Kung Fu Hustle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kung Fu Hustle Reviews

jamrcla
August 10, 2017
Abit weird but enjoyable and funny, With some great martial arts and effects thrown in, It's wacky and wonderful and if you're a fan of martial arts films then you will either love it or hate it depending on if you have a sense of humour.
August 1, 2017
Kung Fu Hustle is a work of art. Hands down.
July 31, 2017
every time this movie comes on i watch it I love this movie
May 23, 2017
was very funny and intresting
May 15, 2017
La película entera está en cámara lenta?
April 28, 2017
4/23/2017 (2): Meh. Maybe a couple funny moments but that was really it.
April 12, 2017
Yes, it's funny, irreverent, even charming at times, but Kung Fu Hustle's novelty is spent in the first half of the film. The remainder is rather torturously drawn out and monotonous.
March 5, 2017
Loved this... one of my favorite kung fu movies as well as a great comedy... its over the topness is it best feature....also very stylish in its own way...like way cool
January 30, 2017
viewed on 23/12/04 (Thurs)

Dear Mr Stephen Chow,

Hullo. I am Ah Beng from Singapore. I live in Sengkang with a dog and my hobbies are watching movies, listening to songs and sufing the net.

Aiya, I long time never write letter liao la. So I cut the crap and tell you how I feel after watching KFH, Ok?

Bro, (hope you don't mind, I really respect you now), I like your KFH very much, you know? Two words, damn good!

I don't know how to say la but many parts very good la.

A, bro. I got one thing I must say hor. You better not get angry huh. All in the past liao la. I dun like your mo lei tau movies. Funny la but kinda damn stupid. My friend said your Shaolin Soccer very good but I not interested la. Then I watch it in Taiwan and I like it so much. Funny la but also very, what you call, heartwarming la. Nice leh. So when your KFH coming, I excited liao. Saw the trailer, not bad leh, I laugh loudly. The story also cute leh. You want to be bad guy in this town of losers. You want to bully them but actually they all know to fight one. Haaa...

I go see because I like Shaolin Soccer and I got a good feeling for KFH lor. I just want to enjoy a good comedy la. But wow piang. Actually KFH is more than a good comedy lor. It is also very heartwarming la. Then some parts actually very touching. Many parts are funny la but the kind of funny is a bit different lor. Not just some stupid things la but got some sense in it.

I don't know how to say properly la but I try ok.

Ok, the first part got people die and I think, wow, a bit scary leh. Not your style. Your movies got people die until so sad meh. I tell myself hor, wow, not bad, you change style. Then I know you want to be serious this time but still keep your style.

You come out as a funny loser. Haaa... still like the part you want to bully the village people but all of them maciam can fight one, like that aunty, the muscular ah pek and little boy.

Some parts can make me feel angry, like the axe gang bully the village people. Too much la. Then got good people help beat the axe gang until all cannot stand up. Wow. Shiok! Feel good man. I want to cheer man but pai seh la.

I notice something also. The music you use very familiar. I think you want to respect the old kungfu shows so you use their music, right? I like. Actually some parts you also recycle one la from the old movies. Like the bad guy always go bully people and we liao very angry. Got heroes that can fight very well but they want to keep low profile so never want to let people. Then got one loser who wants to be hero but ends up like a clown. Then wow those people got powers one also from the old kungfu shows lor. Got can play the guitar thing and kill people one, can shout until people go deaf one, got one can catch bullets one and can never die one and got ru lai shen zhang! Haaa... outdated la but your version still very very stylo lor.

I can also see there is a message in your movie. Justice will always prevail (new word I learn one). Evil cannot beat good. Nothing new la but still make people want to stand up and cheer out loud!

Your love story about that lollipop very touching too. I almost cry, you know. I mean also outdated la but your version still very sad. The girl damn chio man. Called Huang Sheng Yi. From China one? Wow lao, I think next year must call my parents bring me to China.

