Kung Fu Hustle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kung Fu Hustle Reviews

½ May 14, 2018
With another fantastic combination of martial arts, nonsensical humor and cartoonish special effects, Stephen Chow's follow-up to Shaolin Soccer may not be as incessantly hilarious as that film but is an amazing entertainment for those who love great fight scenes and surprises.
½ May 11, 2018
In opting for Kung Fu Hustle, I was hoping to be transported back to those days of the early 1990s when I first discovered Hong Kong cinema (Jacky Chan, at first, but then Chow Yun Fat and Jet Li). But I guess you can't go home again. Technology has removed the wires that some stars (but not Jacky) formerly used to deliver flying kicks, replacing them with CGI miracles. I never was a big fan of CGI. However, I have to say that director and star Stephen Chow seems to have realised that the only way to use it is boldly, brashly, and in the most cartoonish way possible; in other words, what we have here is a Chuck Jones short populated by actual humans. And that makes all the difference. The plot is as zany as you would guess from that description. Chow and his partner Tze Chung Lam pretend that they are part of the Axe Gang in order to try to squeeze money out of a poor community - however, they are quickly challenged by the real Axe Gang who, to their chagrin, discover that there are three aging kung fu masters retired in the town. Or maybe there are four kung fu masters. Or perhaps five. Things do get out of hand (especially when the Axe Gang bring in some notorious ringers to combat them). There are some well choreographed and over-the-top fight scenes (directed by Woo-Ping Yuen and Sammo Kam-Bo Hung, both immensely famous in their own rights) and some silly or slapstick comedy. Things do get bloody as well (so this isn't for kids). Yet for all those things that Kung Fu Hustle gets right, I still felt a hankering for the old school.
May 8, 2018
One of the most awesome movies ever! Intentionally slapstick, its comedy + excellent professional martial arts showcase and effects still puts audiences in awe. Stephen Chow is a creative genius. Watched it four times and will watch it again. Only a pretentious stuck-up snob wouldn't appreciate this.
February 27, 2018
This has to be the best of all time Kung Fu movies.
February 18, 2018
Funny, Epic and Very Good Effects. :)
February 9, 2018
Hilarious! One of my favorite movies of all time. Genuinely made me laugh myself to tears even on rewatch!
February 2, 2018
I cannot describe why I enjoyed this film but I actually really enjoyed it lol.
½ January 11, 2018
There's a reason why Stephen Chow made a hell of a powerhouse in the Chinese film industry. He blends the great wire work of modern kung fu movies of the new millennium with the cartoon feeling of Looney Tunes. It uses its Hollywood references carefully, within its style and not its substance. And like in good martial arts movies, the fight escalates within every increase of skill until we see the ultimate power unleashed. It's a great martial arts comedy that knows its shtick.
½ November 28, 2017
7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 = 70
November 20, 2017
A hilariously fun movie that does a lot more than Kung Fu action.
September 26, 2017
viewed on 23/12/04 (Thurs)

Dear Mr Stephen Chow,

Hullo. I am Ah Beng from Singapore. I live in Sengkang with a dog and my hobbies are watching movies, listening to songs and sufing the net.

Aiya, I long time never write letter liao la. So I cut the crap and tell you how I feel after watching KFH, Ok?

Bro, (hope you don't mind, I really respect you now), I like your KFH very much, you know? Two words, damn good!

I don't know how to say la but many parts very good la.

A, bro. I got one thing I must say hor. You better not get angry huh. All in the past liao la. I dun like your mo lei tau movies. Funny la but kinda damn stupid. My friend said your Shaolin Soccer very good but I not interested la. Then I watch it in Taiwan and I like it so much. Funny la but also very, what you call, heartwarming la. Nice leh. So when your KFH coming, I excited liao. Saw the trailer, not bad leh, I laugh loudly. The story also cute leh. You want to be bad guy in this town of losers. You want to bully them but actually they all know to fight one. Haaa...

