Kill the Messenger Reviews

• Aug 09, 2019

A really slow-boil drama. Based on a true story, the direction and Jeremy Renners performance are both reasons to watch this film

• Aug 01, 2019

3.5/5 This is a competent movie, that doesn't really distort the issues surrounding the "Dark Alliance" series that Gary Webb wrote for the San Jose Mercury. But it feels too thin. I think the problem is that there's two movies here, or a miniseries, and both stories deserve a more fleshed out experience. The story of how the US funded the Contras in part with drug money is an important tale, and there were some really damning details that were left out of this movie. Then came the character assassination by Webb's fellow journalists, particularly from the Washington Post and the LA Times, who refused to believe that he could possibly be right. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, we are told, but was the CIA cocaine trafficking really extraordinary? The NY Times published a piece about it in 1993. John Kerry held hearings in 1989. This film's release prompted the Post to write yet another attack piece on Webb, ten years after his suicide. Fortunately, other journalists called them out for it, including the Times. This isn't hagiography. Gary Webb had personal problems, and this movie doesn't shy from them. He is shown as arrogant and headstrong, never questioning himself. This should have been a better movie. I watched All The President's Men afterward, to make myself feel better about journalism's potential, and good paranoid thriller movies.

• May 25, 2019

Superb performance by Jeremy Renner in this bio pic. The true story of a man who reported a story that the big papers missed and the CIA wanted hidden. This film has strong performances. Its main weakness is in the script which seems slightly underdeveloped. However, its a powerful true story that needed to be told. I am sorry I came to it so late.

• Jan 10, 2019

Wow. I never knew about this. True story about how the American gov't brought in $1.2 billion of crack cocaine from South America, to raise money for their Contra army.

• Dec 29, 2018

Jeremy Renner gives a great performance. Not much after that

Jeremy Renner gives a great performance. Not much after that

• Dec 27, 2018

Jeremy Renner delivers another solid performance.

Jeremy Renner delivers another solid performance.

• Dec 17, 2018

didn't care about this movie

didn't care about this movie

• Jul 08, 2018

Could have been better, but this was a different take on the drug war of the 80s. The opposition he received from other news outlets was unnerving.

• Jun 27, 2018

great story that brings truth to light in CIA cover-ups, based on a true story

great story that brings truth to light in CIA cover-ups, based on a true story

• Feb 10, 2018

Another great performance from Jeremy Renner, based on real events the story sometimes crumbles upon itself as it gives more spotlight to the main character than the story itself. Lacks something to make it great, so it's just good.