The Legend of 1900 (La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano) Reviews

• Aug 31, 2019

An utterly beautiful & surprisingly enchanting movie.

An utterly beautiful & surprisingly enchanting movie.

• Aug 01, 2019

Drammatico, emozionante, leggendario. Un film di questo calibro non è per tutti; è qualcosa di unico. Forse è eccessiva la durata. Ennio Morricone leggendario, voto: 9

• Jul 24, 2018

Legend was Ridley Scott's follow up to his most personal film Blade Runner. And it was the start of his "average" phase. Legend is a decent film- it looks astonishing Ill give it that. But the story is basic and Tom Cruise is simply adequate. Tim Curry as the bad guy actually completely steals the show but overall this is just an okay film filled with pretty visuals. If you want to watch a fantasy there are other better films. Unless you're a fan of Ridley Scott or Tom Cruise I think you can safely avoid this.

• May 10, 2018

Great movie! The score sways with the story much like the ship he was born on. The music represents all the emotions normally found expressed by the characters. 1900's character development can be witnessed in the ever changing musical styles, all the while still remaining true to himself. This is a story of a man who's whole life is his music. The world comes to him time and time again yet 1900 remains mostly ambivalent and solely invested in his own music. When the world threatens to pass him by, he reluctantly accepts. This is a beautiful and tragic story and Tim Roth captures the heart of it perfectly.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    May 09, 2018

Without any structure, focus or even narrative purpose, still the biggest problem with this disastrous (and overlong) mess of a film is how the personality of its title character (who remains an irritating sketch) and his forced friendship with the protagonist are so poorly developed.

• Apr 26, 2018

With 'The Legend of 1900', director, Giuseppe Tornatore, crafts an entertaining fable which pays major respect and homage to the world of early, New Orleans Jazz. Being that it is a legend, as well as being told by the musician who worked with the titular 1900 (yes, that is the character's name and the reason why he was born with that name is kickass), we, as an audience, are free to interpret it however we may choose. Was it all true or was it all exaggerated? You decide. I really like films that can pull off open interpretation without sacrificing focus. I personally found it to be quite a lovely and musically respectful work of both joy and sadness despite its occasional ridiculous/hokey moments. I'd like to also give a shout out to all the exceptional actors and cinematography.

• Apr 11, 2018

I can't understand why Tornatore has highly rated in China. It's like a Bollywood film. A interesting mess. Actually the script of this film is good, but it was destroyed by this poor director.

• Jan 02, 2018

LOVE this movie!! Tim Roth is outstanding as 1900

LOVE this movie!! Tim Roth is outstanding as 1900

• Nov 06, 2017

One of the worst films i've ever seen, i'm shocked that so many people like it!

One of the worst films i've ever seen, i'm shocked that so many people like it!

• Aug 12, 2017

Beautiful film from a master of the medium.

Beautiful film from a master of the medium.