Lethal Weapon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lethal Weapon Reviews

November 28, 2016
Great film. Love these films. Ain't seen for years, look Forward to seeing 2,3 and 4
November 27, 2016
Classic! Followed by 3 theatrical sequels and a TV series reboot. On Blu-ray.
November 23, 2016
Easily one of the finest American action films of the '80s. However, this film has a lot more going for it than one may think. Firstly, the phenomenal chemistry between Gibson and Glover, which is helped by a great deal of improvisation friendly direction from the great Richard Donner. All while sporting, possibly, the best performance of Mel Gibson's career.

If, somehow, none of that interests you; Shane Black's script is a masterpiece, and the action is spectacular.
½ November 19, 2016
It's good but I never liked the final 30 minutes. The sequel is better. Pretend they solved the murder with the shootout at the pimps house then move on to the next film.
½ November 13, 2016
161113: How times have changed. Lethal Weapon is still a good film but suffers from a few dated qualities. From Riggs' hair to his question of Murtaugh "What are you, a fag?" this film is showing its age. I always had a bit of trouble with Mel Gibson's portrayal of someone allegedly suffering from mental health issues. He came across as unconvincing to me. This time around, I'm feeling it a bit more. "Hate him back, it works for me" is a response I'm familiar with. Gary Busey's contribution as the villain Joshua cannot be understated. He completes this film.
November 7, 2016
One of the first cop movies to mix the whole concept of action and adventure with comedy, it more or less help shape and define how cop movies would be remembered and portrayed for years, possibly even to this day. The original owes its success to the strong presence and acting of its two main leads, Mel Gibson and Danny Glover. Without these men I doubt the franchise would have gotten very far, at least not three sequels and a TV show reboot far. And while it is not the strongest of the series, that would be the second one, it still feels like a must watch for people wanting to get into the business of making action movies.
October 19, 2016
What a movie. We're do I even start? The characters are lovable, the acting is some of the best. I think it shares first place with die hard for the best Christmas action movies of all time!
October 17, 2016
10/17/16 - This truly is a dynamic duo! Action at its finest! God please bring back the good old days! Help us move forward to better days! Heal this broken land of the United States of America and bring us back to you in Jesus Christ name!
October 12, 2016
The best installment in the franchise. A neat action/thriller flick with a great cast-member team up.
October 9, 2016
It's a classic '80s action movie in every sense.

Grade: A
½ October 2, 2016
An action classic that kicked off the movie series that defined the "buddy cop" genre
September 25, 2016
Mel Gibson and Danny make for a damn good team in this '80s action classic. With its heavy (and heady) saxophone soundtrack and handheld-stylized camerawork, Lethal Weapon stands tall as a tribute to its time and the late-great stuntman Dar Robinson. It should be no surprise that Mel Gibson broke out big with the two-hand punch of Mad Max and Lethal Weapon; here, he again plays a police officer struggling with a deep personal loss, but this time with a charm and swagger that explodes onscreen.
½ September 25, 2016
This is an example of marketing making a film iconic when it doesn't deserve it's status. There were loads of similar films with cliche detectives all through the 70's and 80's which fell between the cracks because it didn't have mad max in them. At the time this was released, he was still popular and was able to sell this rubbish to the masses very easily.
September 14, 2016
"I'm too old for this shit..." No, Mr Glover: you're never too old for this and it certainly isn't shit. "Riggs!"
½ September 10, 2016
The apex of the buddy cop comedy action thriller. It is such an influential movie to the action genre that I recommend everyone see it.
September 10, 2016
One of the best action movies ever made, which redifines, not only the buddy cop genre, but the buddy film genre itself. Directed by Richard Donner, it stars good old Danny Glover and Mel gibson, who make a great duo. Even part of the good musical score itself, was done by legend Eric Clapton. Well it's not a comedy movie, there is a bit of humor in this film. A good action movie. Recommended !!
September 8, 2016
Favorite Mel Gibson movie, action packed and funny and entertaining!
August 23, 2016
Lethal gave me a nostalgia trip, despite never having seen it. This was a movie that would be strictly off-limits to me as a child, but the style and feel of the film is reminiscent of the action movies my friends and I loved before our tenth birthdays. Glover and Gibson both submit wonderful performances, especially Gibson, who plays a complete maniac with a convincingness that was probably more revealing than people realized at the time. His mythical heroism here is fun because it's convincing - the insanity aspect covers for some more farfetched parts of his character. Having to see Gary Busey was the only real negative of this film, together with the idiotic final fight scene.
½ August 20, 2016
It really didn't take a lot to impress movie fans of the 80s. "Lethal Weapon" is the poster child of the buddy cop genre, but as beloved as it is, it's hardly masterpiece material.