Lee Daniels' The Butler - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lee Daniels' The Butler Reviews

November 26, 2016
Propoganda piece. When I realized what they were doing, I turned it off.
½ October 10, 2016
I did not know what to expect before watching this film, but I was pleasantly surprised by it! Such an amazing story that went very deep in the events of the civil rights movement. It was upsetting, but I enjoyed it overall! Perfect casting choices as well.
½ October 1, 2016
This movie will break your heart, bring you a world of joy and fear as well as true laughter all in one breath. Fantastic performances, Forest Whitaker is beautifully blunt.
September 9, 2016
Everything you are and everything you have, is because of that butler.
September 2, 2016
It's about a White House Butler who served as Butler for 8 different Presidents
½ August 24, 2016
There is some great story-telling here. It's the saga of one family, spanning 3 generations, focusing primarily on Cecil Gaines, who spends decades working in the White House as a butler.

This story is very well told. The primary story of Cecil and his family is interwoven with many short stories of historically significant people such as former US Presidents, all intertwined in a logical and cohesive way, although you can't expect to really know much about each President from this. There's no depth to the Presidents. It's more the story of Cecil and his family, after all.

Good casting.

For me, the very beginning of the movie is very significant: Cecil's mother is abused and his father is murdered on one tragic day when he is a young boy. He spends the rest of his youth serving his father's murderer and his family, quietly, calmly, and carefully, until he leaves before he too, ends up dead at his father's killer's hands. The one word that I think best describes Cecil is: survivor.

Would Cecil have made it if, when he broke into a place to steal food, the person who discovered him hadn't helped him? Probably not. There are times when someone's compassion and understanding can be an elevator from hell to heaven. This man took him and gave him a job and was an amazing surrogate father to him.

This movie explains the Civil Rights movement in an understandable way, including why it needed to happen and some of those involved in it happening, including Cecil's own son, whom he pretty much disowned for being involved in the Freedom Rides. Those Freedom Rides and the beatings and jailings his son went through helped bring about change. And yet, there is a great deal about the Civil Rights movement that didn't make it into this.

The personal story of Cecil's wife battling alcoholism was also in the mix, adding dimension to the story.

I thought it was very significant that their son Louis went through so much and yet walked away from the Black Panthers when he discovered they were about revenge, including killing. He even gave up his girlfriend because she was a Black Panther and he wasn't going to be. Tragically, his other son Charlie makes the ultimate sacrifice for his country, dying patriotically in a controversial war.

Interesting that under President Reagan Cecil finally got fair pay, after decades at 40% of the pay rate of a white worker in the same type of job.

Finally meeting the first black President was clearly very moving for Cecil. It was heartwarming to see this dream come true for the old butler. And nice to see a reconciliation, after all those years, between father and son.

The movie portrays Obama as a hero to Cecil just for being black and President at the same time. The movie just doesn't really show us enough of the good or the bad to give a true picture of Obama. There's simply an understanding of wonderful, solely based on the color of his skin.
½ August 16, 2016
The history of the American civil rights movement is showcased through the eyes of Cecil Grimes, an African-American man who served as a butler in the White House through seven presidents.

I have so many problems with this film. To start, the film opens with the claim that it is based on THE true story, as if there is only one true story. But the story isn't even true. The real butler's name wasn't Cecil Grimes. It was Eugene Allen. In the film, Cecil has two sons, one of whom joins the Black Panthers and the other who goes off to fight in Vietnam. Eugene had one son who neither was a political activist nor served his country in battle. In the film, Cecil watched his father get murdered by a lecherous employer on a cotton field in Georgia. Eugene, apparently, grew up on a Virginia plantation. So what was true in the story?

Yes, there were Freedom Riders. These were activist black and white (to use the terms in use at the time) university students who rode interstate buses together in the American South and, yes, many of them were beaten up by racist mobs. Yes, it took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to extend equal civil rights to all Americans regardless of the colour of their skin. Yes, America now has an African-American president and yes, there really was a White House butler who served seven presidents. But there was so much creative license used in the film, I half-expected Cecil to claim he was related to Kunta Kinte, the character made famous in the book and TV series, ROOTS.

