Jaws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws Reviews

January 21, 2018
Action good, but so many slooooow scenes.
January 14, 2018
Set in the 1970's, Jaws tells the story of a small east-coast town whose world turns upside down as its people continue to be picked off one by one. The story follows the town's chief as he investigates the source of the issue. Through watching the film, I found myself thoroughly enjoying it quite a bit more than I anticipated. Jaws didn't fail to let me down in terms of suspense and surprise, and that was thanks to the editing. I feel that this was especially achieved in the pacing of the editing. Editor Verna Fields does a great job at drawing out each shot to build tension and to create and further the suspense. This is evidenced in a particular scene that takes place at the beach. The chief of police has just discovered that a great white shark has caused the initial death on the beach. In his attempt to shut down the beach, the town's mayor, who insists on keeping the beach open regardless, intercepts him. In the scene, the chief is on edge as he keeps watch of the beach's attendees. The scene cuts between different drawn out shots of those attendees as we wait in impatience for the potential impending threat. I found myself constantly on edge as I watched through these moments. The payoff of the scene being executed the way that it was were those great moments of surprise when the shark would finally surface and take on its next prey. I watched the film with some friends of mine, and we would literally jump out of our seats every time this would happen. One thing that I particularly enjoyed was that in the scenes that the shark made an appearance in, even though you knew the shark was coming, you were still surprised when it materialized.
January 10, 2018
Oh Jaws how do i love thee, let me count the ways: John Williams peerlessly iconic score, Chrissie Watkins late night swim, The always horrifying Kintner boy scene, "A WHAAAAAAT"?, the lovely father and son at the dinner table scene, Ben Gardners head, that first gut chilling overhead glimpse of Bruce as he glides silently under the water to get that poor estuary guy, Quint, the crushing cups scene, "Your gonna need a bigger boat", the shooting stars, the scar comparison, the spine tingling Indianapolis monologue, the cage, the gas tank, "Smile you son of a bitch!!" The magic moments in this movie, the goose bump inducing, chilling, terrifying, thrilling, truly funny, dark, jumpy, dramatic, magical scenes of pure Spielbergian brilliance are almost too many. The perfect movie. If you dont like it then im not sure what to do with you.
January 2, 2018
Truly groundbreaking. A good mixture of character development, contemporary issues, and a story culminating in believable action sequences. Good drama.
½ January 1, 2018
This is one of Spielberg's best films. It's extremely exciting and really gripping. There are some pretty scary moments and some really iconic scenes. The three lead performances are great, and overall , it's a fantastic film.
December 29, 2017
I believe this is Spielberg's best.
December 27, 2017
With Excellent Acting, Spectacular Directing, And Memorable Music, "Jaws" becomes the first summer blockbuster and greatest film in cinema history with Steven Spielberg at his finest. Intense and perfectly constructed, no film can surpass the affect it had. The cast are flawless, that alluring theme is perfectly unsettling, and the effects and cinematography are perfecly shot making Jaws a landmark in cinema. Re-watchable every time and it only gets better and better. Verdict: Masterpiece.
December 26, 2017
Spielbergs best with Raiders not far behind.
December 25, 2017
M-F

8.5

[Steven Spielberg]
½ December 25, 2017
Spielberg's classic suspenseful blockbuster still remains a benchmark in cinematic history delivering lot's of thrills to the audience! The performances by the cast are great and Spielberg's direction of all the scenes on the boat is amazing. Audiences will still find this amazing today and could still keep them out of the ocean!
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Un clásico memorable, lleno de icónicos personajes, banda sonora, estética visual, historia intensa y sumergente; un pilar del entretenimiento.
December 16, 2017
One of Spielberg's top 3 or 4 films for sure. Jaws is creepy and literally makes one sort of think a little as you step out into the ocean.
The characters within the film are excellent and the screenplay couldn't have been better with NOT showing the shark until things get super intense more than halfway through the movie. Robert Shaw gives an amazing performance, which I've later discovered is about 50% improvisation, as were a lot of Scheider's and Dreyfuss's.

As I understand it, this movie took literally forever to make and was extremely difficult to make given that it was shot out on the ocean. The mechanical shark was never able to work and their were headaches abound throughout the production. But all of that worked to help create one of the greatest, if not the greatest "Leviathan" movie of all time.
December 8, 2017
The perfect movie to watch in the summertime if you want a good scare or thrill!! I love this movie!!
December 8, 2017
Intense thriller. Clever. Well done.
December 5, 2017
My favourite film. Truly terrifying
December 2, 2017
Easily one of the best horror movies of all time, Jaws surprisingly holds up in more ways than not. The acting, while not Oscar-worthy, is still great. The epic score helps build and sustain the tension perfectly, and the film as a whole is simply a masterpiece.
½ November 27, 2017
Y?all know why Jaws is revolutionary cmon just watch it already
November 27, 2017
Such a great movie! It has a great cast, characters, plot, and action. It might not look the most real but its still believable and inspiring. I completely agree with the rave reviews. It's definitely one of my favorite movies even though it's from the 1970s
November 21, 2017
Scary. Interesting. More Scary. This is a classic film.
November 18, 2017
The best Shark film ever made, far better than many new movies where special effects have nothing to do with anything. Classic