Judge Dredd - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Judge Dredd Reviews

July 15, 2017
This movie could have and should have been much better.
June 26, 2017
Fun action sci fi flick. Very 90s action movie.
½ June 9, 2017
I am the movie law! Judge Dredd opens with a text crawl narrated by none other than James Earl Jones, followed by Fergee (Rob Schnieder) being released back into a deplorable society after serving a prison sentence for hacking. When he arrives in his new living quarters, he?s greeted by a firing squad who partake in a riot, and results in him hiding a food recycler that perfectly showcases how stretched resources are in this society. To deal with the riots, street judges, which are cops, judges, juries, and when they decide, executioner, and it is here we meet our lead: Judge Joe Dredd (Sylvester Stallone), along with other judges Hershey (Diane Lane) and a few others, who wait for backup that comes in the form of Dredd. Long story short, he stops the riot, and even figures out that Fergee hid in the food recycling machine, sentencing him to jail right there, despite explanations that he wasn?t hacking the machine. What follows is Dredd being forced by Chief Justice Fargo (Max Von Sydow) to train cadets two days a week, and after a frame-up, Judge Dredd is sentenced to prison, where he reunites with Fergee on the transport, and escapes when a group of wackos living outside the mega city shoot it down, and what follows after that is them working together to get back to Mega City 1. It?s short and sweet at less than a hundred minutes, and is clear from beginning to end what?s going on and why Dredd does what he does. He?s developed as a hardcore follower of the law who realizes that the man made law he?s enforcing may not be perfect, as emphasized by Fergee, the eyes and ears of the audience, which helps me transition into my next point: the social commentary. This is obviously a commentary on crime and the criminal justice system, which is timely when you recall the crimewave of the early 1990s, which may have been an influence on this movie. They do a really good job at being subtle on that and focusing on Dredd and Fergee?s journey home. My only complaint would have to be the dated visual effects that give the Star Wars Prequel CGI a run for their money. There were a few obviously fake green-screens and there was a certain level of fakeness I couldn?t get out of my head with the CGI. Otherwise, everything there enforced the dystopia and the message of what happens when government overreaches. Alan Silvestri soundtrack conveys the appropriate emotions, and feels appropriate in the dystopian setting, though a little more techno would have helped. Judge Dredd, the character and the movie, lack a sense of humor, but it?s ok for the tone, and there are a few laugh-worthy lines here and there, with surprisingly clean language for an R-rated movie. The themes and occasional blood may be the reason for it, but that?s just me, because like the legal system in this movie, the MPAA is difficult to understand.
½ May 22, 2017
Man that's a hot fuzz one! Anything with mister Sly goes for me so i'm not going to be really fair on this one! It's not the best film ever but i like it and think it's a fun entertainment!
½ April 7, 2017
Watch the 2012 version of Dredd instead not this version.
March 20, 2017
It's silly, but it's fun. Stallone's warble is always entertaining when he barks out "I am the lwawr!"
½ March 12, 2017
Having seen the new version some years ago, I figured it was time to check out the first one from the 90's. Yeah, it's not all that good, but who cares, you're watching a 90's action flick. Eat some popcorn and relax.
½ February 10, 2017
Sylvester Stallone stars in the futuristic sci-fi action film Judge Dredd. Large concentrations of population and the lack of food and resources have resulted in large densities of crime. A new program has resulted in human soldiers that have the ability to be judge jury and executioner. Judge Dredd is one of the best in his field, but at times his judgement is in question as he seems to want to kill first and ask questions later.

A council of individuals determine the law, trains new cadets to be justice, but even the head of the council wonders if the program they have created is truly the best for the people. The program's sense of justice is in question, but to make matters worse Judge Dredd is framed for murder. His friend Judge Hershey (Diane Lane) tries to defend him, but the evidence is overwhelming which includes a DNA sample. Dredd is sentenced to life in prison and is transported with Fergie (Rob Schneider) a prisoner he sentenced not too long ago. The two work together to clear Dredd's name and return things to order. He is up against his brother (Armand Assante) and violent mechanic robot.

Judge Dredd is a pretty typical blockbuster action film from the 90s. The film is not without campy and cheesy moments. Schneider tries his best to offer the comedic relief in the film. Stallone gives his usual performance. The film does not have many thrilling action sequences, but does a good job with sets to give the movie a futuristic feel. Dredd is pretty much what you would expect and that was not much.

-2.10.2017
January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 16, 2017
Dredd is campy fun but also ridiculous. Diane Lane and Stallone are good, but Rob Schneider is unbearable.
½ December 17, 2016
Gotta love the bad Stallone films. This is definitely up there! "I am the law!" "I knew you'd say that" and Rob Schneider! This movie is very terribly bad but so fun to watch and laugh at :-)
December 6, 2016
Rob Schneider is... a dystopian future hacker Judge sidekick!
December 2, 2016
Stupid fun, with an emphasis on stupid.
November 27, 2016
Corny, over-the-top fun. Most likely to be a guilty pleasure.
November 5, 2016
I found this movie more accessible and engaging than the 2012 movie, but that's not too surprising since 90's scifi is what I grew up wit so all the tropes and level of quality in this movie is familiar. It was also a nice change from the modern dystopia in which this movie presents a struggle between those of power so when there's the option to try a different way,the possibly fallible system remains because it's what the people in power know best
August 3, 2016
For what this film is and where it fit in the 90s.. it was a great flick. Loved the young diane lane and stallone at his peak. Just good times
jamrcla
½ July 30, 2016
Not as bad as people make it out to be, A weird story but quite entertaining, Corny in places but a pretty decent action movie.
May 27, 2016
Judge Dredd fails on every technical aspect of conceptual depth and coherent storytelling, but its generic special effects, campy action, over-the-top acting, and unintentional hilarity makes it worth watching as a guilty pleasure.
½ April 13, 2016
Why did they include Schneider as a comic relief is still beyond me. Judge Dredd is a horrendous adaptation to the infamous comic strip series, starring Sylvester Stallone as the titular character who is being framed for a crime he didn't commit. The futuristic element was not very well expressed in the film, the action sequences were quite bland. May be enjoyed by fans interested in the comic book genre but others might find it somewhat sub par.
March 20, 2016
'Judge Dredd' is an infinitely entertaining campy mess. This cliche-ridden, overblown, unintentionally funny pulp-fest is tons of fun for all the wrong reasons. I love it.