Like Father Reviews

• Mar 31, 2019

Heart warming and joyous. The kind of relaxed movie to watch on s Sunday evening

• Mar 10, 2019

Like Father 7.6/10 I got extremely excited when I saw Kristen Bell had a movie coming out on Netflix and almost immediately watched it. While the movie is painful to watch for the first 30 minutes, it manages to move past that and turn into a very good movie! It manages to avoid tropes about daughters/fathers reconnecting after a long-time and was very heart-warming at the same time. Nice performances by Kristen Bell and Kelsey Grammer anchor this movie, and Seth Rogen is fantastic in a limited supporting role. Overall, it's a pretty great movie (especially for a Netflix produced movie). Watch it!

• Mar 05, 2019

"Like Father" is an okay movie overall, but it doesn't do anything new for this premise. I only found some enjoyment in it because I thought Kristen Bell and Kelsey Grammer gave solid performances and their characters were handled well. In terms of the story and premise, it feels pretty bland. I saw exactly where this movie was heading and it lacks any real complexity. It's a decent feel-good movie that isn't particularly bad, but it's also far from being great. Nothing about it makes it worth seeking out, but it's not the type of movie I regretted watching either. It's a typical average movie that's fine for a one time watch.

• Feb 16, 2019

Slow, boring, predictable plot. Stereotypical characters. Terrible acting. It was awful.

• Feb 10, 2019

Strengths: First time director Lauren Miller Rogen does a good job in her first film. She gets strong performances out of her cast and tells a solid little story with the greatest of ease. She makes sure we get a good sense of the beautiful scenery on the cruise where most of the film takes place. Kelsey Grammer (Harry Hamilton) isnï¿ 1/2(TM)t someone Iï¿ 1/2(TM)m a big fan of. I was never into Fraiser or Cheers, but I enjoyed him in this. We can see his pain throughout the film, but also get a feel for how much he cares for his daughter. Kristen Bell (Rachel Hamilton) gives some of the best work of her career. She shares so many dramatic scenes with her dad that she nails. The crying she does at the waterfall and her flying off the handle when she thinks her dad is after her money are the two standouts. The supporting cast, led by Seth Rogen (Jeff) , did a nice job of adding comic relief to a story that is ultimately highly emotional. The musical number near the end is a nice heartwarming moment and I appreciated how Rachel nearly goes back to her workaholic ways by the conclusion. It almost makes you feel like she failed in learning anything, only to switch it up at the very end. Weaknesses: The plot is certainly not anything new. From the arc of a workaholic learning to focus more on their personal life and less on their job to the relationship between a father and daughter being repaired, this movie doesnï¿ 1/2(TM)t really tread any new ground. For the most part, you know whatï¿ 1/2(TM)s coming. A lot of the characters are kind of stereotypical. It just so happens that our two main characters get sat at a table with three couples who are elderly, gay, and black, and all king of just fit generic roles. Overall: 2018 had a lot of good, but just not quite great movies. This was a good movie led by strong acting. Worth checking out, though not something you need to own or see more than once.

• Feb 09, 2019

Kelsey Grammer plays an absentee dad seeking redemption from his adult workaholic daughter. They end up going on a cruise she was supposed to go on with her runaway groom, so the film is not a rom-com, but more of a dram-com about them seeking neutral ground and figuring out how to move forward. There are some great supporting actors (Seth Rogen, e.g.) who play the fellow guests on the cruise ship that provide much needed comic relief on what is otherwise an impossibly tough situation--a man who abandoned his daughter when she was five but now wants to do the right thing. It wasn't spectacular, but it kept my attention on a Saturday morning.

• Jan 24, 2019

A both witty and dramatic story that was well-presented on screen. I thoroughly enjoyed Kristen Bell and Kelsey Grammer's performances

• Jan 12, 2019

I mean... it was... cute.

I mean... it was... cute.

• Jan 06, 2019

Just a big ad for Royal Caribbean. Donï¿ 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)t watch this movie it is a total waste of time.

• Jan 01, 2019

While the plot is admittedly a bit cliche, I really enjoyed the way Bell and Grammar interacted on screen. That coupled with the gorgeous settings made for an emotional, easy to understand watch.