Liar Liar Reviews

• Jul 29, 2020

I have loved Liar Liar for decades. It came out when Jim Carrey was still at the top of his game, and was a massive box office draw. While goofy things like Ace Ventura and The Mask made him popular, I think that this film is the ultimate example of what he can do as an actor. This movie allows him to have those unhinged moments, but gives an explanation for his insanity that makes it feel relatable instead of idiotic. I love the more heartfelt moments that he includes in the movie as well. He never feels like he’s faking it when he’s with his son and ex-wife, despite the fact that a few scenes earlier he was flopping around on the ground simply because he couldn’t say the color of his pen. The film has a charm that makes it feel authentic even though the premise is crazy, and most of the sane characters would try to have him committed if this were the real world. One of the things I appreciate most in Liar Liar is that it is one of the rare films about a workaholic father that actually makes you feel like he is in the wrong. Typically these movies make it seem like the father is bad simply because he’s dedicated to his work and doesn’t want to sit at home all day playing with his children (as if work and income are instantly evil.) But in Liar Liar we see a father who is genuinely neglectful, who can’t keep his promises to his son, and who will completely blow him off for lousy reasons. It makes the transformation by the end more satisfying and is one of the rare times where “maybe I should quit and start my own firm” actually feels like a good solution. It also helps to have Cary Elwes in the film as the stark contrast because he is the type of father-figure young Max could use. However, I am able to recognize that Liar Liar isn’t a perfect movie. There are many things that go on which would never be accepted in an actual courtroom, or even in an ordinary office. You have to accept that in some ways this is all taking place in a heightened reality separate from our own so that a man can rant and rave without serious repercussions. The tone of the film can also get a little saccharine at times. It’s funny, because Cary Elwes’ character is mocked for being too square and cheesy, but the movie falls into the same trap at times. Also, Justin Cooper was not a good child actor. There are some important story points handled by this kid, and he is on par with Jake Lloyd in the Phantom Menace. But I am immune to noticing these flaws when I watch Liar Liar, because I’m too busy laughing at it all. This movie never fails to put a big goofy smile on my face.

• Jul 24, 2020

Kind of a dumb movie. ABSOLUTELY worth watching for Jimbo’s performance. Also, it does have heart.

• Jul 17, 2020

Hilarious at times, but sickeningly sweet at others.

Hilarious at times, but sickeningly sweet at others.

• Jul 16, 2020

Despite a silly plot and a narrative with too much sentimentalism, Jim Carrey's appealing talent in physical humor makes for a truly hilarious viewing experience.

• Jul 07, 2020

Jim Carrey's best work in comedy. The film is also really charming.

Jim Carrey's best work in comedy. The film is also really charming.

• Jun 21, 2020

An incredibly funny movie to where it is my second favorite Jim Carrey film, and has aged very well.

• Jun 05, 2020

Jim Carrey is given leeway to be his typical weird and wild self, but within the boundaries of a serious issue. Paper-thin plot, however an enjoyable film.

• May 17, 2020

It's typical Jim Carrey. Everything is rather over the top. He's a ridiculous lunatic most of the time. There's some laughs. It's a decent time.

• May 15, 2020

One of Jim Carrey's best movies from the 90s. There are a lot of laughs and this movie is still funny to this day.

• May 13, 2020