The Jerk Reviews

• Nov 19, 2019

One of the funniest movies of all time.

One of the funniest movies of all time.

• Nov 01, 2019

One of my favorite movies.

One of my favorite movies.

• Oct 19, 2019

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Just like the first time I watched "Arsenic And Old Lace" with Carey Grant. It made me laugh almost from beginning to end. Only 4 1/2 stars because of the sexual promiscuity which Hollywood promotes as todays accepted social standards even in most films intended for young kids.

• Sep 21, 2019

Steve Martins funniest movie.

Steve Martins funniest movie.

• Sep 11, 2019

Filler up, okay Mrs. Nussbaum. Hey. what kinda cigarette is that? Joint? they don't make em very good. I love this movie,

• Aug 24, 2019

The Jerk is a highly uneven movie which can be weak in some not so funny sequences and it never fully utilized on its amazing premise, but there is no denying the fact that when it works, it really works. Steve Martin is excellent in the main role, and the romance I found very charming. The humor is also very good along with the dialogue. The highlight has to be that exceptional and hilarious dinner sequence.

• Aug 09, 2019

Bizarre and mostly hit and miss for me. I guess one has to be a fan of Martin's particular style of humor and it just really wasn't my cup of tea. It got a chuckle or two out of me in any case.

• Jul 30, 2019

Steve Martin at his funniest. This is a laugh out loud movie that still great to this day.

• Jun 28, 2019

I’ve always had a soft spot for Steve Martin’s brand of goofy and inane humor. He has perfect timing and delivery that few comedians can match. This talent makes it so even the bad jokes manage to make me chuckle. I feel like The Jerk is loaded with bad jokes, or ones that shouldn’t work, and yet it had me laughing frequently. I wish I had seen this movie when I was younger because it is the kind of film that would be ingrained in me by now and I’d probably praise it as one of the greatest comedies of all time with that kind of nostalgia. I have to admit that there are times that some of the more puerile humor in the film didn’t hit as well for me as an adult, even though I appreciated what he was trying to do. One thing I will say...it was kind of fun to watch a movie from the late 70s when pushing boundaries into offensiveness wasn’t seen as such a terrible thing. I can only imagine the number of organizations that would boycott The Jerk if it came out today because of how it freely offends races, religions, handicaps, sexuality, mental illness, and more. Navin is clearly the character that has inspired such knock-offs as Harry Dunn, Lloyd Christmas, Derek Zoolander, and even Buddy the Elf. There never seems to be an end to the number of times people try to draw comedy from a person who is extremely dumb and/or naive that is dropped into a normal situation. Steve Martin has a unique take on it, and some of his scenes of stupidity in The Jerk are truly iconic. However, one of the toughest aspects of this film for me was that Navin’s stupidity seemed inconsistent. At times he was so naive he could barely function, and then other times he was just uncultured but still totally capable of understanding things. This wasn’t a huge problem because it’s not the kind of movie that you scrutinize to that degree. I thought there were some hilarious situations that Navin got into, particularly at the beginning, but the third act was when I started to lose interest in him because he began to act like the titular “Jerk” instead of just being clueless. The end won me back, and I think I’d like to watch The Jerk again and see if the humor still makes me laugh on multiple viewings.

• May 21, 2019

The godfather of stupid, the throne at which movies like UHF, Anchorman and Hot Rod must bow down to; and a pitch-perfect case for the argument that pure, uncynical silliness never ages.