Ji Zhan (Unbeatable) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ji Zhan (Unbeatable) Reviews

½ January 23, 2015
Nice movie from China..
January 8, 2015
Dante Lam rarely disappoints...
June 27, 2014
Awesome action movie with a wonderful heart warming story-line. Well acted and Nick did a wonderful job training himself up for this movie!! So worth watching
½ June 25, 2014
And great hit from director Dante Lam, with fantastic performances from Nick Cheung and cast. Touching, hard hitting and funny, Unbeatable delivers Hollywood standards without having to stick your fingers in your throat.
June 19, 2014
Not yet achieving the best form of the best Hong Kong, Unbeatable is a good Rocky clone with MMA directed with firm hand and gritty vigor.
June 19, 2014
winner of 2014 hk film best actor award. unbeatable showcases some of the best thespians young and old under the masterful direction of dante lam! an impressive and thrilling characters drama piece truly larger-than-life!! : D
April 13, 2014
Finale un po' troppo accelerato, ma varie cose apprezzabili nel mezzo
½ March 22, 2014
Well done and involving even for those who are clueless about MMA; Fai: Don't get angry in a match. Or you'll forget everything.
March 21, 2014
I find the pacing of the film really ruined the experience for me. While the side stories dominated the majority of the opening, it had a big fight just past the half way mark when it felt like it was the end of the film. Instead, the movie went on, however, none of its later half lived up to the pace and excitement of the first half that could easily lose its audiences. Also, the film ended hastily despite some of the solid characters and side stories, perhaps preparing itself for a sequel, but it does feel unsatisfying and ungratifying. For a Chinese sports film, the movie definitely took advice from films like Rocky, and not a poor effort during the actual fighting scenes. Also needs to be mentioned is the awesome performance by Nick Cheung.
March 13, 2014
The hard work behind the scene is more appealing than the movie itself.
March 12, 2014
Brilliant performance from all the cast members. This is the Chinese version of "Rocky".
½ March 12, 2014
I like Eddie Peng, but the movie is a complete disaster. It's a waste of talent, could have improved the storyline a bit.
March 9, 2014
3/5 I liked it, but the fighting championship doesn't make any sense, most of the fight choreography is weak and the melodrama, while being better than most hollywood fare, is as pieced together as the fighting championship itself. That sounds all bad, but it was still good and way better than most.
½ March 6, 2014
7/10: Director Dante Lam created an engaging and heartfelt MMA drama by placing character before action, Lam crafts a captivating portrait of fallen individuals rising to the life's challenge.
½ February 16, 2014
[2013-12-12] I love its story took place in Macao, I think everyone here has their own stories.
February 11, 2014
The action does provide some intense moments, some sense of urgency required in an action film to the audience and keeps the film constantly engaging despite a running time of nearly 2 hours....a recommended watch....
January 29, 2014
I know MMA is huge in Asia right now and there has already been a few MMA films in the west, so upon first glance the movie may feel like a bit of a sell out. Undoubtedly the novelty of MMA has been used to sell this movie but Unbeatable could have been about any sport, essentially it was thoughtful, entertaining film.
Cheung's plays a similar role to the one he played in " Beast Stalker"; a guy with a successful boxing background who gets himself involved in crime, leading to a life of hardship. In the events of the movie Cheung's character becomes acquainted with his new grief stricken landlord and her daughter which give him motive to redeem himself. Yuyan's character plays the son of a, bankrupt business man who's hit rock bottom. He gets drunks every night and becomes bitter with his son. Nonetheless Cheung Tries desperately to get his father back on his feet again. Both men enter an MMA tournament to inspire their loved ones to get through their difficulties.
The underdog fighting for a noble cause, I could have predicted the plot but it was just so well executed that it wasn't really and issue. The the progression between the drama and action was great and both aspects had equally developed. I was compelled me through to the very end. I guess you don't always need and original plot to make a good movie. As expected Cheung portrayal of his character was excellent but also a notable mention for Mei Ting's portrayal of the insane bereaving mother. Man I love the over the top, screwed up physiological stuff Hong Kong action movies often have. There were also some really well done comedic and feel-good moments in the film that makes you wanna "ahhhh".
this movie doesn't get into the technical, geeky aspects of MMA and in fact gets some of the rules wrong. I would have liked the fights to be more visceral perhaps more swelling makeup. I just didn't get that sense of intense, physical pain that I remembered in movies like "Best of the best" or "Rocky." but I'm really that's just nit picking. I don't really watch many Asian films but ill definitely be watching out for this creative team in the future.
January 17, 2014
by far my favourite Dante Lam-and-Nick Cheung collaboration with gritty and vivid MMA fight scenes and an undeniably heart-warming story that doesn't shove itself down into my throat with its melodrama. an awesome HK production that doesn't take place in HK, how ironic
January 12, 2014
Some of the melodrama scenes and the cheesy lines by Qi was quite disappointing, but it was saved by the unexpected ending.
½ December 30, 2013
An excellent sports movie from Hong Kong covering Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)- intense and immaculately choreographed matches are integrated seamlessly with some interesting and emotionally charged character/plot development , reminding me of 'Warrior'.