Jerry Maguire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jerry Maguire Reviews

½ December 13, 2017
A heart warming movie that's very interesting right up til the end.
November 19, 2017
The perfect 'middle age figuring life out' movie. Funny and inspirational.
½ September 25, 2017
If you asked me my opinion of Jerry Maguire before this most recent rewatch, I would have told you it was not good and vastly overrated. I think the pervasiveness of this film in pop culture in the late 90s managed to sour me on it, because all I could think of were the overused catch phrases that were parodied incessantly. Now that I?ve seen it again I remember why I kind of liked this movie when I first saw it. Tom Cruise absolutely crushes this lead role, as he goes through so many emotions. I don?t know if I?ve ever seen a more honest depiction of someone who is holding on by a thread as he watches his world come crashing down.

I pretty much adore every moment of Jerry Maguire that is actually about Tom Cruise being a sports agent. Perhaps it is the fact that I like professional sports and I connect with that world, or perhaps it is the fact that they got actual athletes to appear and licensed real NFL teams and other stuff like that, or maybe it?s simply the fact that Tom Cruise and Cuba Gooding Jr. are electric on screen together. I don?t think Gooding Jr. is making some world-class performance, but he plays it so big and entertaining that it contrasts perfectly with what Cruise is doing. No matter what it is, I find myself thoroughly engaged in those parts of the film, and I?m always surprised they get me to root for an agent.

My struggle with Jerry Maguire has been and always will be the same thing, and that?s the romance. Cruise?s connection with Jonathan Lipnicki is adorable, and naturally I don?t complain about that aspect. However, I?m constantly annoyed with the relationship between him and Renee Zellweger. It frustrates me because it always feels like a distraction from the parts that I am enjoying. I can?t totally put my finger on why I dislike these scenes so much, but it?s like they took what was a decent B-story about Jerry?s love life and tried to transition that into the A-story. Despite these nagging issues, I?ll admit that Jerry Maguire is a high quality film that I?m glad saw again now in order to reassess.
September 23, 2017
Tom Cruise gives one of his best performances here. Gooding Jr and Zellweger are great in supporting roles. Crowe's story could've been shorted a bit to keep Jerry's arc moving at a quicker pace.
August 26, 2017
Great movie and great performances by Tom Cruise and Cuba Gooding Jr! The story is very good about a football player and his sports agent getting them both to the top! It's a great movie is very interesting to watch!
August 19, 2017
Cheesy romantic film with a spin of sports. A good story line - Tom Cruise in his prime doing what he does best. A solid cast including Renee Zellwegger and Cuba Gooding Jr make a really enjoyable film
August 8, 2017
5 stars and more if possible. Incredible timeless film with many themes that will motivate you to strive and never give up on life, love, and passion. This film will complete you.
July 7, 2017
I loved that movieee !!! Cuba ! Great performance man well deserved oscar !
July 5, 2017
To quote another quality movie from the same year, this movie is money baby. Although it never feels as if Cruise truly exposes his emotions, he works very well off of the flair that Gooding, Jr. brings. The movie does the hard part right: it sets up characters that we care about while exploring themes of real love in a cutthroat world. However, there is never a true payoff. It lacks a real conclusion between Cruise and the excellent Ms. Zellweger. It's biggest flaw is leaving out dialogue that explains Cruise's character and why they both decided to stay in a relationship. Was he simply desperate? Was she using him? Mr. Crowe chose a crowd-pleaser instead of a unique moment, but overall it was a good movie.
June 19, 2017
Com um tempo de execução excessivamente longo, Cameron Crowe poderia ter gasto pelo menos 20 minutos a menos do total de 135, o filme tem suas parcelas de cenas encantadoras e debates sobre a ganância do mundo, mas a hipocrisia e o debate demagógico se fazem presente na maioria das vezes. O final feliz é muito limpo e genérico, mas agrada a maioria.
May 23, 2017
Heartwarming but a tad average
½ May 7, 2017
Sometimes, we let ourselves get the better of us. And this can lead to a number of bad things that can occur in our lives. This always comes up with the goal/notion that we can do better next time; next time happens, it doesn't work out so well. And sometimes, we become so full of ourselves, that we eventually have a nervous breakdown. There are many people out there that experience this, and one notable example is in the sports industry. That's where the 1996 film "Jerry Maguire" comes into play, pun intended. Starring Tom Cruise, Renee Zellweger, and Cuba Gooding Jr., and written and directed by Cameron Crowe, the movie has gained this cultural impact in the history of cinema, as it memorable to watch. While the film is good, there are some issues that need to be addressed; the pacing being one of them. Rest assured, "Jerry Maguire" is one of those movies where everything can seemingly come together, but just like a person's ego, can come crashing down.

