Joyful Noise Reviews

LWOODS04
January 13, 2012
"Joyful Noise was indeed joyful. I liked it. I thought it had an essence of Glee and Sister Act going for it. The movie had a lot of emotions going on in it. You had mourning, joy, silliness, humor, and a lot of the times, heartfelt scenes. I thought everyone did a great job. I couldn't believe the Queen put Ms. Dolly in a headlock. That was pretty funny. It's something to watch with the kids. I enjoyed the singing and the ribbing Dolly and the Queen gave each other. I would probably see this again."
½ January 16, 2012
Corny, sappy and predictable, but I expected that. Big payoff at the end, which I expected and enjoyed. The rest of the movie was average at best. Dolly Parton's face is quite comical....
June 6, 2012
Who would have ever said "man I wish Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah made a movie together"? Well, someone did and they did. This is a dramedy/musical. Story of a church choice trying to get their act together after a death in their church, while trying to win a choir competition. Parton and Larifah are obviously opposites and their characters reflect their real life persona's and they clash. While they glass Parton's grandson and Latifah's son start a romance, adding a good dynamic to the story. However the movie is filled with chiche's, a mix of good and odd musical choices, and cheesy performances. Definitely a chick flick, guys skip this one.
jjnxn
May 19, 2012
Formulaic entertainment that suffers whenever Queen Latifah or Dolly Parton is off the screen. They are both in fine voice although it's a horror show what Dolly has done to her face. Enjoyable but forgettable and minor.
PantaOz
April 28, 2012
This musical, starring Queen Latifah, Dolly Parton, Keke Palmer, Courtney B. Vance, Francis Jue, and introducing Jeremy Jordan was written and directed by Todd Graff, with gospel-infused music by Mervyn Warren. It is made for a certain type of audience and it won't be popular all around the globe. If you like religious tones and find joy in listening good singers give 100%, it is a perfect way to spend joyful afternoon. On the other hand, if you like a real story, not just carefully assorted choice of feel-good clichés, maybe you should choose something else in your nearest video store.

There is not much to say about the plot of this movie: After the untimely death of the church choir director (Kris Kristofferson, very strong minded no-nonsense mother of two - Vi Rose Hill (Queen Latifah) takes control of the choir nurturing traditional Gospel style that their Pastor Dale (Courtney B. Vance) approves of, while the director's widow, G. G. Sparrow (Dolly Parton), the main benefactor to the church, believes she should have been given the position...

Most of the music is very good, very entertaining numbers, and when you have stars like Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton it is not a problem enjoying it. But, even with their chemistry, they score just enough for a "fresh tomato" if you are a fan, and not enough if you are in other group. I'll quote Richard Corliss of Time magazine who wrote "the critic in me can authoritatively declare that the film is crap. The fan in me sent his shirt to the dry cleaners for tear removal." I wasn't crying but I could understand those who did.

If you are ready for something with lots of beat in it, no high art, some folk wisdom, check it out - and have some faith before turning on the player!
SC007
January 15, 2012
The film isn't bad, but it isn't great. It felt like Sister Act 2, which I thought was a much better film that this. Some scenes in the film also reminded me of the Footloose remake. It was great seeing Dolly Parton on the big screen again. I liked her in 9 to 5 and Straight Talk. One of the best scenes in the film is her confrontation with Queen Latifah in the restaurant. Queen Latifah also did a great job, as did Keke Palmer. Jeremy Jordan reminded me of Chris Pine. Jesse L. Martin was great in his supporting role, but they should have given him more to do. The music is really good in the film. I could see this being adapted for Broadway.
January 21, 2012
I have to admit, it has some charm and spirit, and some decently good acting, but it didn't give a whole boast and is entirely predictable and corny, it got some little joy, but it wasn't that joyful. C-
TheAngryAsian
January 10, 2012
The past has offered very similar films like this, and "Dream Girls" is probably as decent as they're going to get. With horrible films like the "Hairspray" remake and "Fame", I wasn't expecting much from this. The film introduces the typical main character. A young girl with a hidden talent. In this case, singing. I want to take this time to talk about the music industry. While all music has been essentially ruined by auto-tune and ridiculous lyrics, this film tries to offer up a different kind of music that requires you to actually use your voice instead of rely on Soundtrack Pro all the time. But, then again, if this kind of music isn't your taste, you won't like the film. I don't know who the film was directed towards, but I'm just going to say what I think. African-American teenagers. Come one, you know I'm right! I can't imagine an Asian liking this. I mean, I'm Asian and my taste in music is more instrumental. The film is just so cliched that all the plot points just seem staged. I guess America likes watching fresh minds achieve greatness, but really; do we actually need another singer? I mean, all music sounds the same these days anyway, so what's the point? The fact that these people call themselves, "artists" is just sickening. Art has nothing to do with auto-tune and sound software and talking along with a beat. Art is beyond all that, and if conveyed correctly, you can make something good and enthralling. But this? This is just a bunch of shlock. The characters are stale, the film is butchered with corny dialogue, and is full of music-industry stereotypes. "I'm gonna give this kid her big shot" kind of thing. Overall, a bad movie.
½ June 26, 2013
A little cheesy and silly, but I really liked it. I adore Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah, and I thought they were great in their parts.
½ January 9, 2012
Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah make 'Joyful Noise' (2012) just as memorable as its powerful musical performances. It can be funny and insightful, but overall it's heartwarming.
January 21, 2012
Better than I expected. Wasn't too preechy and the songs were pretty good. If you like Glee you'll probably like this movie. Acting was ok, and the Dolly/Latifah was decent enough.
December 1, 2013
To the producers of this movie: Tyler Perry called, he wants his formulaic plotline back. Dolly Parton gives this movie at least a star. But this is an extremely contrived movie. Imagine "Glee" with auto-tuning. Bleh.
½ May 10, 2012
Good overall if not a mix between films such as Sister Act and Fried Green Tomatoes or something. There are really no surprises and the ending was predictable. Dolly Parton's face made me do a "what the ...!!!" out loud and the fact Queen Latifah comments on her face was even better.
January 20, 2013
I totally disagree. The movie was great and the cast singing were very talented. I purchased the movie and my family and me love it.
January 6, 2013
JOYFUL NOISE is a joy indeed! Some people don't like JOYFUL NOISE, but then again, some people don't like to smile 'neither! :) It's not groundbreaking, it's not pretentious, it's not trying to do anything but bring some joy and share some fantastic music. The arrangements are truly stunning as are the voices of Dolly Parton, Queen Latifah, Jeremy Jordan and so on. It's good to feel good after seeing a feel-good movie!
December 22, 2012
great music sung by two top singers (Dolly Parton and Queen LAtifah) help this film shine past it weak story
½ September 20, 2012
I sure do love me some Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah, but this movie was flat-out bad! I was thoroughly disappointed in everything about this movie. The acting is overdone, the plot is horrible and the movie is all-around awful.
September 19, 2012
absoultely sensational and definitely reminds me of the gospel and what a joyful noise this film has made it's really quite the inspirational journey that all the characters take it's funny how the church and god bring people together of all walks of life to bridge the gap plus i loved the story it's something you can get lost into and at the end feel overjoyed with the power of praise overall it's a really well done film kudos to the cast and director