La Petite Lili Reviews

• Aug 25, 2013

This is a good film, very much in the French style--the middle class family in a chateau with gorgeous surrounds and witty insightful conversation.

• Aug 16, 2012

Definitely not "Swimming Pool"

Definitely not "Swimming Pool"

• Jan 30, 2011

It's a film where everyone concerned obsesses to one degree or another over the films of a newcomer. Trouble is, there's no real evidence that anyone should be. What's worse is that all the hullabaloo over Art and the Meaning of It All is tiresome and pretentious.

• Dec 06, 2010

Pretentious and too long. Tries to say something meaningful about relationships but ends up being as shallow as its characters.

• Apr 05, 2010

If you can ignore the 'staginess' of the film, it becomes a rather delightful little story. It's the classic film within in a film structure about a guy who has a mad crush on a girl, makes a film about it...Of course its about more than making a film -- it's about the truths, lies and pretension both on and off the screen, and finding authenticity somewhere in between. And speaking of crushes, I'm not ashamed to admit I have a fourth wall crush on Ludivine Sagnier. This film exhibits one of her better performances, and I would say saves the film from becoming a self-reflective, pretentious, and heartless affair. Julie Depardieu, whom I also enjoy, brings a strong, earthly reality to the story, a nice contrast to Sagnier's etherealness.

• Aug 08, 2009

Considering the great actors involved in this film, such as Ludivine Sagnier, Julie Depardieu and Nicole Garcia, it could have been better.

• May 12, 2009

Unlike one review I read, I thought the film started out quite slowly and got more interesting as it went along. The characters were covered with some depth, but overall I didn't find quite enough to make watching too worthwhile.

• Mar 09, 2009

Interesting and well made movie.....

Interesting and well made movie.....

Mark A Super Reviewer
    Oct 25, 2008

Quite an entertaining tale of a young girl taking advantage of what is before her to launch a career in film. There are scars, and hearts are broken, but life goes on. One time lovers Lili (Ludivine Sagnier) and Julien (Robinson Stevenin) collaborate on a short film that gets her noticed by Julien's mother's lover, a french movie director, Brice (Bernard Girardeau). Lili leaves with the older man and thereby becomes a star. When she finds out that Julien is making a film about the events of that summer, she angles for the part to play herself. Will the former lovers be able to set aside past hurts, or will the memory of old wounds open new rifts? On this the film hinges. Lots of lovely scenery, including a fully nude Sagnier early on, but a clear winner with or without it. Touching story that felt honest in the company of people to whom honesty is not seen as a virtue.

• Sep 14, 2008

Un film assez intéressant, d'après une adaptation de La Mouette d'Anton Chekhov. Les acteurs sont très bons. Cependant, j'ai trouvé que le scénario ne développait pas assez l'histoire, qui finit par tourner en rond. Pas une perle, mais tout de même une jolie découverte!