I think got alot of people sure say your movie copycat but I don't think so la. You are trying to pay respect to the old kungfu shows. You know like renovate la. Something old but you make it something new. Aiya, I don't know how to say. You know what I mean right. Makeover! Yes like makeover lor. The special effects are very very good. Exaggerated la but, like what someone says, capture the imagination of the kungfu fans. Cheam right? :)

You also supposedly use people from the old kungfu movies time. That is how I also know you want to pay respect to them. All got high profiles last time one. Like the landlord, his wife, the beast and the tailor. Well done!

Bro! You did a good job. Not only you let other people laugh and have a good time, you also want to bring back the spirit of old kungfu shows. Not only the ang moh will know more about our culture, you also let our generation appreciate our roots and heritage.

Bro, I salute you! I put your movie the best show la. Very give you face liao. Make sure your next movie must maintain high standard, ok? If not I ka cha you. Hee... just joking la.

Your fan
Adrian Tan Ah Beng :P

Rating: A+
December 30, 2016
Fun, cool, exciting and dark this movie is a great time to watch.
November 26, 2016
Le scene d'azione sono molto divertenti e intrattengono senza problemi. Il suo umorismo molto particolare lo rende uno dei film più strani che io abbia mai visto, viste le situazioni paradossali e assurde che si vengono a creare. Anche se porta poche risate, il film comunque merita una piena sufficienza per il suo stile unico ed inimitabile.
November 19, 2016
Just when I thought that special effects had no business in a comedy, Kung Fu Hustle came along. This movie is definitely a future classic.
½ November 18, 2016
If it's your cup of tea, then you will like this movie.
October 12, 2016
The fight scenes are very over the top but so well done that they are amazing.
October 8, 2016
Kung Fu Hustle is a action, comedy, romance, crime masterpiece full of wonder and over-the-top stuff that leads to a thrilling, if not cartoony nature
October 4, 2016
Kung Fu Hustle boasts great action scenes and wonderful special effects, and pairs it up with some hilarious moments and jokes to make a truly memorable movie. The actors were all pretty good, but nobody stood out to me, although it was difficult to judge because of the different language, so that really a minor point. The stunt work was incredible and very fun to look at. The plot is alright, though uneven at times, some story elements felt out of place but others were outrageously funny. I had a good time with King Fu Hustle, that is for sure though, it may be zany and confusing at times, but it provides enough fun and excitement to be a memorable film
½ September 30, 2016
Seamlessly blending martial arts action with slapstick comedy, Kung Fu Hustle is a spoof of the genre but also a great movie on its own terms. In 1930's Shanghai, the notorious Axe Gang is on a rampage and controls most of the city. A bumbling wannabe sets up an incident with the gang and a gated community full of retired martial arts masters, and that's when the fists start flying.

The real reason why the film works is because at its core, the story is really good. Stephen Chow is barely in the movie at the start, and they develop the powerful masters and the Axe Gang first. Through a small flashback, we get why the bumbling fool of the hero is trying to be a villain, and it sets up quite nicely for later.

When I first watched this movie, I wasn't the biggest martial arts fan. Now after another viewing, I can recognize many cameos and wonderful little nods to the genre, and am able to really appreciate this fun and breezy love letter homage to martial arts movies. Besides the funny bits, there is a real emotional core and serious side, and it makes for one of the best films of all time.
½ September 17, 2016
I loved it. Amazing cinematography! Overdubs were impressive. Just everything great about Asian films. Funny, heart warming, great fight scenes.
August 19, 2016
Has to be one of the best Kung Fu movies ever made! The plot in this film is similar to any other movie in the genre, but the fight scenes and humor included are really what set it apart. This film is entertaining from beginning to end and I highly recommend it whether you like the genre or not.
½ August 1, 2016
"ACTION-PACKED | EXHILARATING | HILARIOUS | SUPER-SONIC SLAPSTICK" (92-out-of-100)