Kill Bill: Volume 1 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kill Bill: Volume 1 Reviews

½ July 24, 2017
The action & the story is untouchable. The sequel failed despite the higher ratings? You can appreciate such a great all out action film. With intense storyline and broad characters.
July 22, 2017
Awesome! 4 stars because a two parter so unfinished story, but great revenge story that is an homage to Japanese revenge flicks and lots of other movie types. Girl power too!
½ July 14, 2017
No story whatsoever but awesome fight scenes
June 29, 2017
This is exhilaratingly violent, hilariously witty with provocative humor and well written dialogue. The soundtrack only adds to the explosive action that splats and cuts into your eyes just as much as the characters do on screen. This is Tarantino's definitive golden age of bloody, fun, popcorn entertainment while still having a great story to tell. "I'M SPEECHLESS"
June 29, 2017
Nothing in "Kill Bill" is original, and this is wonderful, we have Italian and French horror, Chinese kung fu movies, Japanese cinema, trash and even western movies, besides we have at least 15 films referenced here, among them; "THRILLER: A CRUEL PICTURE", "THE CHINESE DRAGON", and especially "LADY SNOWBLOOD", and even "GHOST IN THE SHELL", that is, we have a film about movies bringing a Aesthetics and incredible direction and a unique soundtrack. The script even has its surprises, but is very common in its essence, it brings a history of revenge with typical endings of Mexican novels, but the legal one here is not the script that tells the history of the bride who was "dead" in its marriage and Which now seeks revenge, but the way it is told, mixing narrative lines, and in this volume 1 we do not have the beginning or the end, we only have the medium with little background's. We do not have a moral treated in the movie, and if we had it it would be cut in half spouting 27 liters of blood in a stylized way playing the only music possible to give perfection to the moment. The high point of the film, besides the references that Tarantino used to compose his work, references that create scenes and makes Kill Bill a movie of scenes, and therefore his separation in chapters is perfect, Tarantino plays with the camera, makes plans Spectacular sequences, makes 360 °, plays shadows, leaves the screen in PB, changes the photograph, changes the graphics, uses against light, does against plongée and plongée, it makes such a great mixture of techniques, that in the end we have a style completely Kill Bill is an unimaginable movie because all these features are used because they are inspired by several completely different films among themselves, in addition to their optimum sound mix and an amazing assemblage-The scene setting of the arrival of the bride to Japan is Incomparable - and all this gives a rhythm and dynamism in the movie that makes the 2 hours look like 15 minutes and make the viewer beg for more. And of course, we can not fail to mention his magnificent soundtrack, where we have from Bernad Hermann to Ennio Morricone, to Nancy Sinatra, the music is a character in the film, because she is always there, present and screaming, besides participating The rhythm of the long, characters and interact with the action, in addition to being wonderful, Kill Bill has one of the best movie soundtracks for me, even if not original. We do not have major highlights in this first volume, but even so, Uma Thurman is fine and holds the role. Tarantino abuses all his expertise in various areas of the film in this film, and proves that film is learned is watching film. Finally, "Kill Bill" is a movie that many, many will hate, find it coarse or even silly, but its beauty is intrinsic to the eyes of moviegoers and moviegoers and even those looking for something different. "Revenge is a dish that is eaten cold" - old Klingon proverb.
½ June 26, 2017
I'm in love with this ridiculously amazing film.
½ June 26, 2017
Yes, there isn't much other than a top-drawer soundtrack and a catalogue of brilliantly choreographed action sequences, but then, what else do we need?
June 17, 2017
This movie was PRETTY AWESOME !!!
June 6, 2017
A very good film, excellent story and the music is really good too
May 23, 2017
Amazing, my favourite Quentin Tarantino movie ever.
May 18, 2017
One of the best brutal action films I have ever seen and a kick ass performance from Uma!!!
May 17, 2017
Kill Bill is an epic film that is split into two volumes, though one story, the two volumes cannot be more different in it's execution. Kill Bill, when I first watched it as a whole, was definitely entertaining but as time went on I have watched Tarantino's films over and over again, I started to lose that feeling that I had with this film and changed my perception of it. Kill Bill may be epic but it lacks something that keeps it from being his best work.

