Licence To Kill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Licence To Kill Reviews

½ July 23, 2017
Licence to Kill in 1989 is dissapionting. Timothy Dalton as Bond is disappointing. the bond girl is boring, the villain Franz Sanchez is good though, all of the other villains are dissapionting and M, why is he so annoyed at Bond, Q is best in this film and Moneypenny has one line, why? the plot which is about bond going rogue because Sanchez nearly killed his best friend Felix, it is a good plot but the way they did it was not good. The gunbarrel and pre title sequence is amazing, the score is by a different composer and it is fantastic. the script and jokes are terrible and why is this movie a 15 it should be an 12A not a 15. the highlights of the movie is the villain, Q, the gunbarrel, pre title sequence, the Licence to kill main song and the stunt with the truck where it goes on its side.

Cast:

Miss Moneypenny: Caroline Bliss
Q: Desmond Llewelyn
M: Robert Brown
July 3, 2017
This to me is one of the best bond film ever a this is Timothy dalton's best prefromace as James Bond
June 26, 2017
In my opinion this is the better of the two Dalton movies. It's darker, it has a better villain and Timothy Dalton has a good performance.

8.2/10
June 20, 2017
James Bond is suspended and goes after a Columbian drug lord who murdered his best friend. Not really a good Bond movie. The death scenes play like its a "B" movie slasher flick. The double romance is really horribly done. Terrible.
June 10, 2017
this is the second best Bond film ever Tim was a very good bond and tried to take the franchise down a more realist gritty road but the audience at the time would not give him a chance i always loved this film and its a shame that after this we got rem/bond with Peirce Brosnan those film were crap like all the Roger Moore ones were and I don't like Seans go at the character either as the misogyny in those film makes me want to scream
June 5, 2017
Starts with a powerful set-up for a more personal Bond tale, but is ultimately subsumed into a standard Bond formula that often forces the humour, romance and action beats where they don't fit. What we get is nonetheless entertaining, it has perhaps too many moving parts and doesn't always focus on the more interesting of them. What elevates proceedings is that Dalton makes a great Bond. The story does allow him to show many sides of the character and the set-up is paid off in his scenes with the villain; his confrontations with what would otherwise be a fairly unmemorable foe, at least by the flamboyant standards of the series, become electric due the personal stakes and the acting by both Dalton and Davi. A missed opportunity to explore a 007 who is truly off the radar and off the rails is ultimately recused by being solid Bond, just as long as you weren't expecting more.
May 23, 2017
Licence To Kill has proven to be one of the more controversial Bond films and people who applauded Dalton's debut as the secret service agent usually don't like this film. Conversely, people who like Licence To Kill usually don't like The Living Daylights. The film represents more direct involvement from Dalton and the silly humour is gone as are the ludicrous villains. The villain in this movie is a nasty drug lord Franz Sanchez (Robert Davi) who has just been captured by Bond and his CIA buddy Felix Leiter (Played by David Hedison, in a reprise of his role from Live And Let Die). In spectacular fashion, Bond and Felix parachute down to the latter's wedding before the opening titles. What follows is a grisly story of drugs, crime and revenge. When Sanchez escapes, he murders Leiter's new bride and has him maimed in a shark tank. Upon finding the bride and Leiter with the bloodied note "He disagreed with something that ate him", Dalton's acting chops come to the fore in one of the film's most emotive scenes. The plot is very straight forward this time. Revenge is the key motivation for Bond and he will do anything in his power (including leaving the secret service, posing as an ally of Sanchez and disrupting his organisation by setting up his circle of friends). Among these friends are Anthony Zerbe as Milton Crest, a character taken from the Fleming short story The Hildebrand Rarity, and Benicio Del Toro as Sanchez's right hand man Dario. Although some of the characters and situations in this film resemble those from Scarface, this movie doesn't have the same slickness and style to it. The action is fantastic, the truck chases in particular and Cary Lowell is a smart, sexy and empowered Bond girl but the movie doesn't have the razzle dazzle one expects from the franchise. It is dark and gritty with a suitable Latin-flavoured score from Michael Kamen but the violence makes it almost indistinguishable from other action movies of the day. So what essentially has happened here is that Timothy Dalton and director John Glenn have made Bond more 'realistic' and 'believable' but it has been at the expense of the style, charm and humour that set the films apart in the first place. This was the end of the line for Bond in many ways and another rethink was required. By 1994, this reviewer made a point of renting this movie simply because it looked like it was probably the last. I was pleasantly surprised by the accent on story and championed it for quite some time. In hindsight and especially against the return of slicker, stylish Bond films, it does seem like a timely experiment but the approach was divisive.
April 27, 2017
This is the the 16th part to the first James bound series. This is a great movie. It is better then all the James bound movies made before it. The 17th James Bound movie Golden eye is better.
½ April 9, 2017
The sixteenth James Bond film, and last for Timothy Dalton as 007. It is also the fifth and final Bond directed by John Glen (For Your Eyes Only/Octopussy/A View to a Kill/The Living Daylights).