Oh, and don't get me started on the characterizations of the various presidents. What a joke! Robin Williams played Dwight D. Eisenhower, even though he looked more like Harry Truman. James Marsden (of X-Men fame) played John Kennedy, Liev Schreiber - wearing an obvious prosthetic on his nose - played Lyndon Johnson, John Cusack - also sporting a bad nose job - played Richard Nixon, and Alan Rickman played Ronald Reagan. I thought I was watching a series of comedy sketches on Saturday Night Live. It's too bad there wasn't a part in the film for Sarah Palin so that we could enjoy Tina's Fey's sendup of her. The only impersonation that was any good was Jane Fonda's creepy portrayal of Nancy Reagan.

This is a story that should have been a made-for-TV miniseries, just as ROOTS was almost 40 years ago. The film features a cast of some of Hollywood's most respected African-American actors today including Forest Whitaker, Oprah Winfrey, Terrence Howard, Cuba Gooding Jr., Clarence Williams III, Lenny Kravitz, David Oyelowo and Elijah Kelley. Even Mariah Carey makes an appearance. Blink and you'll miss her.

And that's the big problem I have with the film. It covers so much history in its 2:12 running time that every scene is distilled down to a brief snippet. As a result, characters become stereotypes and we're left thinking that Cecil is simply an African-Americant version of Forrest Gump. World-altering events happen to him and his family while he goes about serving drinks to rich white boys.

Many people have argued that kids need to watch this film in order to learn about the American civil rights movement but there are better films than this. I would recommend MISSISSIPPI BURNING (1988), SCOTTSBORO: AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY (2000), FROM SWASTIKA TO JIM CROW (2000), and THE ROSA PARKS STORY (2002).

In the meantime, give this film a miss.
August 12, 2016
Good story based on fact.
July 10, 2016
This movie gave really good insight into the lives of the White House butlers and their relationships with the POTUS.
July 3, 2016
Me parecio muy buena,muy interesante,aparte una pelicula con historia politica de Estados Unidos 8/10
June 30, 2016
An interesting if a bit overwrought way to showcase the civil rights movement over the decades, in addition to a study of the evolution of a particular form of servant class in contrast to the revolution going on outside. What I found most impressive in the storyline was how they rehearsed for the sit-ins. It's obvious now that it's been pointed out, but it had never occurred to me that they'd practice all the horrible things that would be done to them.
June 8, 2016
Lee Daniel's The Butler provides a detailed look at the Civil Rights movement and two distinct approaches. There are great performances within, but shifting between the father and sons story is not done to the best of its ability.
May 28, 2016
The top tier performances worked against the film as it focus too much on its star studded cast rather than substance.
May 22, 2016
I felt like the ambition was there, but the execution never quite delivered the goods.
½ May 14, 2016
Well produced, well-acted, and the definition of Oscar-bait. Forrest Whittaker does well, but is barely understandable. Oprah Winfrey continues to prove she needs to act more. And the odd casting choices for Presidents are mostly done so you'll pay attention to them rather than for authenticity. A good movie that tries too hard to be great.
April 30, 2016
Lost it a bit mid film, but came back for strong final half hour. Forest Whitaker Cecil is strong, but outshone by Oprah's role as his supportive, yet alcoholic wife
½ April 22, 2016
Forrest Whitaker was just amazing in this. It struck me again what a terrific actress Oprah is. Some sad moments but overall a really interesting film.
½ April 21, 2016
If Obama was the pinnacle of black racial aspirations no wonder not much has really changed.
April 10, 2016
I'm glad I watched it. The story is good, acting is great and the general feel of the movie feels right. I'm not sure how much of this is true and they make you feel as though he had an affect on policy which probably isn't true but either way it was entertaining and insightful.
March 28, 2016
Very good in the history and story line but not all true.