Less Than Zero Reviews

• Aug 08, 2019

Easily Robert downey jr's best movie.

Easily Robert downey jr's best movie.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best movie song ever sung: A Hazy Shade of Winter!

The best movie song ever sung: A Hazy Shade of Winter!

• Nov 19, 2018

Ending made me sad. Great depiction of addiction

Ending made me sad. Great depiction of addiction

• Nov 10, 2018

Downey's acting is flawless, a real standout

Downey's acting is flawless, a real standout

• Apr 20, 2018

There’s a good chance I saw Less Than Zero before, because it is loaded with actors I’ve always loved. But there’s also a reason I haven’t revisited it, because I’m not all that fond of movies that focus solely on the never-ending downward spiral that comes from drug abuse. They all seem to be relatively effective at portraying how terrible life can be when you are dependent on drugs. The problem is they are almost always as depressing as a funeral, which is an experience that I just don’t enjoy putting myself through. I’ve never had any issues with drugs, so I don’t gravitate towards these glorified afterschool specials. I think the casting was perhaps a little too on-the-nose in Less Than Zero. Andrew McCarthy is obvious as the straight-laced friend who decides to prioritize college. It’s almost depressing to see Robert Downey Jr. as the addict who can’t get his life right, considering he went through that exact same thing in real life. James Spader as the sleazy drug dealer might have been a bit more surprising then, but seems pretty obvious to me now. And then there’s Jami Gertz who simply doesn’t have the acting chops to pull off her role. She is either fully hyper right after taking a hit, or somber with constant worry-face. The character arcs are convincing enough in the film. Sadly, the story keeps circling around instead of progressing forward. Once things are setup, it takes a long time for anything to change, and I started to get annoyed with watching McCarthy act oblivious or uncaring. I also have a big pet peeve about movies where a lot of illegal and dangerous things are going on and we never once see a police officer, and the good guys never think to call one. Less Than Zero is decent if you’re looking for another movie about the dangers of teen drug abuse, but it’s not a genre I enjoy and did nothing to set itself apart from other films that have done the same thing better.

• Dec 28, 2017

I am rather obsessed with the title Less than Zero. I can't seem to figure out exactly what it signifies. I know that the title of the 1987 movie comes from the title of Elvis Costello's debut single of the same title but neither the movie or the book by Bret Easton Ellis has anything to do with the song. The song isn't even included in the movie or on its bestselling soundtrack record. Costello gives few contextual clues as to what he means when he says Less than Zero and thus the title remains mysterious and elusive. It exists in the realm of sounding 'cool.' https://geeks.media/classic-movie-review-less-than-zero?_ga=2.55437803.1126457623.1513947710-953607229.1513947710

• Dec 24, 2017

Less Than Zero holds up much better than expected. It's not preachy thankfully.

Less Than Zero holds up much better than expected. It's not preachy thankfully.

• Oct 27, 2017

A good film in its own right but has nothing on the film.

A good film in its own right but has nothing on the film.

• Sep 03, 2017

Andrew McCarthy sees his rich former high school friend with everything (including a fling with his girlfriend) and end up with less than zero after failing to cover the drugs he is selling. Spader was great in the right roles and was here too as the young drug pusher.

• Aug 11, 2017

A very glossy and brightly coloured movie that unfortunately altogether misses out on the brilliance of the book's finer points. The impressive cast is wasted. There's no nuance. The approach is disappointingly one dimensional.