Joy Reviews

• 4d ago

Boring and lame movie. This was was such an unnecessary movie to make even if it is based on a true story (from what I've heard). Being based on a true story doesn't automatically make it good. Really not a whole lot happens in Joy. Also, I can't stand Jennifer Lawrence (both as a person and as an actress). Jennifer Lawrence was severely miscast as the main character. She was too young to be believable as the title character cause the actual character in real life was many years older during the events and a middle-aged woman in which this film took place. Jennifer Lawrence's not a middle-aged adult, she is a young adult and just does not fit the role. The movie's story was boring and really did not need to be told in the first place. I would have liked this movie a lot more if they had gotten a better, more charismatic, and different lead actress than Jennifer Lawrence. The writing and directing really bogged down the film. Jennifer Lawrence was just the icing on the shit cake. Honestly, this would've been much better if it had a better lead actress. I don't see the appeal in Jennifer Lawrence. Her performance was FAR from Oscar-worthy and she didn't even deserve to win a Golden Globe Award. Joy is a joyless film. Rating: 4.1/10

• 6d ago

Not exactly the most intruiging story. JLaw's character invents an updated version of a mop and gets her idea taken by a parts manufacturer. The acting is top notch by her I'll say that, but that's about all this had going for it even with the mini Silver Lines Playbook reunion here

• Aug 31, 2019

This was a great movie!

This was a great movie!

• Jul 26, 2019

Great way to put life pretty much he is say we is killing are on kind and enough is never enough we all ways want more

• Jun 07, 2019

This is my favorite movie with Jen as protagonist. Love it!

This is my favorite movie with Jen as protagonist. Love it!

• May 19, 2019

Great film. Mesmerising performance by Jennifer and the supporting cast. Really good feel good film. Highly enjoyable.

• May 18, 2019

Brilliant intense performance from Jennifer Lawrence.

Brilliant intense performance from Jennifer Lawrence.

• May 15, 2019

This is a film that never really takes off despite Jennifer Lawrence's great performance in the lead. David O. Russell was on such a hot streak coming off of Silver Linings Playbook (2012) and American Hustle (2013) and this feels like such a regression from those well constructed and entertaining films that manage to be deceptively meaningful. There are still moments in the film that sing but not nearly enough to overcome it's bizarre pacing, poor handling of supporting characters and rushed character arc for it's lead character. With this assembly of talent you expect something far greater than what feels like an odd mishmash of various different better films but you end up with a by the numbers biopic. Joy Mangano, Jennifer Lawrence, is a struggling mother of two living in small town New York with her depressed mother, Virginia Madsen, and her failed lounge singer ex-husband Tony, Edgar Ramirez. She is determined to make a success out of herself and invents a self wringing mop which is quickly titled â~the Miracle Mop'. She gains financing through her deadbeat father Rudy, Robert De Niro, because he is in a relationship with a wealthy Italian woman Trudy, Isabella Rossellini. After several complications in manufacturing the mop Joy is eventually able to sell it to a telemarketing company where she becomes a star as an advertiser for her product. Her sudden success is quickly cut short by various tragedies that befall her but her spirit endures. Lawrence is giving a performance that is far too good for the movie she is in. She brings something new to the tough young woman who prospers late in life through her own self determination. She is tough but the moments at which she is emotionally vulnerable feel believable and the shock and reproach with which she greets her father and his girlfriend seem natural and realistic when being portrayed by Lawrence. She earned her Best Actress nomination but the film around her wasn't worthy of her efforts. The strangest part of the film is it's treatment of the characters, mainly male, around Joy. Her lounge singer ex-husband is introduced as a deadbeat who lives off of her and his introductory scenes are decent as we understand that he is a man who has not been able to achieve his dreams. Ramirez does a decent enough job with the material he is given but the shift from being a hanger on to being a supportive friend to our beleaguered protagonist comes far too quickly and no real reason is given for his change. Possibly even worse is the inclusion of telemarketing executive Neil Walker, Bradley Cooper in what is essentially a cameo, who appears as a major character in one scene and then is dropped. He is meant to be a sort of Ted Turner maverick and introduces his ambitions for his business to Joy but I assumed he was going to become her adversary or love interest or have some bearing on the story. Wasting two perfectly good actors on underwritten roles is disappointing when considering Russell has found ways to use De Niro in small roles really well. Joy's character arc also feels extremely rushed as we get the usual eureka moment and obstacles in the form of the hangers on around her but her final triumph after a failure has so little build up. We see her chop her hair off to form a chic bob and wear sunglasses and a leather jacket therefore she has the ability to confront and manipulate those who have defrauded her. We also don't get any growth from any of her family members except for her mother and that comes in the slightly offensive form of her having a foreign boyfriend. I wanted more time spent with Joy as she tried to figure out how to maneuver herself out of a difficult situation and a more satisfying conclusion to the stories of the supporting characters. This isn't a film worth watching. If you want to see a great Lawrence-Russell team up watch Silver Linings Playbook (2012) or American Hustle (2013). Along with Accidental Love (2015) was a really down year for David O. Russell who is usually great.

• May 09, 2019

The films directing is choppy and predictable ,but Jennifer's performance is incredible and shows the struggle of her life.

• Mar 23, 2019

La historia detrás de la inventora del "Miracle Mop" resulta en una película a tarifas entretenida, a ratos conmovedora y en general bien actuada por el repartazo que tiene, especialmente Jennifer Lawrence y De Niro.