Jaws 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws 2 Reviews

September 22, 2017
My favorite Jaws movie
½ September 18, 2017
making of this was incredible
September 15, 2017
Not as good as the first movie. With the same cast you would expect the acting to be better. The plot was not great. They did not transition the story from the first movie to the second movie.
September 3, 2017
Nowhere in the same league as the original film, but it still works as an effective simple minded nature-gone-wild film. Roy Scheider returns as Chief Brody and so does composer John Williams, but the film is lacking Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss, so this film is sadly missing that entertaining three-way character dynamic, but most of all, the film is missing Steven Spielberg, who brought an unbelievable amount of tension and suspense to what is arguably the greatest nature-gone-wild film of all-time. However, in defense of "Jaws 2," if you compare it to something like the slickly made recent shark attack film "The Shallows," I have to say this film's shark sequences are far and away more effective. I believe it's because even though the shark in "Jaws 2" is clearly a mechanical prop, seeing something physical attacking the characters on open water is much more visceral of an experience than watching a CGI shark attacking Blake Lively. Overall, this is a satisfying enough of a thriller with a pretty exciting climax, even if it's nowhere as good as the original (although it's far better than parts 3 and 4).
½ August 31, 2017
'Jaws 2' is a notoriously unjustified sequel that spends so much time in the trial to legitimize its very existence that it forgets to be a decent flick. All it does is to deliver a bland and altered copy of the original with a particularly ridiculous killing of the shark which reveals an obvious lack of resources. A film short on many levels (if not all), therefore, sadly announcing the unpleasant new custom of Hollywood to automatically create sequels after successes. That's something they didn't do back in the Classical Hollywood.
August 17, 2017
I just rewatched Jaws 2. Now its now where near as good as the first Jaws which is a classic it still wasn't a bad sequel .Roy Scheider dose a very good job of replaying chief Brody. The plot was decent my issue with the movie is the shark killed to many people and a orca so they painted a picture of the great white as just killing to kill when really they kill to eat. The helicopter scene was a bit silly as well but we were going into the 80's. So its not as good as part 1 but it kills part 3 and 4
½ August 15, 2017
I honestly thought this was a good sequel to Jaws, but unfortunately it's not as best as the first one.
August 5, 2017
The acting is decent and its still scary but most of the movie is boring. Its just sitting on the boat waiting until they're saved. But the other parts are amazing I recommend this movie to certain people.
½ July 20, 2017
Alright not prefect or good but better then the next jaws movies
jamrcla
July 20, 2017
This was never going to be as good as the first but it gave it a go, It had its moments but they were few and far between, I liked the story more as we have Roy Scheider second guessing himself whether it's all happening again or not which was good, It lost its intensity as we know what's coming and when, The ending was ok but a little silly, Apart from Roy Scheider it poorly acted by the rest of the cast, It's not a touch on the first but it's worth a watch.
June 13, 2017
3/5. While it's certainly no Jaws, Jaws 2 is a fine movie. There are some fun moments and a few genuinely awesome sequences. Sure, it could have been much better, but, as we see with the 3rd and 4th films, it could have been much worse.
June 8, 2017
An unfairly maligned sequel. While Jaws 2 doesn't have the depth of characters, it still delivers the best bits from the first movie all over again (and welcome they are) and some thrilling monster moments. Despite failing to live up to its predecessor this is still one of the greatest ever monster movies.
June 5, 2017
Gets two stars only because of the 70's fashion, vintage production, and period summer beach footage. Story is crap, no chomps until halfway through, way too much teenager junk.
April 21, 2017
Looks terrible, but I have not watched it yet...
½ March 16, 2017
I liked it alot more the first time I saw it because as an immature youth I was more intrigued by the death count, but I found myself later to be more scared by the first one because of its incredible suspense, which this film is lacking.

It's a needless sequel that should never exist. It hurts the original, revealing that this shark is just a horror film mechanic cliché, a Michael Myers of the water. It just comes around and tears things up needlessly. Pops out when it wants. Hunts more than it can digest but doesn't take the time to eat it. It's a film about more, and that's the only direction I guess it can go. It reminds me of why sequels suck in the first place, all they can do is up the ante with a repeat formula. More kills, excessive. The Mayor has learned nothing, the board has learned nothing, Amity is as dumb and ignorant as ever before.

If it don't look good, don't show it. The shark don't look good.

Some decent suspense when they try to pull Mike in and accidentally drop him, but then the shark pops out and the only feeling is, oh, that thing? No need to be afraid.

I do appreciate the silences in the movie, it's not all terrible noise.

The teens are a good ensemble, they have solid chemistry and genuinely feel like they've known each other for a long time. Modern teen cliques are clunky, but these work.

Some stuff just drags on needlessly, like Brody and his wife after getting fired. He already had the whole bit with his former partner, now this.

"Cable junction's ahead" - looks like it's been ahead for awhile!

Act III anticlimactic.
Cut to scream, cut to scream, cut to scream - effect becomes laughable
The original is like Moby Dick, a real adventure of feasible odds battling the shark, obstacle after obstacle thrown at them. There's no real challenge until Brody shows up, and when he does it's pretty quick. His idea to electrocute the shark works, and the movie is over. We wait to see if it'll pop back up, celebration seems too quick and easy - credits roll.
½ March 12, 2017
Better than most sequels, and certainly better than the other sequels.
½ March 8, 2017
If it weren't for the annoying kids and lackluster story telling, "Jaws 2" might have been another decent film for Roy Scheider's career.
March 1, 2017
Not beautifully put together or investment towards some of the people of the town.
½ February 16, 2017
This movie was go overall kind of like the original but it still gets the idea of the franchise right sadly this is the best jaws SQL
½ February 11, 2017
A sharp detour into mediocrity. Jaws 2 does everything it can to devalue what Steven Spielberg did with the first installment of the series.