I go see because I like Shaolin Soccer and I got a good feeling for KFH lor. I just want to enjoy a good comedy la. But wow piang. Actually KFH is more than a good comedy lor. It is also very heartwarming la. Then some parts actually very touching. Many parts are funny la but the kind of funny is a bit different lor. Not just some stupid things la but got some sense in it.

I don't know how to say properly la but I try ok.

Ok, the first part got people die and I think, wow, a bit scary leh. Not your style. Your movies got people die until so sad meh. I tell myself hor, wow, not bad, you change style. Then I know you want to be serious this time but still keep your style.

You come out as a funny loser. Haaa... still like the part you want to bully the village people but all of them maciam can fight one, like that aunty, the muscular ah pek and little boy.

Some parts can make me feel angry, like the axe gang bully the village people. Too much la. Then got good people help beat the axe gang until all cannot stand up. Wow. Shiok! Feel good man. I want to cheer man but pai seh la.

I notice something also. The music you use very familiar. I think you want to respect the old kungfu shows so you use their music, right? I like. Actually some parts you also recycle one la from the old movies. Like the bad guy always go bully people and we liao very angry. Got heroes that can fight very well but they want to keep low profile so never want to let people. Then got one loser who wants to be hero but ends up like a clown. Then wow those people got powers one also from the old kungfu shows lor. Got can play the guitar thing and kill people one, can shout until people go deaf one, got one can catch bullets one and can never die one and got ru lai shen zhang! Haaa... outdated la but your version still very very stylo lor.

I can also see there is a message in your movie. Justice will always prevail (new word I learn one). Evil cannot beat good. Nothing new la but still make people want to stand up and cheer out loud!

Your love story about that lollipop very touching too. I almost cry, you know. I mean also outdated la but your version still very sad. The girl damn chio man. Called Huang Sheng Yi. From China one? Wow lao, I think next year must call my parents bring me to China.

I think got alot of people sure say your movie copycat but I don't think so la. You are trying to pay respect to the old kungfu shows. You know like renovate la. Something old but you make it something new. Aiya, I don't know how to say. You know what I mean right. Makeover! Yes like makeover lor. The special effects are very very good. Exaggerated la but, like what someone says, capture the imagination of the kungfu fans. Cheam right? :)

You also supposedly use people from the old kungfu movies time. That is how I also know you want to pay respect to them. All got high profiles last time one. Like the landlord, his wife, the beast and the tailor. Well done!

Bro! You did a good job. Not only you let other people laugh and have a good time, you also want to bring back the spirit of old kungfu shows. Not only the ang moh will know more about our culture, you also let our generation appreciate our roots and heritage.

Bro, I salute you! I put your movie the best show la. Very give you face liao. Make sure your next movie must maintain high standard, ok? If not I ka cha you. Hee... just joking la.

Your fan
Adrian Tan Ah Beng :P

Rating: A+
jamrcla
August 10, 2017
Abit weird but enjoyable and funny, With some great martial arts and effects thrown in, It's wacky and wonderful and if you're a fan of martial arts films then you will either love it or hate it depending on if you have a sense of humour.
August 1, 2017
Kung Fu Hustle is a work of art. Hands down.
July 31, 2017
every time this movie comes on i watch it I love this movie
May 23, 2017
was very funny and intresting
May 15, 2017
La película entera está en cámara lenta?
April 28, 2017
4/23/2017 (2): Meh. Maybe a couple funny moments but that was really it.
April 12, 2017
Yes, it's funny, irreverent, even charming at times, but Kung Fu Hustle's novelty is spent in the first half of the film. The remainder is rather torturously drawn out and monotonous.
March 5, 2017
Loved this... one of my favorite kung fu movies as well as a great comedy... its over the topness is it best feature....also very stylish in its own way...like way cool
December 30, 2016
Fun, cool, exciting and dark this movie is a great time to watch.