Jaws 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws 2 Reviews

April 21, 2017
Looks terrible, but I have not watched it yet...
½ March 16, 2017
I liked it alot more the first time I saw it because as an immature youth I was more intrigued by the death count, but I found myself later to be more scared by the first one because of its incredible suspense, which this film is lacking.

It's a needless sequel that should never exist. It hurts the original, revealing that this shark is just a horror film mechanic cliché, a Michael Myers of the water. It just comes around and tears things up needlessly. Pops out when it wants. Hunts more than it can digest but doesn't take the time to eat it. It's a film about more, and that's the only direction I guess it can go. It reminds me of why sequels suck in the first place, all they can do is up the ante with a repeat formula. More kills, excessive. The Mayor has learned nothing, the board has learned nothing, Amity is as dumb and ignorant as ever before.

If it don't look good, don't show it. The shark don't look good.

Some decent suspense when they try to pull Mike in and accidentally drop him, but then the shark pops out and the only feeling is, oh, that thing? No need to be afraid.

I do appreciate the silences in the movie, it's not all terrible noise.

The teens are a good ensemble, they have solid chemistry and genuinely feel like they've known each other for a long time. Modern teen cliques are clunky, but these work.

Some stuff just drags on needlessly, like Brody and his wife after getting fired. He already had the whole bit with his former partner, now this.

"Cable junction's ahead" - looks like it's been ahead for awhile!

Act III anticlimactic.
Cut to scream, cut to scream, cut to scream - effect becomes laughable
The original is like Moby Dick, a real adventure of feasible odds battling the shark, obstacle after obstacle thrown at them. There's no real challenge until Brody shows up, and when he does it's pretty quick. His idea to electrocute the shark works, and the movie is over. We wait to see if it'll pop back up, celebration seems too quick and easy - credits roll.
½ March 12, 2017
Better than most sequels, and certainly better than the other sequels.
½ March 8, 2017
If it weren't for the annoying kids and lackluster story telling, "Jaws 2" might have been another decent film for Roy Scheider's career.
March 1, 2017
Not beautifully put together or investment towards some of the people of the town.
½ February 16, 2017
This movie was go overall kind of like the original but it still gets the idea of the franchise right sadly this is the best jaws SQL
½ February 11, 2017
A sharp detour into mediocrity. Jaws 2 does everything it can to devalue what Steven Spielberg did with the first installment of the series.
½ January 26, 2017
Did we really need a sequel to one of the best films ever made (any certainly one of my favorites!)? Of course, but this film is BORING as shit! Forgettable characters, Brody was kind of bland in this one, boring plot, not very good death scenes, and really we're gonna make the shark like fucking supernatural or something! Just not worth it!
January 22, 2017
Not good. A poor attempt at remaking the first movie, but enjoyable enough for Roy Scheider's identical character
½ January 20, 2017
With good suspense that makes this movie exciting, however with very forced performances and an awful script.
December 23, 2016
Blood's in the water and Universal strikes with the highly anticipated sequel Jaws 2. The story continues with another rogue shark plaguing the island community of Amity, but this time Police Chief Body stands alone as the town counsel refuse to acknowledge that a shark is responsible for a recent string of deaths and missing persons. Unfortunately the writing isn't that good; the shark is portrayed as some sort of psychotic killer, and there are too many characters to follow (mostly teens who are all pretty indistinguishable). In fact the film plays a lot like a teen horror film, with a bunch of horny teenagers running around, chased by a bloodthirsty shark. Still, director Jeannot Szwarc does a pretty good job at making the action scenes intense and exciting. It pales in comparison to the original, but Jaws 2 is a decent enough thriller.
December 18, 2016
Jaws 2 is hardly a bad sequel per se, but it's certainly not in the same ballpark as the original classic. Overly long and underperformed outweigh the pluses, namely a movie that doesn't stray from the basics, a few honest scares, and impressive up-close shark work. It makes for fair entertainment and a worthy entry into the man-eating shark genre, though not necessarily a worthy successor to one of cinema's all-time classics.
December 12, 2016
I'd only watch that movie once. It focuses on teen situations rather than the great white shark.
½ November 21, 2016
Nowhere near as good as the original. But still not bad all together, largely thanks to Roy Scheider and Murray Hamilton.
½ October 30, 2016
The Hollywood milking machine begins... Jaws, a great trailblazing film took the world by storm in 1975 as the first "shark" disaster film. One could only expect for Hollywood to cash in before too long.

Roy Scheider reprises his role as Chief Brody. Scheider is a very serious and believable character actor. In this Jaws installment, like the first, it is personal for Chief Brody as his children and their friends are in danger. The scenes are incredibly cheesy and dated. The ending predictable and just sets the framework for progressively worse installments of the Jaws saga.

This film falls into the bad "A-film" class.
½ October 8, 2016
Not lost much of its original appeal - effects now look very ropey
½ October 2, 2016
roy scheider not trying what he is only doing this because he forced directing is fine acting is a lot the pacing is horrible the shark is barely issue in the film it's rushed and clearly forced production and yes Roy roy scheider does look like doesn't want to be there the whole time
September 27, 2016
Jaws 2 was "good enough" but not like the first one. The best part of the film was Rob Scheider. The worse part was the pacing (such a borefest for the first 30-40 minutes). And it just didn't have that feeling the first movie had. The characters, other than Rob Sheider, were much weaker and less engaging than in the first movie. Adding all these things up, I rate it a 6/10 OR 3/5. I'm scared to watch Jaws 3 because my psychic powers are already warning me that I will probably be worse than Jaws 2.
September 24, 2016
Slightly better than the original.