Jerry Maguire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jerry Maguire Reviews

August 26, 2017
Great movie and great performances by Tom Cruise and Cuba Gooding Jr! The story is very good about a football player and his sports agent getting them both to the top! It's a great movie is very interesting to watch!
August 19, 2017
Cheesy romantic film with a spin of sports. A good story line - Tom Cruise in his prime doing what he does best. A solid cast including Renee Zellwegger and Cuba Gooding Jr make a really enjoyable film
August 8, 2017
5 stars and more if possible. Incredible timeless film with many themes that will motivate you to strive and never give up on life, love, and passion. This film will complete you.
July 7, 2017
I loved that movieee !!! Cuba ! Great performance man well deserved oscar !
July 5, 2017
To quote another quality movie from the same year, this movie is money baby. Although it never feels as if Cruise truly exposes his emotions, he works very well off of the flair that Gooding, Jr. brings. The movie does the hard part right: it sets up characters that we care about while exploring themes of real love in a cutthroat world. However, there is never a true payoff. It lacks a real conclusion between Cruise and the excellent Ms. Zellweger. It's biggest flaw is leaving out dialogue that explains Cruise's character and why they both decided to stay in a relationship. Was he simply desperate? Was she using him? Mr. Crowe chose a crowd-pleaser instead of a unique moment, but overall it was a good movie.
June 19, 2017
Com um tempo de execução excessivamente longo, Cameron Crowe poderia ter gasto pelo menos 20 minutos a menos do total de 135, o filme tem suas parcelas de cenas encantadoras e debates sobre a ganância do mundo, mas a hipocrisia e o debate demagógico se fazem presente na maioria das vezes. O final feliz é muito limpo e genérico, mas agrada a maioria.
May 23, 2017
Heartwarming but a tad average
½ May 7, 2017
Sometimes, we let ourselves get the better of us. And this can lead to a number of bad things that can occur in our lives. This always comes up with the goal/notion that we can do better next time; next time happens, it doesn't work out so well. And sometimes, we become so full of ourselves, that we eventually have a nervous breakdown. There are many people out there that experience this, and one notable example is in the sports industry. That's where the 1996 film "Jerry Maguire" comes into play, pun intended. Starring Tom Cruise, Renee Zellweger, and Cuba Gooding Jr., and written and directed by Cameron Crowe, the movie has gained this cultural impact in the history of cinema, as it memorable to watch. While the film is good, there are some issues that need to be addressed; the pacing being one of them. Rest assured, "Jerry Maguire" is one of those movies where everything can seemingly come together, but just like a person's ego, can come crashing down.

The story has sports agent Jerry Maguire (Cruise) having a moment of realization: maybe his life sucks, and he wants to be good to his life. He then writes a memo chronicling the most important things in life, and it goes over well. Until Jerry gets fired for it; he basically set his ego ablaze. Because of this, Jerry now only has one client: Rodney "Rod" Tidwell (Gooding Jr.), who is very picky with what he wants from Jerry. He also has a girlfriend named Dorothy (Zellweger), who has a very optimistic son, and tries to help Jerry as much as she can. Now, with his world going topsy turvy, Jerry tries to make the best out of this world. Even with a single goldfish to handle.

"Jerry Maguire" is an interesting film to watch. For one thing, the direction is good, and Crowe manages everything very well. This does include the cast, as each actor and actress do a great job with the performances and roles they inhabit. What's ironic about the movie in general, is that there is no orchestrated soundtrack, and that adds a bit of cleverness to the film. Finally, the story has a nice contemporary feel to it. It has a sense of realism with our main characters going through some major consequences, but there is a lighthearted tone to the film, which makes easy to understand what our characters are going through. Anybody watching this movie will get a sense of what is going on.

With that being said, there are some major problems with the film. As stated in the above paragraph, the usage of popular songs is not a bad idea, however, by using an orchestrated composition, the movie would have benefited greatly. The story, while nice, does feel a little corny by today's standards. Or better yet, more awkward than what is normally seen in movies of today. Watch the movie again, and ask yourself if you feel a little awkward by what is happening. But the biggest problem that that the film commits is with the pacing. The editing itself isn't bad, but the entirety of the film moves very slow, and it progresses like a snail. The movie does reach a conclusion, but it takes a long time to actually get there.

In conclusion, "Jerry Maguire" may have its fair share of flaws, but it does compensate for letting a contemporary story affect people in real situations. Even with sports and a goldfish on their minds.
½ May 2, 2017
One of the few movies I would dub a "must see". Sports for the gentlemen and romance for the ladies with a story that keeps both parties glued until the end. I felt the individual struggles of Jerry, Rod, and Dorothy the single mother.

Some of the ancillary characters did feel like common tropes; however, the acting and directing kept them from being a distraction.

