Krush Groove Reviews

• Apr 26, 2017

the story sucks but the music is great. My favourite part is the fat boys

the story sucks but the music is great. My favourite part is the fat boys

• Apr 22, 2015

I think God is testing you. Russell Simmons is the son of a preacher that dropped out of college his final year before graduating. He has since been working to make albums and start his own label, Def Jam. Meanwhile, as he struggles, he begins losing his artists to his competitors. Can Russell turn his luck around? "You never heard of us, The Disco Three?" Michael Schultz, director of The Last Dragon, Cooley High, Car Wash (1976), Disorderlies, Killers in the House, Tarzan in Manhattan, and Greased Lightening, delivers Krush Grove. The storyline for this picture is entertaining and unfolds well. The characters are dynamic and well written and the cast delivers better than average performances. The cast includes Blair Underwood, Run DMC, New Edition, Curtis Blow, and the Fast Boys. "We're the fat boys who like food." I came across this on HBOGO and knew I needed to see this all time classic. The movie isn't perfect but it does give an interesting glimpse back in a key time in the development of hip hop music as we know it. This was a very entertaining film and a great take on Russell Simmons. "A hit record is the worst thing that could have happened to us." Grade: B-

• May 08, 2013

All musicians involved were pivotal characters in making hip hop what it is today. Acting is not particularly in most of the characters resumes so almost all are amateurly skilled. For hip hip fans it shows two different stories of the ups and downs of the art of rap. The Fat Boys are a very funny powerhouse but other demensions of the film take itself way to seriously. Has interesting aspects of a musical, not the greatest way to execute a 'hip-hopera'.

• Mar 06, 2013

phenomenal musical performances by all acts involved. abysmal in terms of acting, story, editing, and dialogue, but worth checking out for the music and the atmosphere- the raw energy of the musical performances radiates off the screen.

• Feb 03, 2013

Movie night with Iris. Yes Iris you will enjoy this. It's the birth of Hip hop, it is history. God this is dated. There is no plot at all. It is basically Run-DMC and The Fat Boys doing some tracks and Sheila E has popped along but left Prince with the car running outside. But you get to marvel at Kurtis Blow's hair and Rick Rubin's appalling acting. Plus there's cameos from the Beastie Boys and LL Cool J. Hurrah, i loved it.

• Dec 30, 2012

Classic Hip/Hop movie..

Classic Hip/Hop movie..

• Sep 23, 2012

The classic hip hop artists! The music! The jheri curls! It is the story of Russell Simmons and the beginnings of Def Jam Recordings, and it is pretty entertaining. You get to see a lot of the artists that helped turn rap into the popular genre it became. The main focus is on Run-DMC, The Fat Boys, Sheila E., and Kurtis Blow, but you get to see glimpses of some others like New Edition and The Beastie Boys...and Rick Rubin plaing himself! Blair Underwood is decent in the lead as Russel Walker, based on Russel Simmons (no clue why his name is changed). The movie is pretty good actually, if only for the music...but the true story behind it all is interesting, even if it isn't really told all that well within the film (it is told okay, but there are some script problems). If you want a taste of the history of rap music, definitely give this a look.

• Sep 17, 2012

I wish i can see this movie because it has singing and dancing in it. I rate this movie 9

• May 01, 2012

A barely discernible plot holds this historical piece together (I mean, there is little difference between it and a lot of rushed rock-n-roll movies of the 1950s) but so worth watching for all of the early hip-hop stars in performance: Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Kurtis Blow, LL Cool J. Some really electric moments from a generation of music artists we should work harder to remember.

• Apr 07, 2012

This movie is the best!!!

This movie is the best!!!