Legends of the Fall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Legends of the Fall Reviews

April 12, 2017
A compelling action and romance movie. Pitt's long hair seemed distracting, though. Julia O looked good on a horse!
April 4, 2017
While this movie has a powerful story, it has flaws which bring it down but it's still a great movie nonetheless.

This tale follows a family growing up in the early 1900's in the country. It details how they go through many different obstacles and how their lives are effected.

This movie won an Oscar for "Best Cinematography" in 1994. This movie does impress you with spectacular scenery and landscapes but that's the least this movie has to offer.

Firstly, I do feel that this is a powerful story. It has a moving plot, several moving and emotional scenes, and great narration. It has the ability to move you. Although I feel that some scenes dragged on a bit too long, the movie was able to keep my attention for the most part. There were just a few scenes I grew bored in.

The acting is really hit or miss. I didn't think it was absolutely terrible but it didn't impress me all too much either. Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins were the only 2 actors who gave good performances in my opinion. The rest were either mediocre or bad performances. They weren't completely terrible like some low-budget movies but they just didn't impress me.

I mentioned that the movie has great narration. But while it does, it still has the tendency to get a little cheesy at times. It doesn't happen too often but when it does, I can't help but cringe.

So in conclusion, this is a pretty great movie. I appreciate it for what it is but like most movies, it's not without its flaws and it can get on your nerves too. However, I for one enjoyed this film. It was well-done and I felt a lot of emotions while watching it. I recommend it to other fans of the genre.
½ March 31, 2017
Earnest performances, beautiful cinematography and an unforgettable James Horner score highlight this period piece and make it a must see even if it doesn't fulfill its promise by wallowing in melodrama.
February 20, 2017
This movie was beautiful too look at in so many ways. I'm catching up on movies I was either too young too watch or not born yet! The plot was too thick in spots and Maybe it doesn't deserve the 4 stars but I'm giving it anyways.
February 12, 2017
Best Brad Pitt and Classic movie for me..
February 8, 2017
Legends of the Fall takes forever to get where it's going, and when it finally gets there, it makes you question whether it was worth the wait. The scenery is beautiful and the acting is well done, but the story is bloated and bland. This film isn't the romantic epic it thinks it is.
February 7, 2017
Brad Pitt's best movie role to date. He is epic in this tale and he and Anthony Hopkins performances are wonderful. A movie to see again and again.
½ February 4, 2017
It was gonna be 3/5 until the next-to-last scene--that was the final straw. It had so much more potential.
January 29, 2017
Best movie of all time!!!
January 16, 2017
One of my favorite movies ever in the history of movies.
½ January 11, 2017
It's hard to remember if you're watching "Legends of the Fall" or "River runs through it"...beautiful scenery, makes you want to move to Montana, but you could watch a tourism film and get better acting. The "stroke" scenes with Sir Anthony Hopkins are embarrassingly bad.
November 7, 2016
Although Pitt and Hopkins shine, the rest of the film remains dull and over-dramatic.
November 3, 2016
One of my all time favorites.
October 16, 2016
It's supposed to be a good movie, due to best cinematography.
July 5, 2016
One of the best films I had seen in a long time. A convincing love story. Very moving. Superb locations. Great acting by Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins. Loved it !
½ July 3, 2016
I forgot how much I loved this film. My mom and I would watch it and it was one film that she wouldn't fall asleep watching no matter how tired she was. I can see why after watching it again, it's such a captivating film.
½ July 1, 2016
Guilty pleasure.

""Legends of the Fall" is not a Serious Movie, despite the profound sentiments of its narration and the classical ironies of its plot. It is a high-class horse opera - emphasis on opera, with an abundance of operatic coincidences, passions, loves, losses, overwrought arias and heart-wrenching soliloquies. On that basis it is enormously entertaining, a throwback to the days when Hollywood didn't apologize for passionate stories involving three brothers whose fates are intertwined with that of a legendary woman, as they're all outlined against the Big Sky." -Roger Ebert
June 11, 2016
An old film that I have only just got around to seeing. Well acted, especially from Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins and, whilst the plot is not quite as sweeping and epic as some of the camerawork or superb soundtrack, I can see why it received such acclaim.
½ June 4, 2016
Absolutely awful. Shot beautifully, but romanticised the hell out of rural / Georgic / "Native American" life. And I won't even begin on the convoluted, ridiculous, idiotic narrative because then I would never stop. Melodrama like no soap opera could achieve (okay, that's really not true) - though perhaps more emotional, if only because one doesn't have the same amount of time to get used to the absurdity.

But I didn't fall asleep and the actors were decent, so hey, not a 1-star.
April 22, 2016
An enjoyable movie despite its flaws.