Jesus Camp - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jesus Camp Reviews

½ August 27, 2016
Unsettling. It's terrible that we allow this to happen to children. Anyone who thinks this is okay scares me. Religious fanaticism is still fanaticism, no matter what your beliefs are. These Christians are just as bad as all the others - stealing their children's independence and free thought before they even have it.
August 7, 2016
this movie made me violently angry
July 30, 2016
A really intense, hard look at how some Americans do Christianity. Originally, I wasn't too bothered by the hardcore teachings of repentance and our need for God's grace. However, some lines are crossed if you look at it from a Biblical perspective. Either way, an intriguing look into something real.
June 5, 2016
Informational, but not much of a story arc. I'd be interested to see a "Where Are They Now".
½ March 10, 2016
Ye gads, these people are crazy.
February 25, 2016
I made it 9 minutes in to this movie before turning it off. Totally f*^#*ed up - child abuse in my opinion.
February 1, 2016
Pretty bad, but also pretty good at the same time.
½ January 31, 2016
As a Christian, this is the most disgusting documentary I have ever watched. In the first 10 minutes you watch as a "christian pastor" shames children, tells them they are dirty and instructs them to wash their hands to be cleanse. She does not teach these children the gospel, grace or the fact that they are loved and adore by God. They do not need to wash their hands to be clean, they need to ask Jesus for forgiveness, receive it and know that they are not perfect, never will be and that's why they have Jesus. Do not watch this, do not show you kids. This made me cry watching those poor children being told they were hypocrites and be shame. There is NO SHAME in Christ Jesus!
½ January 27, 2016
That film made me sick from the first minute on. A sad world we live in^^
½ January 24, 2016
It is appalling to see the nefarious effects of religion and the fundamentalist indoctrination of children carried out by those ignorant, delusional ministers who are so strongly committed to brainwashing them into becoming a bunch of fanatics and turning the USA into a theocracy.
January 4, 2016
A fascinating documentary on a Jesus Camp run by evangelicals that provides very disturbing material outlining the brainwashing of children to adhere to a particular message. It is a reaction to Muslim extremist camps quite clearly and the intolerance instilled in the youngsters is horrible to watch.
January 3, 2016
People.......are fucked
December 30, 2015
A truly shocking Documentary. Its a powerful and scary film that shows you how there is a massive brainwashing movement in America. Everyone should see this film because its an eye opener. The bit where they were praying to the cardboard cut out of George W. Bush was creepy as hell.
December 8, 2015
This documentary, Jesus Camp by Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady is about three kids experience in an Evangelical Christian summer camp that is run by Becky Fischer. The camps main purpose is to help strengthen the belief of Evangelical Christian children.

The whole documentary followed and interviewed three kids who were attending the camp as well as interviewing Becky Fischer on her thoughts of her religion. Everyone who attended the camp seemed believed very strongly in what the camp was about and it showed these people as very dedicated. Throughout the film, many people such as Becky, Ted Haggard (an evangelical pastor), and Lou Engle (a religious leader), about their religious beliefs and and why they believe children are so important to their religion. Also at certain parts of the movie it would jump to Mike Papantonio, an attorney who is a radio talk show host and he answers questions that people ask him on the show. I found these scenes important because it shows a different view of the same religion as Mike is Christian, but he is not Evangelical. This was helpful because it gave me more than one view on a situation. There were also scenes the I felt made no scenes or didn't really make a point in the documentary. One example of this would be one of the multiple scenes of a road or highway and a news broadcast was read or George Bush talking. To me these scenes just feel random and out of place. This documentary helped me personally to understand that there are many different Christian groups are very different even though they all believe that Jesus is God.

The way this documentary was put together was alright as there were random scenes that made no sense and sometimes the transitions were quite abrupt. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to find out another view of Christianity or just interested in the way some people think. The idea is interesting and it did give me insight to how some Christians think but overall I would give this a 3/5.
½ November 22, 2015
The subject lies between being worrisome and depressing.
½ October 27, 2015
Interesting observational movie, though some of the blatantly manipulative editing is annoying, mostly because it seems unnecessary, and the parts with the talk-radio host are tedious and fear-mongering. I think religious indoctrination of children is a big problem, but the apocalyptic notion of the religious far-right taking over America (a notion that was, to be fair, a popular and dispiriting one in that Dubya era) is unhelpful, and of course proving itself more and more wrong as the years go by.
October 15, 2015
I think Derek Malcolm from This is London said it best saying, "Why bother with horror films when you can see this?"
October 2, 2015
Proof that there is a Satan. He exists and is alive and well in the evangelical church. Just terrifying.
September 8, 2015
This movie really shows the dark side of child indoctrination...