Labor Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Labor Day Reviews

September 19, 2016
Romance hyper cheesy (remplacez la scène de poterie de Mon fantôme d'amour par la confection d'une tarte aux pommes à deux), mais vraiment, pas aussi mauvais que le score RT semble l'indiquer
½ May 29, 2016
"They can't rescue Labor Day from the pallid melodrama of its exceedingly ill-advised plot"? Excuse me? I see many, first of all, complaining about this being too sentimental. Have you ever seen people in love? Yeah, it gets just like what we see here in Labor Day. Personally, I was captivated throughout. I knew nothing of the film before I put it on, as I like to do. It keeps things fresh and creates better perspective. Shortly after Frank Chambers, Brolin, forces Adele to help him escape, you just know there's something different about this "dangerous criminal." And as the plot develops, Frank showing his appreciation for Adele taking him in, albeit forced, it just gets more and more intriguing. Frank fixes the car, washes the floor, gardens, bakes pies, you name it. For one, this is a new plot twist on me. "Ill-advised"? Come off it ya stuffed shirts. I also loved the interaction between Frank and Adele, two people both in GREAT need of someone gentle and caring. I'm not sure if some find the plot a bit of a stretch, but I can tell you some true life stories that will make this one look ridiculously pedestrian. I was captured from the outset and held throughout the movie as we got a real dose of what it means to be a man: attentive, gentle, considerate, sacrificing, honorable, and courageous. Now is that all so bad, my cranky critics? I think not.
May 8, 2016
Superb performances by the cast - especially by Kate Winslet, whose performance is tear-jerking.
March 28, 2016
Very good story line
March 28, 2016
I enjoyed it for what it was worth. Are we sure the script was written by Nicholas Sparks, because that's certainly the vibe that I was getting!
March 25, 2016
The critics can blow me again! The movie is very good and just because somebody does not like drama and depression it does not mean they can label it as a bad thing.
½ March 19, 2016
Sadly Labor Day is a disappointment. Half home invasion thriller half romance. The performances are good and starts off decent but the romance isn't believable especially when you consider it takes place only over a few days. The script just isn't there.
March 15, 2016
Brilliant casting, music, directing, story. Can't fault it. Found it very moving, one of the first movies i've cried at but ended up smiling. Can't recommend enough.
February 9, 2016
The actors in this film were brilliant, Kate winslet was awesome as usual. Wasn't expecting it 2 end like tat, but really enjoyed it!!
February 6, 2016
As predictable as it was, it managed to pull on enough heart strings to make it worthwhile.
February 4, 2016
Outstanding, emotional, music, acting, MASTERPIECE!
January 6, 2016
This was much better than I was expecting, with an awesome surprise ending that had me more excited than it probably should have. It did seem a little slow and I would have expected it to be boring, but it never was and totally kept our interest. A very nice surprise.
January 3, 2016
I chose to believe in the magic of this couple.
½ December 31, 2015
I assume a hell of a lot wondering who the hell are there CRITICS ? Such negative comments on a such beautiful movie and they will praise a shithole on their socks up !
December 29, 2015
I loved this film. Almost gave it five stars (which I rarely do), all because it took me emotionally and intellectually on a journey to places that reveal the complexities and ironies of the human condition. And to think that I almost skipped it based on the negative reviews from this popular site. What I've come to realize lately is that too many "reviewers" these days feel as if the only way they can gain credibility with their reviews is by purposely working hard to identify every flaw and shortcoming in every movie they watch. I swear that most of the reviews I read sounded more like rehashed versions on top professional movie critics than reflections born of genuine personal insights. It's as if the largest percentage of reviews on this site are motivated by a secret desire to be hired as a professional movie critic. I need to find another review site, as I have lost faith in the integrity of this one. It's just gotten it wrong too many times at this point. Any suggestions?
November 18, 2015
I doubt that anyone will be surprised to hear that the book is much better than the film. Yet, even with the many changes brought about by writer/director Jason Reitman, it is still an incredibly interesting story about complex characters and what it means to really trust someone with your love.

I really disagreed with the casting of Josh Brolin as Frank. To me, Frank was more of a brutish man in appearance; making his domesticity even more of a contrast. I pictured a sort-of Vin Diesel when reading the novel. Kate Winslet, on the other hand, was perfect for the role of Adele. She has that ability to be both plain and beautiful, both ordinary or extraordinary; as we saw in The Reader.

The critics accuse the film of being "slow-paced" and "going nowhere". For a novel like this, where much of the "action" is inside the head of a teenage boy, it lies with the director to bring it all to life. Though Reitman has definitely shown talent before, he didn't hit his stride with this one. If I had watched the film before reading the book, I wouldn't have bothered; I would have walked away a contented viewer, but I would never have engaged with the story the way I did with Maynard's text.
November 6, 2015
I really enjoyed. The end did become slightly confusing however it's a recommended watch.
November 4, 2015
One of the most unrealistic movies I have ever seen!
November 4, 2015
moving story compelling movie. Winslet and Brolin are excellent in their respective rolls
½ October 26, 2015
Standardno sjajna drama sa sjajnom kejt vinslet.