Liar Liar Reviews

• Aug 18, 2019

There's of course the whole father/son cliche thing but Liar Liar makes the most out of its simple plot thanks to Jim Carrey's gleefully over-the-top performance and a script loaded with laughter making this a hysterical comedy with a touch of fantasy.

• Aug 02, 2019

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Great comedy, Jim Carrey shines in this one.

• Jun 13, 2019

Liar Liar offers Carrey a perfect platform to showcase his comedy schtick. An amusing, yet sweet premise about a lawyer and a father who can't lie. The story is a little light, but we'd be lying if we said it wasn't hilarious.

• Apr 26, 2019

"Liar Liar" released in 1997 follows Fletcher, a self-righteous lawyer whose son's only birthday wish is for his dad to not tell a lie for one day. I truly love this movie and always have. It's such a great bad guy become good guy tale and I think that the set-up and evolution is spot on. The film fits perfectly into Jim Carrey's heyday of comedy. It is outrageous, but heartfelt, as I feel all of Jim Carrey's comedic films are. There isn't anything I wish they did differently. My favorite scene in terms of directing was when Fletcher comes into the boardroom to tell Mr. Allen what he really thinks of him, there's this great shot of everyone at the table all looking over to Fletcher and it's a great perspective shot of how intimidating the situation is. Regarding the writing, I truly enjoyed the set-up for Fletcher's lying ways. Within the first 5 minutes we are able to see how self-involved he is and what a schmoozer he is, as well as have a scene between Fletcher and his ex-wife where she reveals that they broke up because Fletcher cheated on her. It's such a great jumping off point for the rest of the film. I particularly enjoyed the scene editing-wise where Fletcher is coming out of the elevator and everyone in the elevator is fanning their noses. There's this great sequence between Jim Carrey admitting his fault and everyone gasping for air that's wonderful. The pacing between both shots is so well timed and just makes the scene so much more comedic and enjoyable. A great aspect of the film is that there's so many wonderful characters. Obviously, Jim Carrey is stellar as Fletcher, and is unbeatable in his physical ability as an actor, but the woman who plays the mom is such a wonderful counterpart as the "straight man" Audrey. A great example of this is Audrey's attempt to explain "the claw" to jerry and she's so unsure of what she's doing where when Fletcher does it it's this huge thing and he gets really into it. I hate to admit, the sound design in the film wasn't my favorite. An example of this is when Fletcher has his first meeting with Mrs. Cole and says, "No no no no," and the last no is a bigger spike and presents a break in the audio. In fact, any instance where the characters raise their voices ends up breaking the audio which to me, seems to be characteristic of the time period that audio quality wasn't as great then. Cinematography-wise I enjoyed the scene after Max makes his wish for his dad to not tell a lie. There is this slow pan through the room of the open window, and the smoke from the candles, and the clock. It adds to the set-up and mystery of max's wish for his dad not to tell a lie

• Apr 17, 2019

This movie holds on just on the genius of Jim Carrey. Nothing have any sense, just that guy genius

• Mar 14, 2019

The touching side of this film is typical but the unique premise and Carrey's perfect casting makes it a hilarious experience.

• Mar 04, 2019

Jim Carrey at his finest

Jim Carrey at his finest

• Feb 03, 2019

Basically a jim carrey standup routine with a movie somewhere in the background.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Jan 02, 2019

A great comedy filled with brilliant storytelling and with Jim Carrey added you have got a film that every comedy lover should watch