The Last Broadcast - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Broadcast Reviews

½ October 18, 2018
Any comparisons between this and The Blair Witch Project are ridiculous. This is not scary at all and constantly feels like a low budget mess. The acting is noticeably bad which doesn't help.
June 20, 2016
No stars. 50%? THIS film? This is a 0% film if I've ever seen it. For one, it doesn't help that a little film called "The Blair Witch Project" came out a year later after this thing had been long forgotten and ended up becoming a worldwide, often-imitated-never-duplicated box office smash and benchmark in horror filmmaking. You might think it wouldn't be fair to compare the two, but all one needs to do is look at the films and see the staggering differences in quality.
First of all...the acting in this film is completely terrible. The cast is largely amateurs, and boy does it show. Amateur actors doesn't always equal "bad movie." But in this case it's problem #1.
Second, the presentation is atrocious. The finished project seems like a project for a high school AV class and not a film meant for mass consumption.
Third...this is called a horror movie, but I couldn't for the life of me see where the scares were supposed to be. I've seen more bad horror movies than I could ever count, and even in those films where it's so awful you can't be scared at it ("Manos: The Hands Of Fate," for instance) you can at least TELL where you were supposed to be frightened. I was not frightened by this film because it almost seems like they forgot they were supposed to be making a horror film. I can't tell what was supposed to be scary about any of it. The closest we get is the Jim guy throwing a hissy fit and stomping away from the rest of the crew while they're out in the woods trying to find the Jersey Devil. The film, which takes on a police procedural "after the fact" mockumentary angle, claims that THIS is the moment where Jim went mad before killing everybody. Looked more like a little kid at Wal-Mart mad at his Mom because she wouldn't let him buy a chocolate bar. Was THIS supposed to be a scary part? Didn't look like one at all.
In short, just don't bother. You don't need to see this film ever for any reason. No matter if you're a die hard horror fan or interested in the legend of the Jersey Devil (if you care to see a GOOD film about ol' JD, check out "Satan's Playground.") This clumsy garbage deserves it's rightful place in found footage obscurity (where a LOT of post "Blair Witch" films are going nowadays. Sign of the times.)
August 16, 2015
*extensive fart noises*
½ July 31, 2015
Creepy in parts, and easy to draw ties with the Blair witch project - then you see this came out first.
½ July 30, 2015
I found myself hyped and waiting for something that never came.
May 23, 2015
It was actually a decent concept with a good twist. I thought it made more sense than The Blair Witch Project, which is a contemporary.
½ January 13, 2015
This movie starts with so much promise, but about 1/3 of the way in, it starts circling around the same points over and over, and the ending, which is somewhat predictable, takes the viewer out of the movie completely.
½ September 2, 2014
As a movie made in 1998, that was fine work but the end just killed it :(
July 24, 2014
I watched this in high school after The Blair Witch Project came out. Though it's an independent, low budget movie, it's really ahead of it's time. The found footage genre is all over the place today, and this and Blair Witch layer the groundwork. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and this isn't my favorite example from the genre, but it's worth giving a look.
½ July 13, 2014
love this film- apart from the stupid as hell ending
½ June 27, 2014
not bad with an ending im still not sure about
½ March 24, 2014
The grand-daddy of found-footage horror that is also the first in a long line to completely ruin the experience by a retarded ending. The comparisons to Blair Witch are inevitable given the setting, but it is nowhere near as good as that. I was with this one until the ending which negated the entire film and even swapped pov; which completely cheats and makes no sense!
June 28, 2013
I actually enjoyed this film a lot, and it scared me a lot too. The ending was annoying, but the overall atmosphere throughout the film with the monotone narrator made it effective. I'm surprised most people prefer The Blair Witch Project.
June 27, 2013
Why this film is considered to be among the best horror films in recent history is beyond me. TLB is a never scary movie filled with bored actors and a predictable plot that builds to one of the worst plot twists in any movie ever.
May 27, 2013
Awesome until the end.
April 8, 2013
"The Last Broadcast" is a (mostly) found-footage/pseudo-documentary film that explores the problem of trying to separate "fact" from "fiction" in the media age. Predating "The Blair Witch Project", the film is also stronger than that more famous film in that the form relates to the theme.
March 27, 2013
I might have to revisit this one shortly, it is roughly ten years since I saw it yet somehow it has slipped my flixster-net. It traded off the success of The Blair Witch Project but rather than a 'found footage' classic it feels a bit more like one of those late-night supernatural 'documentaries' that you find on cable TV. It has merit though.
May 31, 2012
Saw this movie around the time The Blair Witch came out. For my money The Last Broadcast (with the exception of the last few minutes) is a far superior film to Blair Witch. I had no idea that it was all fake until the very end. For it's time the plot device of using the internet as part of what lured the film crew into the barrens was a novel and relatively new idea. Very original, highly recommended.
Ryan M
½ May 3, 2012
** out of ****

