The Last Samurai Reviews

• 4h ago

This film made me cry and it was the best samurai film ever. And the best Tom Cruise film ever. Must see, if you love action films or fighting or martial art films then you'll love it.

• Sep 14, 2019

It's a great watch, with well shot action, good performances across the board and a great score thanks to Hans Zimmer. The movie does drag a bit through the second act and suffers from the script being messy in some places, but the action allows for an entertaining, well produced movie that will have you invested in the characters and story. The romance between Cruise and Taka does feel a little forced, and it seems like the writers couldn't find another way for a satisfying ending. But overall good movie, definitely worth a watch!

• Aug 29, 2019

The Last Samurai is THE most underrated movie on this site.

The Last Samurai is THE most underrated movie on this site.

• Aug 27, 2019

Always loved this movie. The White Savior idiots have no clue what they’re talking about- it’s anything but. The scene where cruise leaves muddy footprints in the house is one of the best metaphors and examples of symbolism I’ve ever seen in cinema.

• Aug 24, 2019

Fell into tears, in the last battle section. A beautiful masterpiece

Fell into tears, in the last battle section. A beautiful masterpiece

• Aug 16, 2019

The Last Samurai is a 2003 action epic directed by Edward Zwick. The film stars Tom Cruise as Nathan Algren and Ken Watanabe as Katsumoto. The story follows Nathan Algren a man who has been hired by the Emperor of Japan to train the country's first army in the art of modern warfare, but after the first battle is lost he is taken prisoner by the samurai for reasons unknown to him. The story I found to be very intriguing and gripping, but if I had one problem it would be that the story slowed down a little too much toward the beginning of the third act. The acting was also very good, especially Tom Cruise as Nathan Algren, I found that he threw himself into the character and gave a really good performance. The cinematography was also very strong and grand, with a few beautiful shots of the characters and scenery. The sets and costumes were in my opinion one of the best aspects of the film, especially with the design and detail of the village run by Katsumoto. If I had one kind of big problem with the film it would be that I wish the colour palette was more bright and less dull, but luckily it doesn't take away from the characters or story. The action I found to be shot and directed really well, especially the duels in the way of the samurai. The practical effects were also very strong, especially with the explosions and stabbings. The film also had some really strong atmosphere, especially at the end of the third act with Nathan and Katsumoto. The film I also very much enjoyed, and I will be watching it again in the future. Over all I give it a 8/10

• Aug 11, 2019

this movie is worth all its money the best movie i've seen in war has action and you're not tired of a perfect movie :)

• Aug 10, 2019

If someone says this is a “white savior” movie, they missed the heart of the story. Tom Cruise in NO WAY saves them! On the contrary they save him.

• Aug 03, 2019

Best movie ever! I'm willing to watch this for the rest of my life! Very good, recommended!

• Aug 01, 2019

While it does borrow some elements from the white savior narrative, The Last Samurai rises on the strength of the performances of its talented cast, the high production values and the amazing battle sequences making this epic a thoughtful that, in the words of the late Roger Ebert, is "uncommonly thoughtful".