Jerry Maguire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jerry Maguire Reviews

March 18, 2017
It's a very good movie, but incredibly slow movie. Too much of a love story, and only little humor.
February 26, 2017
Phenomenal movie starring Tom cruise, Cuba Gooding Jr, the girl from Bridget Jones's diary, I forgot her name , sorry about that and the kid that was fantastic, he stole the show by saying that f bomb. And that's the first thing I'm going to talk about and how iconic that line will be, " you said f##ck" said that kid. I know that the kid now is all grown up but man he was and still is good in this movie. I wonder how his parents reacted him saying the f bomb and he was young, I don't know how young but young. I think younger than 6 but besides all that let's go into detail about how good the story/plot is. Good story, I like that some of the times it's a romantic drama kind of movie and then when Jerry is with Ron it feels like a straight up drama , and I like the mix of that. If people hate romance than they'll like the scenes when Jerry is with Ron at the field or taking a walk. When you think this movies about to get slow they show you something new and that is terrific. Now the 2 stars of the film cuba Gooding Jr playing Ron and Tom cruise playing Jerry. Ron's character is good and to see what a football player goes through in his life providing money to his family but at the same time Jerry is trying to provide for his family and their bond to help each other. And that brings me to another great quote " help me help you ", so iconic.
February 25, 2017
Jerry Maguire is all about building relationships with other people, and it's the relationships between the characters that makes this so warming and entertaining on every viewing. Tom Cruise is brilliant, as you'd expect, and I liked Renée Zellweger and her son. Cuba Gooding Jr steals the show with his deserved Oscar win, he is charismatic, likeable and relatable. I thought the love between Cruise and Zellweger could have been built up better (the porch scene in particular is awful) but once it's there, it's touching and you can't help but route for them. You can't not love the tale of an underdog.
½ February 24, 2017
Wow. One of my favorite movies!
January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 18, 2017
Tom Cruise is usually pretty good. It had a lot of different things going for it. A lot of funny parts and I didn't realize a lot of familiar quotes come from this.
January 12, 2017
I love movies that can't necessarily be classified by a single genre. Jerry Maguire isn't a chick flick, but it's not a sports film either. Nor is it a traditional comedy. It's possibly all three, but never just one. That's what makes it great. It appeals to both genders equally without alienating either of them.

The title character is played by Tom Cruise in one of his best performances. He's a slimy sports agent who, one day, has an epiphany, realizing he no longer wants to sell lies to his clients, but real relationships. The only problem is he doesn't even know how to have a real relationship in his personal life. At work, he sends out a mission statement that lauds the idea of having less clients to improve quality. This sudden life-changing notion wins over the approval of his cohorts, but his high-level agency disapproves and fires him.

Starting from the ground up, Jerry has nothing and no one to work with. The only people that follow him are a low-level employee, Dorothy (Renee Zellweger) and Arizona Cardinals wide receiver, Rod Tidwell (Cuba Gooding, Jr.).

The chemistry between Cruise and both of his costars is natural that you can't imagine anyone else in those roles. You see him seamlessly transform over the course of the film, only taking notice of it in the end. Honestly, it's very much reminiscent of Pacino in the Godfather--only backwards.

Jerry Maguire equally covers the depth of multiple characters brilliantly. The film not only goes inside the mind of a scuzzbag-turned-nice-guy, but of an athlete. Gooding plays a talented football player with a chip on his shoulder. He's not on his way out of the league, but he's no Jerry Rice either. He's on a middling NFL team and thinks he deserves a bigger paycheck than he gets. He knows he's good, but no one else sees it. The film brings very relatable themes to seemingly unrelatable people. There is more to the movie than demand for money. It's about friendship and knowing what's important in life amidst all the menagerie.

Writer-director Cameron Crowe has a knack for storytelling--already evident by his previous work--but he outdoes himself with this one. Nothing is ever truly predictable, which is an impressive accomplishment considering the type of film. Never is there a dull moment, and the dialogue is so effortlessly perfect without ever feeling contrived. The sappy moments are never that, when any other writer would know no other way. It's a rom-com for the ages and may even be the pinpoint for redefining the genre.

It has aged so well and is still a great watch to this day. Highly recommended for those of you who haven't seen it and are arguing with your other half about what to watch on movie night. I promise you'll both enjoy it.

Twizard Rating: 100
January 8, 2017
A good movie by Tom Cruise and the rest of the cast. The plot was good and so were the lines in the movie.
January 7, 2017
Amazing movie it was worth watching
½ December 1, 2016
It felt messy at times but in the end, just like Jerry Maguire, we all start to figure it out. Great performances and a powerful message but with light, feel good atmosphere.
November 30, 2016
Jerry Maguire is fantastically original and Cameron Crowe's style is superbly genuine and fascinating to watch.
½ September 26, 2016
Superb romantic dramedy that has aged extremely well, thanks to a superb cast & Cameron Crowe being in his top form. The main appeal is Tom Cruise, whose performance as Maguire ranks as probably the best of his career, getting to show off his comedic chops (his mental breakdown at the beginning is classic) to romance (his impassioned plea to his wife at the end remains a tear jerker). It's the kind of performance that not only reminds one that Cruise is a great movie star but a pretty darn good actor too. He does get great support from the rest of the cast, particularly Renee Zellenger (luminous in her breakout performance) to Cuba Gooding Jr. (stealing every scene that earned him a well deserved Oscar). Behind the camera, Cameron Crowe crafts one of his best films, telling a story that touches on everything from sporting finance to dating single mothers (in a pointed complication, Jerry falls in love with Dorothy's son before her). Crowe does it while bringing the right mix of comedy & romance, along with numerous quotable lines ("Show me the money!!", "You complete me."). While it does drag a bit in the third act, the result is one of Cameron Crowe's & Tom Cruise's finest films, making for one of the best films of the '90s.
August 26, 2016
Great movie on what interpersonal relationships should be like, particularly in marriage. [Potential Spoiler Alerts follow....] Renee Zellweger's portrayal of a completely selfless single mother was incredibly moving. Taking responsibility for the situation, even though she had every right to be angry was very moving and realistically played into Jerry's transformation. The "ideal" marriage relationship between the Tidwell's was great to see through the eyes of the Maguires and again, the relationship between Rod and Jerry was palpable and the transformation it contributed to was also incredibly moving. Make a point to watch this with your wife (VidAngel out all the swearing and other undesirables and it's still an incredible movie).
August 25, 2016
Jerry Maguire is a wonderful sports agent. SHOW ME THE MONEY ??????!
July 25, 2016
Finally watched it? Amazing.
July 22, 2016
***
For me personally, Jerry Maguire can be a bit too sappy at times. That being said, with great performances from Tom Cruise and Cuba Gooding Jr. and a funny script, the movie ultimately succeeds as a fun movie to watch if you're in the right mood.
June 24, 2016
The narrative feels a bit long and could have certainly been shorter, but Crowe carries out this well-written, superbly-edited romance/character study with a lot of honesty and talent, relying on fantastic performances by Tom Cruise, Cuba Gooding Jr. and Renée Zellweger.
June 16, 2016
Well-written, charming and well-acted.
May 27, 2016
Sports agent has some moral issues to attend to. Wish Cuba gooding would remember to pick and choose his films better as has appeared in more dross than most.