Legends of the Fall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Legends of the Fall Reviews

August 21, 2017
Great cast in an epic romance tale of forbidden love & family honour.
½ August 14, 2017
A sweeping epic involving love, family and contrasting philosophies, "Legends of the Fall" sports engaging performances, majestic cinematography, an appropriately melodramatic score and steady direction by Edward Zwick. Highly recommended!
July 21, 2017
Although it appears to be epic, it's a long melodrama in fact. The scenes of Montana are stunning and add a sense of splendor. Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins shine in the movie. The part I love best is Tristan travel far away, almost lose himself, then finally find regain tranquility in a sense after struggle. I certainly feel jubilant when Tristan and Isabel Two get married cuz Isabel Two is such an endearing girl sticking to her thoughts and love. I find all main characters in the movie have adorable strong minds except Susannah. She is too fainthearted to make a right decision. However, considering her family background, such traits are not hard to understand.
July 7, 2017
One of the best movies of all time!
April 12, 2017
A compelling action and romance movie. Pitt's long hair seemed distracting, though. Julia O looked good on a horse!
April 4, 2017
While this movie has a powerful story, it has flaws which bring it down but it's still a great movie nonetheless.

This tale follows a family growing up in the early 1900's in the country. It details how they go through many different obstacles and how their lives are effected.

This movie won an Oscar for "Best Cinematography" in 1994. This movie does impress you with spectacular scenery and landscapes but that's the least this movie has to offer.

Firstly, I do feel that this is a powerful story. It has a moving plot, several moving and emotional scenes, and great narration. It has the ability to move you. Although I feel that some scenes dragged on a bit too long, the movie was able to keep my attention for the most part. There were just a few scenes I grew bored in.

The acting is really hit or miss. I didn't think it was absolutely terrible but it didn't impress me all too much either. Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins were the only 2 actors who gave good performances in my opinion. The rest were either mediocre or bad performances. They weren't completely terrible like some low-budget movies but they just didn't impress me.

I mentioned that the movie has great narration. But while it does, it still has the tendency to get a little cheesy at times. It doesn't happen too often but when it does, I can't help but cringe.

So in conclusion, this is a pretty great movie. I appreciate it for what it is but like most movies, it's not without its flaws and it can get on your nerves too. However, I for one enjoyed this film. It was well-done and I felt a lot of emotions while watching it. I recommend it to other fans of the genre.
½ March 31, 2017
Earnest performances, beautiful cinematography and an unforgettable James Horner score highlight this period piece and make it a must see even if it doesn't fulfill its promise by wallowing in melodrama.
February 20, 2017
This movie was beautiful too look at in so many ways. I'm catching up on movies I was either too young too watch or not born yet! The plot was too thick in spots and Maybe it doesn't deserve the 4 stars but I'm giving it anyways.
February 12, 2017
Best Brad Pitt and Classic movie for me..
February 8, 2017
Legends of the Fall takes forever to get where it's going, and when it finally gets there, it makes you question whether it was worth the wait. The scenery is beautiful and the acting is well done, but the story is bloated and bland. This film isn't the romantic epic it thinks it is.
February 7, 2017
Brad Pitt's best movie role to date. He is epic in this tale and he and Anthony Hopkins performances are wonderful. A movie to see again and again.
½ February 4, 2017
It was gonna be 3/5 until the next-to-last scene--that was the final straw. It had so much more potential.
January 29, 2017
Best movie of all time!!!
January 16, 2017
One of my favorite movies ever in the history of movies.
½ January 11, 2017
It's hard to remember if you're watching "Legends of the Fall" or "River runs through it"...beautiful scenery, makes you want to move to Montana, but you could watch a tourism film and get better acting. The "stroke" scenes with Sir Anthony Hopkins are embarrassingly bad.
November 7, 2016
Although Pitt and Hopkins shine, the rest of the film remains dull and over-dramatic.
November 3, 2016
One of my all time favorites.
October 16, 2016
It's supposed to be a good movie, due to best cinematography.
July 5, 2016
One of the best films I had seen in a long time. A convincing love story. Very moving. Superb locations. Great acting by Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins. Loved it !
½ July 3, 2016
I forgot how much I loved this film. My mom and I would watch it and it was one film that she wouldn't fall asleep watching no matter how tired she was. I can see why after watching it again, it's such a captivating film.