Kill Bill: Volume 1 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kill Bill: Volume 1 Reviews

½ September 19, 2017
With Quentin's wonderful directing, Therman's terrific acting and the interesting and intriguing story. Kill Bill is UNMISSABLE.
September 16, 2017
This is Tarantino's second best and most memorable film, after the fabulous Pulp Fiction (1994). It contains all the elements to make a good old, stylish, Tarantino movie : the script is unique and really well written and the style that this film has is incredible. The acting is also very good and there's an insane shit tone of gore. And, it's probably the best revenge movie I've ever seen. Recommended !!
September 10, 2017
Not just an incredibly comedic action experience, but a well crafted vengeful incision that compliments the Shaw Brothers classical Martial Arts films of its kind. The cinematography is well laid out by Robert Richardson whom did the picture work for Inglorious Bastards, The Aviator and Shutter Island, the action sequences are hilariously intense and the plot is just what you would expect out of a 70's Martial Arts flick.

The Japanese school girl whom nearly stole Uma Thurman's show (Chiaki Kuriyama) gave a performance a New York audience would clap to giving her praise for the hard work she imposed as the hardcore "Go Go Yubari" role that would skyrocket her to Japanese fame.

This movie gives you the action you want and the suspense you're looking for without taking it too seriously. A perfect mark of respect for the films that use to be the ones most would spend a Sunday afternoon watching.
September 4, 2017
Some schmuck takes a comic book, doesn't make any effort to adapt it to film, and mashes it with a ninja movie that isn't even middling for the genre, and everyone loves it just because it's Quentin Tarantino?

The opening is good (enough, expecting some over-the-top antics from Tarantino), and it remains pretty compelling through the flash-back to the hospital, her escape, the journey to Okinawa and receiving the sword from the legendary sword-maker-guy. Dramatic tension actually builds as she races through Tokyo and stakes out the club. Then begins the downhill slide.

From the first ridiculously silly shower-spray of blood from a severed limb, we get a descent from bad to worse. As much as I wanted to see her kill Lucy Liu and "Bill" (if she ever gets to him), it just wasn't worth sitting through another 20 minutes of Hanna Barbera cartoon crap. There are very few movies that I've been unable to stick out until the end, but this definitely was one of them.

One star is generous. Every critic who didn't rip this garbage apart should be ashamed.
September 3, 2017
Tarantino's ode to Japanese cinema is a goddamn masterpiece
September 2, 2017
(5.0 out of 6)

What makes an instrument of death is knowing what is right and wrong in whom to kill, that gives us the strength to overcome our enemies we seek to judge. What gives us the strength doesn't come from what you see from the outside but the inside that makes us worthy to hold the finest sword, when it's not the sword that makes it instrument of death but the warrior that accepts their peace, honour and journey from onward here.
½ September 2, 2017
Kill Bill: Volume 1 is as goodas a revenge thriller can possibly be. You can just feel that Mr. Tarantino had a blast with this one.
August 28, 2017
***
It's undeniably stylish and features some brutally brilliant action sequences, all captured with lush cinematography - but it's rather empty underneath all the glamour, and unfortunately has too many expositional scenes that simply weren't needed.
August 18, 2017
Bloody, yet looks good
½ August 18, 2017
Thrilling, brutally violent, and well-written, Kill Bill Vol. 1 plays out like a Samurai movie, and that style benefits it greatly. On top of that, the cast is top-notch, Tarantino's direction is usually strong, and the action is some of the best ever put to film.
½ August 16, 2017
want to see physics wrong???? then watch this.
½ August 7, 2017
A strange but suprisingly decent movie.
August 3, 2017
Tarantino shows his encyclopedic knowledge of cinema in this gory razzmatazz; mixing two genres which have two often been playing ping-pong; Westerns (Spaghetti in particular) and Samurai films. Naturally globe-trotting, sharing its time between America and Asia, the first volume of 'Kill Bill' is an occasionally over-the-top mainstream spectacle, astonishingly entertaining with its very simple plot and showing an admirably mastered non-chronological narrative line. Uma Thurman is well cast in this modern action packed B-movie. Its viewing has to be followed by Volume 2, they are dependant to one another.
½ July 24, 2017
The action & the story is untouchable. The sequel failed despite the higher ratings? You can appreciate such a great all out action film. With intense storyline and broad characters.
July 22, 2017
Awesome! 4 stars because a two parter so unfinished story, but great revenge story that is an homage to Japanese revenge flicks and lots of other movie types. Girl power too!
½ July 14, 2017
No story whatsoever but awesome fight scenes
June 29, 2017
This is exhilaratingly violent, hilariously witty with provocative humor and well written dialogue. The soundtrack only adds to the explosive action that splats and cuts into your eyes just as much as the characters do on screen. This is Tarantino's definitive golden age of bloody, fun, popcorn entertainment while still having a great story to tell. "I'M SPEECHLESS"
June 29, 2017
Nothing in "Kill Bill" is original, and this is wonderful, we have Italian and French horror, Chinese kung fu movies, Japanese cinema, trash and even western movies, besides we have at least 15 films referenced here, among them; "THRILLER: A CRUEL PICTURE", "THE CHINESE DRAGON", and especially "LADY SNOWBLOOD", and even "GHOST IN THE SHELL", that is, we have a film about movies bringing a Aesthetics and incredible direction and a unique soundtrack. The script even has its surprises, but is very common in its essence, it brings a history of revenge with typical endings of Mexican novels, but the legal one here is not the script that tells the history of the bride who was "dead" in its marriage and Which now seeks revenge, but the way it is told, mixing narrative lines, and in this volume 1 we do not have the beginning or the end, we only have the medium with little background's. We do not have a moral treated in the movie, and if we had it it would be cut in half spouting 27 liters of blood in a stylized way playing the only music possible to give perfection to the moment. The high point of the film, besides the references that Tarantino used to compose his work, references that create scenes and makes Kill Bill a movie of scenes, and therefore his separation in chapters is perfect, Tarantino plays with the camera, makes plans Spectacular sequences, makes 360 °, plays shadows, leaves the screen in PB, changes the photograph, changes the graphics, uses against light, does against plongée and plongée, it makes such a great mixture of techniques, that in the end we have a style completely Kill Bill is an unimaginable movie because all these features are used because they are inspired by several completely different films among themselves, in addition to their optimum sound mix and an amazing assemblage-The scene setting of the arrival of the bride to Japan is Incomparable - and all this gives a rhythm and dynamism in the movie that makes the 2 hours look like 15 minutes and make the viewer beg for more. And of course, we can not fail to mention his magnificent soundtrack, where we have from Bernad Hermann to Ennio Morricone, to Nancy Sinatra, the music is a character in the film, because she is always there, present and screaming, besides participating The rhythm of the long, characters and interact with the action, in addition to being wonderful, Kill Bill has one of the best movie soundtracks for me, even if not original. We do not have major highlights in this first volume, but even so, Uma Thurman is fine and holds the role. Tarantino abuses all his expertise in various areas of the film in this film, and proves that film is learned is watching film. Finally, "Kill Bill" is a movie that many, many will hate, find it coarse or even silly, but its beauty is intrinsic to the eyes of moviegoers and moviegoers and even those looking for something different. "Revenge is a dish that is eaten cold" - old Klingon proverb.
½ June 26, 2017
I'm in love with this ridiculously amazing film.
½ June 26, 2017
Yes, there isn't much other than a top-drawer soundtrack and a catalogue of brilliantly choreographed action sequences, but then, what else do we need?