The Last Detail - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Detail Reviews

November 17, 2017
not the most eventful film but a good watch anyway, i like jack nicholson
August 23, 2017
Good movie about two navy military policemen who are escorting a third across country to put him in prison. Funny irony since the kid criminal is the shyest kid there is, and he doesn't deserve it. That he is so shy is why the two MP's decide to show him the world and teach him how to be a man. Jack Nicholson vehicle and he carries the movie.
June 4, 2017
Wonderful performances. But lets be real. This is Jack playing the same character yet again. I admit I am fairly numb to this snide, foul mouthed, likeable ass persona. Definitive early 70's New Hollywood. Brilliant at times but also easy to see why we got over it so quickly. These few years are frequently called the greatest in American film making. That is very debatable given the work of previous directors and styles from Ford, Stevens, Wilder, Hitchcock, etc....whose work is far more enduring.
March 27, 2017
"The Last Detail" is bleak and unwavering in the portrait of three different men slowly moving toward a fate they cannot accept nor avoid. The film stands as the quintessential 1970's period piece.
½ December 3, 2016
This is such a classic film, essentially carried on the back of Jack Nicholson with some support from a very young Randy Quiad. It is a simple story of 2 navy officers escorting a prisoner to jail, he received an 8year sentence for stealing $40. The officers feel bad for him so show him a good time along the way. A great road movie that is one of the greats of the 70's. Check it out!
½ November 25, 2016
navy men Buddusky(Jack Nicholson) and Mulhull(Otis Young) ordered to escort young 18 year old seaman Medows (Randy Quaid) to prison in Washington. Adapted from the book written by Darryl Ponicsan.
September 5, 2016
Jack Nicholson is still class A, and this is a really good movie. It had its funny moments, but didn't really touch the emotion. You always will wonder what ever happened to that guy. Really realistic real life movie. I liked it.
September 2, 2016
Jack is a force of nature in this one, but Randy Quaid and Otis Young hold their own. A bit dated and I'm sure the language was a bit more shocking back then, but still a good time.
½ August 22, 2016
The first half of the film felt a little slow to me but after the halfway point it picked up the pace.
August 9, 2016
Jack is excellent in a performance that shows early signs of the energy and madness he would give us in Cuckoos Nest. The real revelation here however is Randy Quaid who gives a sensitive portrayal of a young Navy officer still naive to much of the outside world. As much as I love his Eddie in the National Lampoon movies I have to say that his career was well and truly wasted.
½ June 21, 2016
Good acting in this cynical story about navy life.
½ June 17, 2016
The main thing to learn from '70's cinema is that nobody ever wins.
May 30, 2016
Uproariously funny and yet at times poignant, this comedy about two Navy men bringing a young sailor on a freewheeling boyish adventure en route to prison has to be Hal Ashby's magnum opus.
March 30, 2016
Jack Nicholson and Otis Young are two sailors put on a special detail of escorting a young sailor, played by Randy Quaid, to a naval prison to do 8 years for stealing $40 from a charity. On the way, they decide to give the kid a good time before doing his time. It's a decent drama/comedy from Hal Ashby, with a great leading cast and a fun story. Plus, it is always fun to see Nicholson in his prime.
February 8, 2016
"The Last Detail" is one of Jack Nicholson's all time great movies. Other than "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".
½ October 24, 2015
The movie is probably a unconscious metaphor for the Vietnam war, and protests about the war. Many people in it would later go on to get steady Hollywood work. I went on, after 1 hour watching it, to sleep. Total tedium and boredom.
September 17, 2015
From the days of 'serious' cinema, a glimpse into the arbitrary and confined world of the armed forces with Nicholson setting the standard for patient, skilled performances.
½ August 17, 2015
An interesting buddy road trip movie with great performances from Jack Nicholson, Randy Quaid, Otis Young, and Carol Kane. It is well written and directed and I would be interested in seeing the sequel made if it ever happens
August 12, 2015
Nicholson and Otis Young play a couple of US Navy guys assigned to bring Randy Quaid to prison for trying to steal $40. Nicholson decides that Quaid is too young to throw away 8 years of his life for little reason, so he convinces Young that they should try to make Quaid's trip memorable. This is the kind of shambling character-driven film that they really knew how to make in the early 70s. It's brilliant, Nicholson in particular who has never turned in a better performance than this.
½ July 2, 2015
One of those glorious films with young Jack Nicholson, pre-Cuckoo's Nes.