to its hype so well.
½ February 27, 2018
Fun fact: Watch the movie carefully you can see a real meteor going across the sky.
February 27, 2018
Everything all the Top Critics have said. Obviously suspenseful. The characters are entertaining. Has some great funny moments. I thought only the last death scene was very gory. That was the only time I had to turn away. I saw this as a young child and I developed a terrible shark phobia. My palms would sweat just walking on a pier.
½ February 23, 2018
Steady pace with a good cast. Huge sharks are cool.
½ February 22, 2018
One of the first real summer blockbusters, Jaws relies on characters to tell its story and not the sharks themselves, giving a movie that still holds up surprisingly well. It is impossible to talk about Spielberg's amazing career without mentioning this film.
½ February 21, 2018
Spielberg's entrance onto the world's psyche begins with the sharing of a secret. What secret? That there's a monster out there somewhere. A big monster. Ferocious. He then allows us to frustratingly stew, ratcheting up the tension, as nobody onscreen believes it. John Williams aids considerably with his monster's theme music --- we don't have to see him to know that he's there. And so cinema itself was changed forever. Just as Psycho kept people from showering, many's the soul who avoided swimming after watching this. Maybe perfect horror.
February 18, 2018
Plain And Simple The Greatest Movie Ever Made Kept People Out Of The Oceans For A Long Time! A Flat Out Masterpiece!
February 17, 2018
What I loved about this movie was the way Spielberg was able to build suspense in such a marvelous way! You know the shark's coming, but it's just a matter of when. And the waiting is almost unbearable! But you just can't wait for what happens next. The only thing I wish about this movie, was that it tied some loose ends that were left hanging. Overall, this is just a great, classic, scary movie!!
February 17, 2018
A timeless classic that manages to captivate me every time. Robert Shaw is perfect, Dreyfuss is cynical and Scheider is naive, what a team that wants to capture the mammoth of a killing machine. I am still scarred from seeing the foot floating down to the ocean floor from seeing it as a 6 year old. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 15, 2018
Cinema bliss in every way, age doesn't hurt it, and I re-watch it at least once every year.
February 13, 2018
My Whole family still has issues going into the ocean after this movie. Epic adventure into a world that is not our own, we only think it is.
February 11, 2018
This movie is a misunderstood masterpiece. Yes, it is about a shark, but it is so much more than that. I watched this movie and all its sequels, and the sequels disappointed me so much more than I could have expected. They all missed the point. Jaws 2 copied the original story but added high school drama--childish drama is not the appeal of Jaws. Every other sequel missed this point as well.
When I watched Jaws for the first time, it reminded me of one of my favorite books: The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. The appeal of Jaws is not the shark; we only even see the shark two or three times in the entire movie. The point of the movie is Martin's determination to protect his island and the psychological and physical struggles he will endure to do that; this is, in my opinion, very comparable to Santiago's struggle with the marlin. These two narratives are respectable and inspiring. And that, I think, is what makes Jaws an amazing movie (and it's sequels not so much).
½ February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 5
Age/Originality: 5
Total: 22/25
February 3, 2018
One of the greatest movies ever... PERIOD. Perfect. How it isn't 100/100 here is... I can't even.