It's the upper end of the 1990's, and a film crew that works exclusively for New Jersey-based reality television program "Fact or Fiction" is hitting rock bottom. After a strong start, the founders are facing what looks to be cancellation and bankruptcy. They've simply ran out of good ideas, or anything to talk about at all; and when it seems like they've finally settled on a single, good idea, everything just falls apart on the spot. Then, out of the blue, comes an answer to their prayers; a brilliant young man named Jim Suerd, who claims to be quite experienced with the sort of paranormal phenomena and psychic activity that tends to attract the majority of the program's audience. Jim calls into the show one day and suggests that they do an extensive coverage of the Pine Barrens - indeed located in South Jersey - and the legend of The Jersey Devil, a mythological creature and landmark in historical cryptozoology. Intrigued by this idea and how it might revive the show, the members of the crew agree to travel to the Barrens - with Jim - and return with some spooky footage.

After a few days, only Jim had returned from the expedition. Everyone else was found murdered in brutally stylistic fashion, mutilated perhaps beyond comprehension. It seemed quite possible that Jim could have committed the crimes, but there are little details that create this looming aura of doubt. This is what drives the film - which opens after the events that were recorded on-camera have been filmed -, what gives it an overall purpose, and what makes it such a goddamn disappointment by the end. We learn that Jim was taken to court and imprisoned; dying only a few days after being locked up, under mysterious circumstances. This was just the beginning of what made for a rather perplexing downwards spiral of psychological proportions; and after a seemingly endless stream of interviews with loved ones and friends (in the form of his personal psychiatrist), it becomes clear that Jim might not be the killer of the crew after all.

I wanted to believe that it was the Jersey Devil all along. Paranormal phenomena and cryptozoology are two things that I've loved since my early days of childhood; which is why it's so devastating to see such ideas wasted in a bland - if not entertaining - waste of time such as this. Perhaps "The Last Broadcast" would have been effective if it didn't have such a bullshit logical explanation for everything. Throughout, I found myself on the edge of disbelief and intrigue; and by the time the credits had started rolling, I was beyond pissed. What was the point of building up so much if they had intended to do so little all along? Was it supposed to be scary, suspenseful, or ominous; because the twist makes it so it isn't either of the three. I won't spoil too much, since this seems to be the kind of movie that different people react differently too (appropriately enough); but all I know is that the twist ruined everything for me just as it did for others.

And think of it; I'm not the kind of guy who is easily angered by crappy twist endings. I think they can serve a purpose. Take, for instance, the film that this one is being constantly compared to; "The Blair Witch Project". To this day, I find that film absolutely brilliant in how it manipulates the audience's emotions with its realistic set-up, and finally fries our nerves with the chilling and ambiguous finale. I wanted "The Last Broadcast" to go in a similar direction - ending aside - but it took the exact opposite route and instead ends up falling flat on its stupid face. It is not, alas, a bad movie - regardless of the obvious technical shortcomings (the digital video that the film was shot on is almost proudly crappy, and this is far from a pretty looking film) - but it is still a maddeningly unsatisfying one. It's one that I wanted so much to love, but just could not. One of my rules of movie-watching is that if one ever has extensive periods of doubt in regards to the film's quality, then it cannot be called good. This could be certainly be said for "The Last Broadcast", which I liked in some instances more than I did in others.

What can I say? For a movie that sets itself up to feel absolutely authentic and real, "The Last Broadcast" still feels pretty damn fake. It never captures the documentary feel that it's going for all along, you never really invest in the characters no matter how much time you're forced to spend with them, and the pacing is just so damn uneven. Also, near the end, the thing takes a hokey philosophical detour, asking us to think for ourselves on just who or what the Jersey Devil really is (it is implied throughout the film that it could have been either Jim or the Jersey Devil itself who committed the grisly crimes). I've already expressed my most extreme complaints, but as of now, they are getting in the way of everything I saw, felt, or heard in regards to this film. This is not a particularly good sensation. With a bit of luck and time, perhaps these feelings will disappear with the memories of this movie. Wouldn't that be nice?
February 1, 2012
A tremendously effective and eerie two-thirds of a film. It is totally marred by as ill-conceived an ending as I've seen a while; it completely destroyed my sense of goodwill towards the film, so infuriatingly handled is the denouement. Very disappointing, given that the early sections do a damn fine job (given the film's ultra low budget) of generating real unease.