Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Reviews

• Dec 03, 2020

Twisted children’s adventure features a great production design and an entertainingly hammy performance by Jim Carrey as the villainous Count Olaf. But it’s a little thin and underdeveloped. Not bad, but could’ve been better.

• Oct 12, 2020

Despite it shifting some things around from the original books' narratives, A Series of Unfortunate Events is a pretty memorable movie. Dripping with atmosphere and a style of quirky and dark humor, this mean-spirited Jim Carrey family film is good, just not great.

• Sep 07, 2020

5 bags, a lake filled with leeches, some disguises, and a negligent Irishman whom no one wants to be there. Jim Carrey is at it again in one of his most fanciful roles yet. Meryl Streep and Cedric the Entertainer are in here too, and they're as silly as they've ever been. And Cedric is pretty crazy if you've ever seen him on stage, man he is funny. The gothic set design and dark grey and ugly world was totally reminiscent of the Addams Family, or gothic and noir classics like Blue Velvet. Tim Burton was probably influenced greatly by this movie, and that's why you see him directing all these kids' movies now-he did Dumbo, he did Alice in Wonderland, and yeah it was all because of this movie. This is a PG rated movie, but it's very dark and we would caution you as a parent to show your kids it because he tries to murder these kids, and tries to even marry one. All his actor friends are in on it. So, from the perspectives of 2 guys without kids, be careful showing kids this movie. Being a kid is hard, and that's the theme we took from it. And that's also why it has a strong Popcorn nexus to both "Stepmom" and even the beloved gem of sad cinema "Kramer vs. Kramer." You need to do the homework to figure out the connections. We're through spelling them out, you should be solving them yourself. If you can't tell who the narrator is a few minutes in, then you gotta get to work. I could tell. This movie was #101 out of a planned 531 and I'm now a popcorn prophet, by 531 I will be dead. I will have risen and fallen, like so many great movie characters. So yeah it was a treat, watch Lemony Snicket if you get a chance.

• Jul 19, 2020

Major changes were made to the story for the movie to flow, and while it does help the movie, it hurts the story, and if you know the real story, it takes you out of the movie.

• Jun 28, 2020

This is one of the few "book to movie" titles that I think would have benefited more from Tim Burton's mind, given that the intent was to do the entire series. I think the requirements are high to make the source material work, as the series has shown us. Having an actor that is versatile and able to easily do "over the top" performances (Hi Jim Carey) definitely helps move the movie along. And thank goodness this movie kicked off Emily Browning's career as it's really her and Jim that carry the movie. The supporting cast is a great who's who of actors that you'd love and recognize, but maybe don't remember their names. As the story is ludicrous, as noted by the participants, it feels like it plays with your suspension of disbelief a bit. Also because it is the beginning of a books series, this movie feels unfinished, the movie doesn't end with the promise of more to come, just "life's sad: look at everything you'll never know". The unanswered questions and weak ending definitely hurt the viewing. But it did get me excited to re-watch the series. Ultimately a good movie, you'll be glad to see it, and I will definitely again at some point. (Just with the series available, you should probably watch that instead.)

• Jun 23, 2020

Not as great as "The Cable Guy", but still a solid dark comedy with Jim Carrey and him doing a great job as a villan.

• May 23, 2020

Unfortunately a series of uninteresting events

Unfortunately a series of uninteresting events

• May 17, 2020

This movie is a very good one, they pulled the right actors for this movies, because it all works. This was made in 2004, but now 12 years later we have the netflix series, and that is much longer, and just better in every way. so if you have netflix, just do the tv show.

• May 15, 2020

A strange movie based on the book series that will be delightful for the kids only.

• May 11, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this, but it's missing that little extra something special which stops it from being rated higher. 'Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events' offers a lot and does a load of respectable things. Jim Carrey is the perfect actor to play the villain here, his performance is super even though I still think he had more in his locker to show off. Enjoyable nonetheless. The two younger members of the cast, Liam Aiken and Emily Browning, are good in their corresponding roles of Klaus and Violet. I initially found the dialogue for toddler Sunny amusing, but it did get repetitive after a while. There's a couple of other parts that familiar people play nicely, namely Timothy Spall (Poe), Billy Connolly (Montgomery), Meryl Streep (Josephine) and Cedric the Entertainer (Constable) - Dustin Hoffman even appears for a cameo. Excellent overall casting, it must be said. I even liked Jude Law, who I've (as of this review) always found more annoying than anything else. Here, he is terrific as Lemony Snicket himself - Law has an ideal voice for narration. As you can see, there's a lot to be entertained by in this film. However, as noted at the top, there's just simply something that it is absent. I feel it should've been funnier and larger, with much more lustre and lure. Not incredibly far away from being an outstanding production, in truth.