On CIA agent Felix Leiter's (David Hedison , in his second stint in the role, the first being Live and Let Die) wedding day, he and Bond capture drug lord Franz Sanchez (Robert Davi), who then escapes and kills Leiter's new wife Della (Priscill Barnes), and takes Felix's leg by feeding him to a shark. 007 then ignores M's (Robert Brown) warning to not go after Sanchez, and embarks on a personal vendetta that causes him to have his license to kill revoked by MI6. Having now become a rogue agent, Bond tracks Sanchez to his base of operations in South America with the help of a beautiful CIA pilot, Pam Bouvier (Carey Lowell) and the one and only Q (Desmond Llewelyn).

This is the first Bond film to receive a "PG-13" rating, and it is also one of the most serious 007 adventures ever. But, overall this film disappoints in every way. Dalton, once again is way too hard edged for Bond, Robert Davi is adequate in the main villain role, but nothing special. Carey Lowell is very forgettable as the main Bond girl. And Desmond Llewelyn's "Q" is the best part of the film. Other notable secondary characters are a young Benicio Del Toro and the ever charismatic Wayne Newton.

Even the lackluster "Living Daylights" is better then this 007 outing. After three straight sub par Bond films in a row, the franchise had grown stale and would not return for another six years.
February 25, 2017
One of the most UNDERRATED action movies of all time by far! Timothy Dalton is on fire, playing a more broken, ridged, and darker bond. Violent and awesome, every thing a bond movie should be.
½ February 18, 2017
Another Ok entry for Dalton's final Bond.

The story takes a quick left from traditional Bond territory - here Bond is a Groomsman heading to a hidden oasis with the wedding party when trouble shows up, and the bride is killed and the groom left for dead, so 007 gets angry and takes his license to kill a bit beyond his usual limits.
An odd storyline for a Bond flick made worse by a lesser film quality - their oasis appears ratty and sparse instead of the usual lush and exotic Bond settings we've come to expect.
That lack of quality seems to pervade the movie.
Altho Dalton steps up his Bond to display a more overt anger - which is miles above the almost phoned-in, half-hearted first attempt at Bond in Living Daylights - he really carries this film as well as possible considering the lack of visual pizzazz here.

Sadly, I found both of Dalton's Bond stories to be rather routine and somewhat forgettable - save for the exciting Jeep-top opening sequence of Daylights.

The overall attempt to make Bond a relatable 80s character thru Dalton backfired for me bc it made him seem more common instead of the fantasy character that Connery, Lazemby and Moore all handled with aplomb. Even Moore's over-the-top plots gave him reason to eyeroll along with us, so we could still relate to him.

I felt bored by Dalton's smug, almost Ben Affleck quality.
The cheap feel of the movie, and lackluster Bond story almost ruined it for me. This one doesn't hold up well either.

2.5 out of 5
February 11, 2017
Timothy Dalton was underestimated as Bond in my opinion. He made the character so much more human than his predecessors. I loved that he showed his feelings on his friends being attacked. The only off putting sequence to me in the whole film, is at the end when he was talking to the hospitalized Felix Leiter, and Lester was able to laugh and says "we'll do some fishing". Most unrealistic part, just saying.
½ January 28, 2017
Not quite as memorable as Mr. Dalton's first film in the series but it is never the less a better than average Bond film.
January 5, 2017
Licence To Kill (1989) ??? 007 goes rogue, setting off to find man responsible for hurting personal friend. That same man also happens to be a dangerous drug lord. Timothy Dalton's second outing for secret agent is much more vigorous (and therefore has less old-time Ian Fleming panache), but is completely absorbing; largely benefiting from great stunts, exotic locations, high adventure. A must for action fans.
January 4, 2017
160305: 16th Bond Film. Sky diving to your wedding? Wheelie popping semi-trucks? Yes, the nonsense I've always hated so much continues. Other than a couple pretty faces, Lowell & Soto; and ugly, Del Toro & Davi; not much to see here. As I'm progressing forward in time, I still hold out hope that, one day, a James Bond film will really appeal to me.
November 21, 2016
it's okay still not amazing story is so so action scenes are great though
November 15, 2016
11/12/2016: Meh. It wasn't horrible, but not real good either.
November 7, 2016
Gritty, violent and taken more seriously; a precursor to what we'd see in the Daniel Craig era.
½ July 28, 2016
6.5 out of 10:

Despite some slow moments and it's a bit too violent for a normal classic Bond film, License to Kill still has some pretty good action scenes.
July 27, 2016
Again, on the long side but no longer than the others. There are some nice explosions of oil trucks and some gruesome deaths. Not terrible.