Jiro Dreams of Sushi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jiro Dreams of Sushi Reviews

½ August 15, 2017
It is exactly beautiful documentaries like these that make me want to move to Japan even more. The pinnacle of human culinary experience, I would like to eat Jiro's restaurant at least once in my lifetime.
July 29, 2017
I give this a 96/A+.
July 14, 2017
Preferably watch this while eating sushi.
½ June 2, 2017
Great food documentary. Sometimes movies with subtitles can feel tedious but this one did not. Absolutely fascinating how much Jiro honed his craft. Loved it.
½ May 21, 2017
Try to climb higher motivated by the love for the career
May 8, 2017
A mouthwatering documentary that is very well made, interesting, and entertaining, maybe the best documentary I've seen!!!!!
February 26, 2017
Esse filmes me ensinou algumas coisas que irei levar para a vida!
February 12, 2017
This is one of the best documentaries ever made, about one of the best chefs to have ever lived.
½ January 14, 2017
Jiro gives up everything to be good at one thing -- making the perfect mouthful. He has become a culinary cult hero, but to what end? This film asked me to take a closer look on how I divide up my energies.
½ December 11, 2016
What can one make of a documentary about a man so singularly dedicated to his craft? Blending the man behind 3 Michelin star small establishment and the focussed care he shows to produce only the best sushi (and no other food), this is an absolutely fascinating documentary.
October 22, 2016
Fascinating and brilliant. A unique story that will stay with you. It was both heartfelt and unusual in many ways, especially in its display of determination, dedication and passion. Perfect mix of bio, culture, tribal knowledge and modern adaptation. Highly recommended!
½ October 9, 2016
Really well done documentary that for me really started foody-docs, before chef's table, etc... Well shot, good narrative and very entertaining.
September 28, 2016
A fantastic documentary, really shows you the philosophy of Jiro and how he carries it out in life and his profession, extremely motivational.
September 10, 2016
Remarkable study of what it's like to totally devote yourself to mastering your craft or art. I only wish the filmmaker had subscribed to Jiro's standards of simplicity and purity. The film needed another pass through the edit room, and the overbearing Philip Glass style music score got on my nerves after a while.
September 3, 2016
This documentary isn't really about sushi, it's about the man, someone who literally embodies his own work. It offers a peculiar and fascinating insight into his life that raise more questions than they answer.
August 14, 2016
Always strive to be greater than you are, Jiro showed me how you can even take something as simple as sushi to extravagant levels. The movie does lose it's momentum and then it picks it up once again when they show their sushi methods, but then followed by the repetition you already got bored of in the first half.
August 1, 2016
El mejor documental que he visto en mi vida.
July 24, 2016
não é sobre sushi, é sobre a vida e sobre todos os campos que um único filme pode abordar é sobre tradição, cultura, é sobre preparo, é sobre paternidade, sustentabilidade, respeito a posteridade e acima de tudo uma lição devida que nos impõe uma reflexão diária para toda a vida: em que eu vou me aprimorar hoje ?
July 15, 2016
One of the few restaurants in the world to receive the 3 star rating 3 years in a row from Michelini which is a self examined character study of Jiro's infamous small 10 seat sushi restaurant located on one of Tokyo's subway stations. And at the beginning, we also get to witness how hard it is to book a seating to his small restaurant in which you have to book it one month in advance. His obsessiveness to making the perfect sushi is similar to baseball players always talking about baseball or football players always talk about football or soccer players always talking about soccer. From the rice to how hard the sushi have to squeezed to the perfect seafood is all addressed here.
July 8, 2016
Absolutely amazing. The worlds greatest sushi chef. Still going at age 90. A masterclass in mastering your craft. Lots of lessons in this beautiful documentary too.