Jerry Maguire Reviews

• Sep 07, 2019

My personal favorite Tom Cruise & Cameron Crowe movie.

My personal favorite Tom Cruise & Cameron Crowe movie.

• Aug 30, 2019

I enjoyed watching this incredible feel-good movie.

I enjoyed watching this incredible feel-good movie.

• Aug 15, 2019

What a tragedy it is that Cameron Crowe has sunken into making boring, run of the mill family dramas like We Bought a Zoo (2011) when he isn't producing slightly offensive romantic dramas like Aloha (2015). He had such promise when he was making films like this that manage to walk the line between romantic comedy and sports drama, appealing to both men and women. He manages to draw the best out of Tom Cruise who is everything a movie star should be in this film as well as bringing an unexpected emotional depth to his character. I was surprised by how impressed I was with the quality of the film in addition to being extremely entertained by it and personally it is my favorite of the 1996 Best Picture nominees. Sports agent Jerry Maguire, Cameron Crowe, has an existential crisis and writes a mission statement urging the agency he works for to sign less clients and earn less money but spend more time focusing on them. He is fired after distributing the document to all of his colleagues but single mother and accountant Dorothy Boyd, Renee Zellweger, joins him in leaving the agency and establishing his own business. He finds himself left with only two clients in the flaky Frank Cushman, Jerry O'Connell, and the high maintenance Rodney Tidwell, Cuba Gooding Jr., who he spends more time with. His relationship with Boyd quickly becomes romantic and they are married but Tidwell's demanding nature makes it difficult to get him the contract he desires. Eventually Maguire and Tidwell become close and it is easier for him to negotiate in favor of his client but he and Boyd split leaving him emotionally empty. The beauty of the film is that it can be interpreted in many ways, yes I am serious this light romantic comedy is similar to Persona (1966), as either as a serious romantic comedy or a story of a man manipulating those around him to get his way. I prefer to go with the second interpretation as we see a man have a brief moment of clarity which he misinterprets and then misguidedly decides to pursue his quickly jotted down notes into leaving his job and starting a "new" life. However we see that he doesn't really change as even though he dumps his supposedly materialistic girlfriend his relationship with Boyd is largely based on lines as she chooses to interpret his false actions as being genuine and the two fall into a convenient relationship. Even at the end of the film when the two reconcile we see him employ manipulative methods to get her back and his pursuing of her seems to be driven more by his desire to ‘win' having come off of such great professional success than his real romantic feelings for her. Cruise's performance plays into this interpretation as he brings a unique manic energy to the lead role in addition to having a slightly unlikable edge that original casting choice Tom Hanks would not have brought to the role. We understand why Boyd would be absolutely bowled over by this man who is larger than life and cartoonishly handsome. Of course his delivery of all the iconic lines is memorable and worthy of note but it is the darkness in his character that he touches upon, almost without knowing, in the little moments. Zellweger is a capable romantic lead as she doesn't irritate here as she did in Bridget Jones's Diary (2001) and she and Cruise make a nice pairing with his intensity and her weakness. Child actor Jonathan Lipnicki gives an iconic performance in the moppet child mold as the adorable Ray who can recall random facts and looks impossibly sweet. The whole cast are rather brilliant and while I don't agree with Cuba Gooding Jr. winning an Academy Academy for his performance, I would have given it to James Woods for Ghosts of Mississippi (1996), he gives a highly entertaining turn as a loud, difficult athlete. The whole film, despite being two hours and 19 minutes, breezes by very quickly and you thoroughly enjoy yourself throughout but the movie does have a lot to say about it's main character and his dangerous nature.

• Aug 06, 2019

Jerry Maguire is certainly one of Tom Cruise's best roles. SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Jerry Maguire is certainly one of Tom Cruise's best roles. SHOW ME THE MONEY!

• Feb 01, 2019

The best, GREATEST inspiring sports romcom movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: Secret Garden! And 3 of the best movie quotes ever spoken: "Show me the money!", "You complete me.", and "You had me at 'hello'."

• Jan 12, 2019

Definitely one of the best movies of the 90s. Tom Cruise and Cuba Gooding Jr. knock it out of the park in this brilliantly written mix of genres.

• Dec 18, 2018

Jerry Maguire is a great film. Tom Cruise is magical in the lead role and Crowe, who doesn't have a subpar entry on his short resume, has crafted another winner here. In fact, with its attention to detail, top-notch performances, and universal themes, Jerry Maguire marks his most successful movie to date. The film is basically about a successful sports agent who has a crisis of consciousness as the movie begins. He pens a moving memo but is fired by the seniors because of it, which leads him to start his own sports agency with just one star- a not so great throwback played sumptuously by Cuba Gooding Jr. For anyone who has forgotten the feelings that a wonderful movie can trigger, Jerry Maguire provides a welcome reminder. Beware of product placements though- If it irks you avoid Jerry maguire.

• Oct 25, 2018

So many adult life lessons wrapped in to one movie. Great acting and a super great story. Worth seeing again every few years!

• Sep 23, 2018

Feel good melodrama.

Feel good melodrama.

• Aug 27, 2018

One of Cameron Crowe's best. Tom, Cuba and Renee have been celebrated enough, well deserved! But everyone raves about them. I want to rave about Bonnie Hunt and Jonathan Lipnicki. She is soooo good as Renee's overprotective older sister. And that kid is steals every scene with his cuteness! Best lisp since Cindy Brady.