This is a guaranteed classic with a feel good ending.
April 6, 2017
Tom Cruise plays the perfect sports agent. I love him in the sleazy salesman role. But when he has to act sincere with Renee I laughed. He didn't convince me he was truly in love with her. Really dumb movie but I did like Cuba Gooding.
March 18, 2017
It's a very good movie, but incredibly slow movie. Too much of a love story, and only little humor.
February 26, 2017
Phenomenal movie starring Tom cruise, Cuba Gooding Jr, the girl from Bridget Jones's diary, I forgot her name , sorry about that and the kid that was fantastic, he stole the show by saying that f bomb. And that's the first thing I'm going to talk about and how iconic that line will be, " you said f##ck" said that kid. I know that the kid now is all grown up but man he was and still is good in this movie. I wonder how his parents reacted him saying the f bomb and he was young, I don't know how young but young. I think younger than 6 but besides all that let's go into detail about how good the story/plot is. Good story, I like that some of the times it's a romantic drama kind of movie and then when Jerry is with Ron it feels like a straight up drama , and I like the mix of that. If people hate romance than they'll like the scenes when Jerry is with Ron at the field or taking a walk. When you think this movies about to get slow they show you something new and that is terrific. Now the 2 stars of the film cuba Gooding Jr playing Ron and Tom cruise playing Jerry. Ron's character is good and to see what a football player goes through in his life providing money to his family but at the same time Jerry is trying to provide for his family and their bond to help each other. And that brings me to another great quote " help me help you ", so iconic.
February 25, 2017
Jerry Maguire is all about building relationships with other people, and it's the relationships between the characters that makes this so warming and entertaining on every viewing. Tom Cruise is brilliant, as you'd expect, and I liked Renée Zellweger and her son. Cuba Gooding Jr steals the show with his deserved Oscar win, he is charismatic, likeable and relatable. I thought the love between Cruise and Zellweger could have been built up better (the porch scene in particular is awful) but once it's there, it's touching and you can't help but route for them. You can't not love the tale of an underdog.
½ February 24, 2017
Wow. One of my favorite movies!
January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 18, 2017
Tom Cruise is usually pretty good. It had a lot of different things going for it. A lot of funny parts and I didn't realize a lot of familiar quotes come from this.
January 12, 2017
I love movies that can't necessarily be classified by a single genre. Jerry Maguire isn't a chick flick, but it's not a sports film either. Nor is it a traditional comedy. It's possibly all three, but never just one. That's what makes it great. It appeals to both genders equally without alienating either of them.

The title character is played by Tom Cruise in one of his best performances. He's a slimy sports agent who, one day, has an epiphany, realizing he no longer wants to sell lies to his clients, but real relationships. The only problem is he doesn't even know how to have a real relationship in his personal life. At work, he sends out a mission statement that lauds the idea of having less clients to improve quality. This sudden life-changing notion wins over the approval of his cohorts, but his high-level agency disapproves and fires him.

Starting from the ground up, Jerry has nothing and no one to work with. The only people that follow him are a low-level employee, Dorothy (Renee Zellweger) and Arizona Cardinals wide receiver, Rod Tidwell (Cuba Gooding, Jr.).

The chemistry between Cruise and both of his costars is natural that you can't imagine anyone else in those roles. You see him seamlessly transform over the course of the film, only taking notice of it in the end. Honestly, it's very much reminiscent of Pacino in the Godfather--only backwards.

Jerry Maguire equally covers the depth of multiple characters brilliantly. The film not only goes inside the mind of a scuzzbag-turned-nice-guy, but of an athlete. Gooding plays a talented football player with a chip on his shoulder. He's not on his way out of the league, but he's no Jerry Rice either. He's on a middling NFL team and thinks he deserves a bigger paycheck than he gets. He knows he's good, but no one else sees it. The film brings very relatable themes to seemingly unrelatable people. There is more to the movie than demand for money. It's about friendship and knowing what's important in life amidst all the menagerie.

Writer-director Cameron Crowe has a knack for storytelling--already evident by his previous work--but he outdoes himself with this one. Nothing is ever truly predictable, which is an impressive accomplishment considering the type of film. Never is there a dull moment, and the dialogue is so effortlessly perfect without ever feeling contrived. The sappy moments are never that, when any other writer would know no other way. It's a rom-com for the ages and may even be the pinpoint for redefining the genre.

It has aged so well and is still a great watch to this day. Highly recommended for those of you who haven't seen it and are arguing with your other half about what to watch on movie night. I promise you'll both enjoy it.

Twizard Rating: 100
January 8, 2017
A good movie by Tom Cruise and the rest of the cast. The plot was good and so were the lines in the movie.
January 7, 2017
Amazing movie it was worth watching
½ December 1, 2016
It felt messy at times but in the end, just like Jerry Maguire, we all start to figure it out. Great performances and a powerful message but with light, feel good atmosphere.