Kill Bill: Volume 1 is written by Quentin Tarantino and what he has written here is simply a revenge-action story. This approach is not a problem for me because it allows me to digest it simply and avoid ambiguity in it's storytelling. Jackie Brown was an example of Tarantino taking a conventional 3 act structure and making it his own. Kill Bill: Vol 1 follows that approach but making it much more epic and somewhat adventurous. The thing about Tarantino's writing here is that he has written something that is much more mainstream friendly than compared to his previous work, which in a way is great because I think that's what he really wants, is to exploit these dying genres and styles to his films for the mainstream audience. An area where I did not fully understand in Tarantino's decision is to include a full backstory of one O-Ren Ishii, though executed with such style and passion, as this villain doesn't prove to be more important than the others and because I have seen the next volume it makes this decision be more of a question mark as that volume focuses more of the backstory of The Bride. Tarantino has written a protagonist that we know very little about, yet we enjoy seeing her kick-ass and reaching closer to her goal. The film is full of dialogue, though not as punchy and indulgent as his previous films as the dialogue here is more reliant on it's attitude and delivery. The most enjoyable part of the film is truly the last half of the film where she is up against O-Ren Ishii, and honestly it is so interesting to see these two battle it out because of all the backstory and hype that is being given to us of O-Ren Ishii, it makes her seem like such a challenging opponent.

This is the 4th film by Quentin Tarantino and between the two volumes, I can definitely say that this first volume is much more fun and entertaining to watch. The reason this film is so appealing is that it is enforced with such style mainly influenced by the Asian cinema, particularly in the 70-80s. I don't mind that the film is stylish but it can only do so much. I am more disappointed with the film's screenplay rather than Tarantino's vision and direction. Kill Bill is the mark for Tarantino, when he started paying homages to his personal attachments in films, and he continues to do so in his latter films. The first three of his films has this technique in delaying action and giving us more of the characters in their most normal moments, but Kill Bill strays away from that by upping the violence and action almost to the point unbelievability. Also, the audience must lower their rational thinking when watching this as the film doesn't take itself too seriously, which is a reason why this is viewed over and over again by it's fans.

Kill Bill is also the start of Robert Richardson's collaboration with Tarantino as his cinematographer. Richardson has worked on prestigious films for most of his career, and worked with prestigious directors like Oliver Stone, Martin Scorsese, and Rob Reiner. Out of all of those directors, I think working with Tarantino allows him to experiment more with the camera and create something more unique. Kill Bill may not look like a unique film as the way it looks feels more like something you have seen before and that is the response that it's supposed to get from us. Kill Bill's photography pays tribute to the shots found on Sergio Leone's films, or the cliches that are found in Asian action films. Kill Bill's image looks colorful and at times being so saturated it loses the sense of naturalism.

Kill Bill is also the start of Tarantino relying on a film score in driving the musical side of the film. His previous films were full of soundtracks that go exquisitely well with the scene, it's the same outcome here but just replacing it with a score from RZA. The score for this film isn't cutting edge or the best I have heard from a Tarantino film but it is stylish enough that it goes with the director's vision. There are spots in the film where you can hear musical segments either made by Ennio Morricone or inspired by it.

This film is primarily driven by Uma Thurman's performance as The Bride and she does a great job, though this isn't my favorite role from her. Thurman has to play this character who is clearly emotionally and physically traumatized by Bill's actions but at the same time project a shade of a bad-ass assassin who is fueled by anger. I don't think anybody else could have accomplished this role physically. As the film doesn't take it's self seriously, it does hold Thurman back from showing her range in acting. Lucy Liu as O-Ren Ishii was great; she was fun, exciting, dangerous, and bitchin'. Liu stand out scene was when she was at the table with a group of Japanese gang leaders, as she managed to come off as frightening but at the same time give off a comedic under tone in her acting. The bulk of the villains are not seen until the second volume, so for the most part it pretty much covers both of these actresses.

Kill Bill is definitely an example of style over substance but it does well enough with the former that it doesn't lead off as such a terrible movie. Do I wish the script was better, yeah maybe it needed a bit more, but that isn't enough for me to dislike it. Give it a try but I suggest lowering one's expectations and rationality before heading in.
½ May 15, 2017
A modern, kung fu, hyper violent, stylistic, throwback, revenge story. What's not to love?
May 13, 2017
Mi primera pelicula de Tarantino.
Es una cosa impresionante y las escenas de pelea muy bien hechas!!
RECOMENDADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 10, 2017
"Kill Bill, Volume 1" is original, but gets tiresome quickly.
May 10, 2017
Unusually empty for a Tarantino film as action takes precedence over story here.
May 3, 2017
Not bad. Funny and bloody.
April 22, 2017
1994's Pulp Fiction Is My Seventh Favorite Film Of All Time And 1992's Reservoir Dogs Is One Of My Favorite Films.
April 17, 2017
Great story, great cast
April 17, 2017
one of the best action movies...ever