Jaws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws Reviews

May 20, 2018
A cinematic allegory for the Vietnam War. Yes, the score, the perfectly executed three acts, and the delayed reveal of the shark all pay off in the end, but its the class warfare of the three men's souls while on the boat that truly captures the state of the nation, in the waning months of America's longest war.
½ May 20, 2018
Ok, listen up. This movie is ALMOST perfect. We thought there was a big missed opportunity for a mermaid romance. Hear us out. Sure the war really wore on our buddy (Quint) but don't you think mermaid heartbreak would be more original? Since we don't have a time machine, let's set the scene. In their quest for the shark, the fellas take a little break when they happen upon a peaceful looking island, which happens to be home of Cerulian, a beautiful mermaid. The fellas set up a campfire, get drunk, tell more scar stories, and fall asleep. In the middle of the night, Quint wakes up abruptly to discover Cerulian perched on a rock under the bright moonlight. They get wet and wild but agree that this was nothing more than ships passing in the night. The next morning the trio heads back to conquer that daggone shark. Quint cant get Cerulian off of his mind. He writes her love letters and sends them in bottles. The rest of Quint's fate is carried out as is, in the original picture, but we have more explanation as to HOW HE WAS THE ONE WHO GOT EATEN BY THE SHARK AND NOT THAT LAME LAME HOOPER as he was distracted BY LOVE. At the end of the movie, we see Cerulian receiving the bottle messages and pan down to see she is pregnant- the mermaid gestational period is very quick.
½ May 19, 2018
Honestly, I've been told that I have terrible taste in movies, and I liked this one so really you guys should all re-evaluate how you perceive this movie if your rating is similar to mine. I thought it was very good and the score was iconic. Would recommend for sure.
May 14, 2018
The Greatest shark movie, and the movie that made Steven Spielberg a star and single handily invented the Block Buster
May 2, 2018
This film needs no introduction. Jaws has impacted so many generations with its iconic soundtrack and edge of your seat suspense
½ May 2, 2018
The Jaws functions both as an epic seafaring adventure, as well as a horror-like masterpiece, combining legendary scenes with impressive choreography and visuals, ensuring that this Steven Spielberg work remains a legend in the industry.
April 21, 2018
****
I'm not entirely sure why it's taken me so long to get around to this. I've seen a number of clips of the movie on TV many times, but this is my first full viewing of Steven Spielberg's breakout movie, 'Jaws'. This is the definition of good blockbuster filmmaking - it's well-made, consistently thrilling and - most importantly - bundles of fun. It's not a deep character study, and it's not going to change the way you view anything (except maybe the sea), but the excellent craft of Spielberg behind the camera, along with two fantastic central performances are what elevate the material. Pure fun, but perfectly-executed fun.
April 18, 2018
Tiburón no es una de las grandes obras maestras del cine de suspense y uno de los gérmenes del blockbuster veraniego porque sí; es sin duda una obra que parece cuidada hasta el más mínimo detalle en todos sus aspectos plásticos y literarios.

Es bien sabido a día de hoy que es más fruto del infortunio y la casualidad, pero lo cierto es que si no hubiese habido destrás de este proyecto una serie de personas realmente apasionadas y que estaban dispuestas a dejarse la piel por sacarlo adelante (y que si no se lo pregunten a la cordura del señor Spielberg), Tiburón habría sido un producto muy diferente que puede que incluso no hubiese calado en el imaginario cultural mundial tanto como lo hizo.

Una obra maestra que aun sigue siendo perfecta.
½ April 14, 2018
the first blockbuster proved spielberg's worth, and this genuinely thrilling ride influenced many movies after this. one of the greatest of all time.
April 11, 2018
probably the best shark movie ever
April 4, 2018
A fantastic thrill ride with good perfomances and story.
½ March 28, 2018
A classic no doubt, it plays on fears, it has that monster movie vibe to it, it does everything it should do. Although this is a classic, austere, and riveting film to watch, it is not one thing: This is not a horror movie. Its one thing to call this a horror film, its another to call it one of the greatest, therefore depriving itself of horror movie status. For first time watchers I suggest nothing for going into this film, its so tenor and simplistic that it has been permitted to be a classic of film and hollywood, even though there might not be many!
½ March 21, 2018
Shark eats people. Shark dies.
½ March 20, 2018
A fine movie, but I honestly don't see the mass appeal. I liked Richard Dreyfuss' character, but the mayor was idiotic and the pacing was a little off
March 15, 2018
The greatest film ever made. Period.
March 10, 2018
Classic film, best acting I ever seen
March 10, 2018
One of the best films ever made. It's not just about the sharks. It's about a town caught up in panic, and it's about the people whose job it is to find the shark that is causing havoc. Roy scheider, Robert Shaw, and Richard Dreyfuss make this the film it is. I read the book about the time the film came out but wasn't impressed by it. So I didn't see the film for about 20 years after it was released and when I did I was completely blown away by it. phenomenal film
½ March 9, 2018
very well made. The tension builds up from the scene when the woman is in danger(at the start), and it explodes when the creature actually reveals itself. the music fits in very well, making the whole suspense more intense. it is at least the best shark-horror movie, and one of sphilberg's best.
March 7, 2018
For one reason and another, I actually just watched this for the first time. I don't know if I've ever seen a film with more hype behind it, and I'm certain I've never seen one that lived up to its hype so well.
½ February 27, 2018
Fun fact: Watch the movie carefully you can see a real meteor going across the sky.