Kissing Jessica Stein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kissing Jessica Stein Reviews

May 20, 2016
I saw this originally a long time ago. I have since seen Jessica Westfelt's other movie Friends with Kids. I have a real appreciation for the creative writing in the cliche filled world of the romantic comedy.
January 27, 2015
A very enjoyable comedy about love and what attracts us to others.
December 16, 2014
I thought this had important life lessons!
April 13, 2014
I remember being bored by this attempt at a lesbian movie, and switching it off. But I'm willing to give it another try since it's been a few years.
½ March 8, 2014
This movie makes me wax nostalgic for my old hometown of New York City since much of it is shot on location.
½ February 26, 2014
the trailer makes this film seem like a romantic comedy, but also subtly lets you know how it's all going to end. it's not funny in the slightest, and is okay most of the way through the film but the ending ruins the entire thing, i was extremely disappointed with the way this film has made lesbian relationships seem, and it's also kindof homophobic in a way because it's saying that gay relationships are based purely on sex and for a straight woman to turn to another woman for love is her last option when she can't find the right man, but actually that straight woman is just going through a phase and isn't sexually attracted to women and will go back to a man in the end. it makes out as though the gay community are sexually frustrated and can't hold down a happy relationship. watching it in 2014, this film is way behind times with it's views on homosexuality/bisexuality, and it a generally terrible film. badly made, badly written, unfunny, not sexy in the slightest, and the 2 main actresses are so awkward with one another their 'relationship' seems like a joke. 0.5/5 stars. i never want to watch this film again.
½ December 14, 2013
i'm interested in gay stories not much. but i'm glad that she found out she's straight.
November 26, 2013
real comedy , real issues ...written and acted out by great Miss Westfield !
½ September 22, 2013
A well-told story. The only thing I didn't buy was how they stayed friends.
September 13, 2013
When it comes to love, sometimes she just can't think straight.
August 4, 2013
3/5 --- An almost too quirky movie about love/relationships and how it can come unexpectedly from anyone...A movie ahead of its time perhaps, and cutesy in a good but slightly annoying way. The 1st half is mostly comedy with gimmicks, the 2nd half improves with drama and a bit more believability. Love the scene of Jessica and her Mom on the bench...
July 31, 2013
I am a lesbian, and I really want to see this movie! I love the snatch!
½ July 22, 2013
I have a girl crush on Jennifer Westfeldt (which seems appropriate for this movie about a buttoned-up Jewess trying on lesbianism to find her [7] true love[s]). Too bad she's all in a committed long-term relationship with hunk-o-man Jon Hamm.

Westfeldt as Jessica is so adorably neurotic and girl-next-door-pretty. My perennial favorite, Scott Cohen, is mean and tough but also sweetly anguished. Jessica and Helen's romance blossoms awkwardly and hilariously at first, but the moment Jessica comes over to take care of Helen when she's sick is a nice turning point. The movie debates homosexual politics a bit, but it doesn't end with a clear message about whether one should be with her own sex or the other. It also doesn't cheapen Jessica's lesbian relationship as a dalliance.

I also love how the script sneaks in bunches of word-nerd humor and suffering artist philosophy. Judy's monologue about how Jessica quitting the school play because she thought her costar wasn't good enough - and only really hurting herself - is a metaphor for her dating life is eloquent and insightful. Josh's realization at his happiness for Jessica's painting and his own novel writing is a necessary reminder for all creative artists. Blech.
July 17, 2013
Good, but not great. Westfeldt was herself, but something was missing here.
July 16, 2013
The magic lies in the characters; wonderfully real. It examines the fluidity of sexuality, the meaning of love, and the power of family and friends. It is a brief and wonderful window into another life.
½ July 11, 2013
Just a really inspirational movie. It's all worth it for the single scene where Helen is sick.
June 11, 2013
I really like Jennifer Westfeldt's writing style and the neurotic characters she plays. This movie helps affirm what I've always believed in - love is a spectrum.
April 18, 2013
it annoyed me that the girl ended up with the chauvinist man. the main character did my head in and so did the pushy Jewish mothers. drop kick them all!
April 11, 2013
Not bad but not great
April 11, 2013
The cast is wonderful and the story is commendably free of the sectarian us-versus-them tone of many romantic gay movies.