The story has sports agent Jerry Maguire (Cruise) having a moment of realization: maybe his life sucks, and he wants to be good to his life. He then writes a memo chronicling the most important things in life, and it goes over well. Until Jerry gets fired for it; he basically set his ego ablaze. Because of this, Jerry now only has one client: Rodney "Rod" Tidwell (Gooding Jr.), who is very picky with what he wants from Jerry. He also has a girlfriend named Dorothy (Zellweger), who has a very optimistic son, and tries to help Jerry as much as she can. Now, with his world going topsy turvy, Jerry tries to make the best out of this world. Even with a single goldfish to handle.

"Jerry Maguire" is an interesting film to watch. For one thing, the direction is good, and Crowe manages everything very well. This does include the cast, as each actor and actress do a great job with the performances and roles they inhabit. What's ironic about the movie in general, is that there is no orchestrated soundtrack, and that adds a bit of cleverness to the film. Finally, the story has a nice contemporary feel to it. It has a sense of realism with our main characters going through some major consequences, but there is a lighthearted tone to the film, which makes easy to understand what our characters are going through. Anybody watching this movie will get a sense of what is going on.

With that being said, there are some major problems with the film. As stated in the above paragraph, the usage of popular songs is not a bad idea, however, by using an orchestrated composition, the movie would have benefited greatly. The story, while nice, does feel a little corny by today's standards. Or better yet, more awkward than what is normally seen in movies of today. Watch the movie again, and ask yourself if you feel a little awkward by what is happening. But the biggest problem that that the film commits is with the pacing. The editing itself isn't bad, but the entirety of the film moves very slow, and it progresses like a snail. The movie does reach a conclusion, but it takes a long time to actually get there.

In conclusion, "Jerry Maguire" may have its fair share of flaws, but it does compensate for letting a contemporary story affect people in real situations. Even with sports and a goldfish on their minds.
½ May 2, 2017
One of the few movies I would dub a "must see". Sports for the gentlemen and romance for the ladies with a story that keeps both parties glued until the end. I felt the individual struggles of Jerry, Rod, and Dorothy the single mother.

Some of the ancillary characters did feel like common tropes; however, the acting and directing kept them from being a distraction.

This is a guaranteed classic with a feel good ending.
April 6, 2017
Tom Cruise plays the perfect sports agent. I love him in the sleazy salesman role. But when he has to act sincere with Renee I laughed. He didn't convince me he was truly in love with her. Really dumb movie but I did like Cuba Gooding.
March 18, 2017
It's a very good movie, but incredibly slow movie. Too much of a love story, and only little humor.
February 26, 2017
Phenomenal movie starring Tom cruise, Cuba Gooding Jr, the girl from Bridget Jones's diary, I forgot her name , sorry about that and the kid that was fantastic, he stole the show by saying that f bomb. And that's the first thing I'm going to talk about and how iconic that line will be, " you said f##ck" said that kid. I know that the kid now is all grown up but man he was and still is good in this movie. I wonder how his parents reacted him saying the f bomb and he was young, I don't know how young but young. I think younger than 6 but besides all that let's go into detail about how good the story/plot is. Good story, I like that some of the times it's a romantic drama kind of movie and then when Jerry is with Ron it feels like a straight up drama , and I like the mix of that. If people hate romance than they'll like the scenes when Jerry is with Ron at the field or taking a walk. When you think this movies about to get slow they show you something new and that is terrific. Now the 2 stars of the film cuba Gooding Jr playing Ron and Tom cruise playing Jerry. Ron's character is good and to see what a football player goes through in his life providing money to his family but at the same time Jerry is trying to provide for his family and their bond to help each other. And that brings me to another great quote " help me help you ", so iconic.
February 25, 2017
Jerry Maguire is all about building relationships with other people, and it's the relationships between the characters that makes this so warming and entertaining on every viewing. Tom Cruise is brilliant, as you'd expect, and I liked Renée Zellweger and her son. Cuba Gooding Jr steals the show with his deserved Oscar win, he is charismatic, likeable and relatable. I thought the love between Cruise and Zellweger could have been built up better (the porch scene in particular is awful) but once it's there, it's touching and you can't help but route for them. You can't not love the tale of an underdog.
½ February 24, 2017
Wow. One of my favorite movies!
January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 18, 2017
Tom Cruise is usually pretty good. It had a lot of different things going for it. A lot of funny parts and I didn't realize a lot of familiar quotes come from this.