Ladies in Black Reviews

• Apr 27, 2019

Ladies in Black (2018) #MovieReview 3,0 �� As estórias de mulheres que trabalham em uma loja de departamentos na Austrália. Filme romântico, fofinho como pão de ló e cafà (C) da tarde, bem Sessão da Tarde.

• Apr 27, 2019

Really enjoyed this charming film. I felt transported to the period and the locale. The characters were all very well played, especially Lisa and her mom, Faye, Rudy, and of course Julie Ormond as Magda. I recommend it to anyone who appreciates period drama and romantic, sentimental films.

• Apr 26, 2019

Might not look like a Christmas story because of the setting and the good weather, but "Ladies in Black" is indeed a Christmas story. Is light-hearted and simple and soft and... yes, a decent movie. Costumes and settings are great, but the story doesn't have any depth at all! So let's take out the word "Drama" in de description and watch it with your teenager daughter, and all will be hunky dory, but don't expect much more than that!

• Mar 24, 2019

loved this beautiful Australian film.

loved this beautiful Australian film.

• Mar 12, 2019

Ladies in Black is a 2018 Australian comedy-drama film directed by Bruce Beresford. This is a simple story from 1959 Sydney, featuring appropriate period settings and costumes. It flows along without having any real substance to it, and while ultimately forgettable, it is a pleasant movie to watch. AACTAN

• Feb 02, 2019

Want a fun nostalgia move with beautiful scenery, dresses and actors? This is your perfect escapist movie. And there is nothing wrong with that.

• Jan 15, 2019

Reminded me of going to The Store with my Nan. We dressed up in our best and everything was so posh! Delightful movie, really enjoyed it

• Jan 11, 2019

Great memories of hw Sydney was when I was a little girl.

Great memories of hw Sydney was when I was a little girl.

• Nov 27, 2018

I leave the cinema feeling like my insides have been scrubbed across a washboard with a yellow cake of sunlight soap. Very sweet moments but an ulimately facile storyline and too many red-herring character angles which lead nowhere - for example the woman with the strange absentee husband who returned and suddenly all was forgiven. The overwhelming rage she demonstrated after him just heading off for a few months without telling her, fixed with a good root and everything now hunky-dory. What was this particular plotline meant to show us? The utter plonkiness of the Australian Male who is so hopeless withi his feelings that he just goes walkabout rather than talk to his wife? Well maybe this wasn't too far from the truth, but it was handled clumsily and without any sympathy for the bloke in question, he just looked brain dead. The young ingenue Lisa is the main character, or plot device - this is a coming of age story about both Australia in the 1950s as 'Wog' food is making its tentative way into Australian society, and the young ingenue Lisa is positively influenced by a Wog mentor, brought to the bosom of immigrant Hungarians/ Easgtern Europeans struggling with the uncouth Australian ugliness. Not to mention that these Wogs have found the most beautiful places of Sydney to live in as compensation (Mosman etc). Through them, Lisa is explosed to the intellectual life of literature, music - a littany of cliches about high culture. The concept is bluntly but aptly put. Australian acting Golds Noni Hazelhurst, Shane Plumber and Susy Porter are dumbed down to play second fiddle to a mostly mute but radiantly gorgeous young Lisa. It's a shame the whole lot was airbrushed in a most glib fashion, to merely observe set pieces rather than delve into anything of very much depth. All in all this film was OK

• Nov 22, 2018