The Learning Tree Reviews

Aldo G Super Reviewer
    Jun 30, 2019

This is an exceptional film that deserves to be better recognized by critics. More importantly, every American should see The Learning Tree.

• Apr 11, 2019

back in the old days it was convenient to just shoot black people instead of arresting them... but they dont do that anymore do they?

• Oct 07, 2018

Some forced powerful themes that demanded your attention. I did not always find the characters believable, but the message made up for it.

• Jan 16, 2014

good bio-pic of sorts of the director the gr8 gordon parks

good bio-pic of sorts of the director the gr8 gordon parks

• Aug 01, 2013

beautifully photographed as one would expect from parks..and definitely worthy of its selection into the national film registry.....

• Jul 05, 2012

I loved the message in this movie, it's truly a teaching tool. I watched it as a child and still love it as an adult.

• Jan 16, 2012

There many parts of this movie that I like but especially the part when Newt uncle Rob tells the boy about the different colors he see since he is blind..He says to him Quote- He doesn't remember the color of people are anymore..If somebody does something good or bad ..I don't figure his color into it..I figure his deed .Then his newfew ask him another question & I also like the answer his uncle gives him..about people not just beening black & white but all the people of the world make up different colors it be a happy world...a wonderful world mix up with colorful people,,nobody been the same as anybody else. I felt alot diff emotions in this movie..I really enjoy it.. Its a must see.

• Jan 16, 2012

great coming of age story & cinema from the legendary Gordon Parks.

great coming of age story & cinema from the legendary Gordon Parks.

• Oct 20, 2010

It really resonated with me. Thoughtful and complex.

It really resonated with me. Thoughtful and complex.

• Aug 30, 2010

Add a review.A Grand Classic of Black Cinema brilliantly directed by Gordon Parks!!! Being the first feature to be directed by black man for a major film studio,this film shows 1920's Kansas as a brutal,hostile racist place and the experiences four friends encounter during the era of Jim Crow in the Midwest. Brilliant performances throughout from not only debut actor and newcomer Kyle Johnson,but also from Estelle Evans and Dana Elcar. ..