Jiro Dreams of Sushi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jiro Dreams of Sushi Reviews

½ January 14, 2017
Jiro gives up everything to be good at one thing -- making the perfect mouthful. He has become a culinary cult hero, but to what end? This film asked me to take a closer look on how I divide up my energies.
½ December 11, 2016
What can one make of a documentary about a man so singularly dedicated to his craft? Blending the man behind 3 Michelin star small establishment and the focussed care he shows to produce only the best sushi (and no other food), this is an absolutely fascinating documentary.
October 22, 2016
Fascinating and brilliant. A unique story that will stay with you. It was both heartfelt and unusual in many ways, especially in its display of determination, dedication and passion. Perfect mix of bio, culture, tribal knowledge and modern adaptation. Highly recommended!
½ October 9, 2016
Really well done documentary that for me really started foody-docs, before chef's table, etc... Well shot, good narrative and very entertaining.
September 28, 2016
A fantastic documentary, really shows you the philosophy of Jiro and how he carries it out in life and his profession, extremely motivational.
September 10, 2016
Remarkable study of what it's like to totally devote yourself to mastering your craft or art. I only wish the filmmaker had subscribed to Jiro's standards of simplicity and purity. The film needed another pass through the edit room, and the overbearing Philip Glass style music score got on my nerves after a while.
September 3, 2016
This documentary isn't really about sushi, it's about the man, someone who literally embodies his own work. It offers a peculiar and fascinating insight into his life that raise more questions than they answer.
August 14, 2016
Always strive to be greater than you are, Jiro showed me how you can even take something as simple as sushi to extravagant levels. The movie does lose it's momentum and then it picks it up once again when they show their sushi methods, but then followed by the repetition you already got bored of in the first half.
August 1, 2016
El mejor documental que he visto en mi vida.
July 24, 2016
não é sobre sushi, é sobre a vida e sobre todos os campos que um único filme pode abordar é sobre tradição, cultura, é sobre preparo, é sobre paternidade, sustentabilidade, respeito a posteridade e acima de tudo uma lição devida que nos impõe uma reflexão diária para toda a vida: em que eu vou me aprimorar hoje ?
July 15, 2016
One of the few restaurants in the world to receive the 3 star rating 3 years in a row from Michelini which is a self examined character study of Jiro's infamous small 10 seat sushi restaurant located on one of Tokyo's subway stations. And at the beginning, we also get to witness how hard it is to book a seating to his small restaurant in which you have to book it one month in advance. His obsessiveness to making the perfect sushi is similar to baseball players always talking about baseball or football players always talk about football or soccer players always talking about soccer. From the rice to how hard the sushi have to squeezed to the perfect seafood is all addressed here.
July 8, 2016
Absolutely amazing. The worlds greatest sushi chef. Still going at age 90. A masterclass in mastering your craft. Lots of lessons in this beautiful documentary too.
½ July 3, 2016
It's as perfect as the sushi it films.
June 21, 2016
Watch this film before quitting your job.
½ June 16, 2016
Al terminar de verla dan ganas de irte a vivir a Japón en el acto.
June 7, 2016
From the makers of the Netflix show Chef's table what a brilliant documentary!
May 12, 2016
Great Japanese documentary on 3 star Michelin Sushi Chef Jiro. Now I'm off to Kobe's...
May 7, 2016
A detailed and inspired look at one of Sushi's icons. It's amazing how many times we have referenced this movie after seeing it. In a long line of "food movies", this one thoroughly tells a story and leaves you with a sincere appreciation for Jiro's culinary art.
April 23, 2016
I don't really care about sushi. I don't think I've ever eaten it and I don't intend to anytime soon. You know who does care about sushi though? Jiro. The dude dreams about the stuff, ya know?

A very affectionate and sweet look at at a group of people who make sushi for a living. Their care and attention to the process is admirable and entirely deserving of this film. It certainly warms the heart and knowing that, in 2016, ole' Jiro is still going at the ripe age of 90, only adds to that.

It doesn't meander along too much thanks to its fair runtime and it offers more than enough of the human element to make it appealing to those who aren't solely interested in the specifics of sushi making.

I still don't really care about sushi but I care about this film.
½ April 12, 2016
"Jiro Dreams of Sushi" is a tribute to the art form of sushi. At the onset of this film, it is hard to imagine any meal that could be worth $240. But by the end, you will be ready to hop on a plane to Tokyo and pay your $240 to experience the artwork of this master sushi chef. This documentary is great because it is part biography and part food catalogue. In fact, this film was originally intended to highlight a diverse group of sushi chefs with different styles. However, when director David Gelb experienced visited Jiro's Michelin three-star restaurant, he realized that the sushi was beyond anything else that he had ever tried and that Jiro was a compelling character that deserved his own story. You will learn so much about sushi during this documentary and will be making plans with friends for a sushi date before the end of the film. I was particularly interested in the main character's routine to get the best ingredients from the fish market and the size of the enormous tuna. The sushi that this man crafts in his 10-seat restaurant is absolutely beautiful. In addition to Jiro's high standards for fish and rice, you will also see his high standards for his apprentices. As he mentions, his front of the house part of the process is only 5% of the final product and the true quality of the experience stems from his team behind the scenes. It is also interesting to see how his passion rubbed off on his two sons, one of which opened his own sushi restaurant and the other who will succeed his father in running the flagship restaurant someday (even though he is already 50-years-old). "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" is a unique documentary, the likes of which we have never seen, as it combines a historical look at the development of sushi with a cooking tutorial and an expose on the life and career of Jiro Ono.