Liberty Heights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Liberty Heights Reviews

February 23, 2015
This was a pretty good movie, but it needed something more to make it great. I liked it, but I did not love it. The best parts of this movie were the scenes with Ben and Sylvia; they really brought the film to life.
July 14, 2014
Perhaps Levinson's last hurrah, 'Heights' is sweet, understated and even cheeky. Of course, aside from a great cast of charismatic youngsters, the film pulls off a fine balancing act of teen romance with statements about social and racial affairs of the time.
July 12, 2014
always a good way to spend the night throwback
½ March 5, 2014
Great coming of age story.
August 27, 2013
I had no idea that there was a religion other than the Christian one until I saw this movie when I was around 10 or so. Never took anything into consideration until this movie broadened my eyes. Watching it again brings back cherished memories. Good stuff!!
½ June 10, 2013
worth watching for the characters.
December 7, 2012
May watch...
½ November 15, 2012
Another excellent Baltimore flick from the director of "Diner", "Avalon" and "Rain Man".
½ November 13, 2012
Enjoyable 50's coming of age tale.
September 11, 2012
Some nice moments, but weak overall. Not one of Levinson's best.
½ August 30, 2012
Film originale e e particolare su una famiglia di ebrei negli anni '50. Non saprei dire molto di piu'.
January 5, 2012
Barry Levinson's Liberty Heights uses 1950s Baltimore as the backdrop for a semi-autobiographical coming-of-age story about youth and race relations in the years before the civil rights movement really took off. What is interesting is how Levinson plays with not just black-white relationships, but the stratified and arbitrary nature of "whiteness" (Jew/Gentile, Catholic/Protestant) within the larger picture of black-white tension.
The real standout here is Ben Foster, whose debut is stunning in its charming naivete; Foster plays Ben, the youngest of two sons whose father's business dealings may be shadier than meets the eye. There is a genuineness to the film that makes the characters sympathetic even from their various points on the era's social hierarchy. The older brother, Van (Adrien Brody, who is also very good here), falls for a blonde haired, blue eyed, rich girl, but neither she nor her on-again, off-again boyfriend are played as simple caricatures or villains. The only real weak spot in the film is Orlando Jones' character, Little Melvin, a gangster whose only purpose among an ensemble of complex characters is to move the plot forward. More than that, his performance is comic and over-the-top, out of step with the tone the other actors are playing at. Levinson also does a fine job of recreating the era; the costumes, cars, and music are a real joy.
Ultimately, the film is less about race and making comments on race than it is about exploring how discovering and creating one's place in the world is an essential component of growing up. I particularly enjoy the ending of the film, a light touch without being saccharine, and funny without being cynical. This is a film that plays nicely with something like Stand By Me.
December 9, 2011
The worst of Levinston.
August 22, 2011
This is flawless filmmaking. Great storytelling and superb acting. 'Liberty Heights' is the movie 'Crash' wanted to be. The movie deals with race relations with intelligence. However, you know when the cinematographer is one Christopher Doyle the highlight of the movie is going to be the photography. It's impossible to look away when a true artist is saturating us with vibrant colours and wonderful compositions. It's beautiful, you can empty a thesaurus praising Doyle.
November 14, 2010
Very good. Well done in all ways. Interesting social look back at 1950's in Baltimore.
November 10, 2010
loved, lots of interacial tension, concepts of obsolete and new @ da time, eye candy everywhere, all star cast, adrian brody, ben foster, oh mischa collins, my boo, orlando jones, setting 50's style, and the integration w/jews + blacks, need my own copy..
½ September 18, 2010
The cast is what shines in this 1950's time-piece about an upper-middle class Jewish family living in a suburb of Baltimore.
August 27, 2010
Wryly amusing look at race and minority relations in 1950s Baltimore. Nicely set with likable characters.