Last Tango in Paris Reviews

• Aug 30, 2019

Awful masturbation. This film is nothing but ridiculous self indulgent wank masquerading as art for two narcissists- Marlon Brando and director Bertolucci, both who orchestrated the famous onscreen rape of Maria Schneider. It's disgusting that it's considered a classic, even by "Arthouse" lovers who are aware of the onscreen rape. Brando and Bertolucci are lost in a cocoon of solipsism and served up this oroboros waltz that foolish souls eat up. Marlon Brando was an atrocious human being and this film is nothing but total wank.

• Aug 04, 2019

The chase scene, the last run, the rush that it gives me, that adrenaline is what drives me to cinema every single time. Ultimo Tango A Parigi (Last Tango In Paris) Bertolucci's vision is above most filmmakers. At least in that era. I can imagine him being drooled over by the actors let alone viewers. For his magnetic characters calls for much more attention than his world ever did. And this can easily be pointed out by the way he picturizes his characters, i.e. he mostly uses close-up shots, especially when they are expressing themselves. And if the writer and director Bernardo Bertolucci does focus on the world his characters hover around, he usually portrays it as a map. And as a viewer you are told to find out, look for the faces when he distances you from them. And this is his genius, this is the part where you and he knows that his story is getting in your head, his characters are taking charge over you. And who else will be a better contender to invest your chips on then Marlon Brando who at that prime stage was the hottest, reliable ticket to tear up on screen. The expectations that he comes up with is exceeded by just the way, as an individual entity, in this romantic drama, he is painted, it is simply brilliant. And I am not just saying that being his fan or the power he is given in his hand or the mystery that shadows him throughout the film, it is actually the way his character is romanticized. The dark drunken aspect of his love track is what impresses and inspires me the most. And it is not this his love is grounded or barred within a particular character, no matter who he shares his screen with, he remains a powerful imbalanced force and if he is not, he just leaves the room. Last Tango In Paris has the best dance in the film, it is between a cat and a mouse.

• Jun 08, 2019

Excellent framing, fotography and sorry telling.

Excellent framing, fotography and sorry telling.

• Apr 04, 2019

a little confusing but overall pretty good

a little confusing but overall pretty good

• Mar 30, 2019

A supposed controversial film on its 1972 release. It now looks extremely over rated and for want of a better word boring. Set in Paris, as the title suggests it stars Marlon Brando, fresh from his 'refused' Academy Award Best Actor for The Godfather. Brando plays a portly forty something American who lives in Paris called Paul who is left heartbroken at the death/supposed suicide/murder of his wife Rosa. He seeks solace in casual sex with a young Parisian Jeanne (Maria Schneider) after a chance meeting when looking to rent an apartment. What follows is an extremely slow moving story of their tryst broken up with a few sexual encounters. Some of which fell foul of international censors, courts and campaigners at the time of release. I am talking about a butter rape scene in particular, sticking fingers up orifices. I am not offended, I just find it a distracting part of the story and some excellent acting from Brando in particular. Especially in one scene where he talks to the dead corpse of his wife. She is lying in some sort of state surrounded by flowers and plastered in make-up. Her deeply religious mother might have something to do with that. Jeanne herself is supposedly about to marry some geeky, annoying French film maker. It also transpires that Rosa partook in an affair when alive. Indeed Paul meets the guy and they enjoy a Bourbon dressed in matching bath robes? It is not my type of film at all really. I can't see the fuss it caused. It is intensely boring and sliw moving for long periods as Paul parambles around a Citroen 2CV filled 1970s Paris. The last act of the film sees Paul and Jeanne, who still don't know each other's names, gatecrash a dancing contest drunkenly. The dancers are dancing to the tango. Jeanne dumps Paul and rushes back to the aoartment with Paul in pursuit. Paul displays some semblance of commitment in just about telling Jeanne his name when disaster strikes! Why did I watch that?

• Feb 26, 2019

There is an actual rape in this movie. I don't see why any one would watch it knowing that the actress did not know what was going to happen to her, and was violated on camera, and quit acting after this experience. It's not 'art' or 'aesthetic violence'... it's just rape. Old and gross (and getting paid to rape someone), Marlon Brando was praised for this 'performance'. Schneider, a young actress with a promising career ahead of her, left the business. Why are we still elevating this movie?

• Feb 20, 2019

Brando deserved the award for this film but a shocking and sad finale.

Brando deserved the award for this film but a shocking and sad finale.

• Feb 02, 2019

Absolutely disgusting that Maria Schneider was sexually assaulted and raped for the movie to create a “real” reaction. A plan carried out by both Bernando (director) and Brando. Look it up. Trash movie.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best, GREATEST romance movie ever made!

The best, GREATEST romance movie ever made!

• Aug 23, 2018