Like Stars on Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Like Stars on Earth Reviews

June 28, 2017
I'm not always a fan of the Bollywood style of filmmaking: overrun with musical montages and exaggerated dialogue and acting. But 'Like Stars on Earth' is a magical film about the magnificent abilities that children have, even when all the odds are against them. With a story as powerful as this one, it doesn't matter where or how the story is told.

Luckily, most of the Bollywood clichés actually enhance the film experience. Being such an integral part of the story, the soundtrack and score complement the film wonderfully. Each song aligning nicely with the film's dramatic but hopeful tone. Admittedly, having a rap song play over Ishaan's family getting dressed and ready for the day is a bit jarring, but the songs that play after Aamir Khan appear are nothing short of enchanting.

This film is about a dyslexic child who has basically given up on school as no one seems to think he's worth anything. His father beats him for goofing off and all of his teachers scold him for not being able to do the simplest of tasks. So, Ishaan finds his way to a boarding school where he meets Ram Shankar Nikumbh (Aamir Khan) who may change his life forever. Everybody had that teacher who changed the way you approached school and perhaps even life itself, which is why I thought this movie was so effective. There's nothing more gratifying than watching someone struggling to find their way, only to have one uniquely suited person put them back on track.

It seems so simple but coming from a teaching background, I'll be the first person to say that it can be nearly impossible to connect with someone who doesn't want any help. However, when and if that connection is made, it's possibly the most fulfilling thing a person can do. Aamir Khan captures these emotions perfectly near the end of Like Stars on Earth. I don't think I'll ever get the image of Ishaan's father breaking down into tears out of my head. There's some really powerful stuff here.

8.6/10
June 24, 2017
Wow..! Extraordinary Indian Picture..Big salute to Aamir Khan and team..You will never regret to watch "n" number of times. Thank you
December 18, 2016
An emotionally gripping story, a great cast and even humourous moments allow Like Stars on Earth to be both a truly memorable Bollywood film that even people who don't watch a lot of Bollywood movies ought to enjoy and a film that manages to live up to its subtitle, Every Child is Special.
October 22, 2016
5/5 Ratings for Taare Zameen Par
F: 89%
R: 11%
Science Drama
½ July 19, 2016
Seen this film countless times. It is the best film of the modern age. Darsheel (as the little boy) is captivating.
Having seen the lack of education and awareness on the topic of the film first hand in Asia, this is not only an emotional powerhouse of a movie but a hugely important one.
Terrifically made by Amir Khan.
A must see. If you have never seen a bollywood film before, make this your first.
½ May 24, 2016
You can always expect a level of corniness to teacher/student movies like this. Thought with Aamir Khan at the helm, all those pratfalls seem to just wash over you.
April 4, 2016
Inspiring movie to watch and one of the best movies I have ever watched.
March 29, 2016
A great, inspiring movie.
December 2, 2015
It could be tighter but Taare Zameen Par is an emotional film with a satisfying conclusion.
November 8, 2015
There is no doubt that this is a film with excellent intentions and is well worth a watch even at nearly 3 hours long. I just wish that the Indians could make some films without all the singing and dancing and zany comedy characters. They always try to fit too much into their films and, for me, it doesn't settle well. It dilutes the strong message a bit.
½ September 29, 2015
love this movie made me cry
September 18, 2015
One of the best movie.
September 13, 2015
Yes, this is a musical about overcoming dyslexia, but it's also about nurturing creativity and the pressure that the culture of success has put on children
Taare Zameen Par is such a beautiful story about a young Indian boy struggling in Mumbai to fit into society. It's not just about dislexia. It's how parents and teachers should properly treat their children and to not judge them by their covers. Darsheel truly shines as Ishaan. He's just adorable and innocent. The whole story evolves around him so he carries the whole film on his shoulders essentially.
September 6, 2015
'Like Stars On Earth' is literally about how "every child is special" and shows exactly how our education systems could be changed for the better. A very simple story at heart - a troubled, but mostly happy boy, Ishaan (Safary) is sent to boarding school for misbehaving, when all he needed was a little extra help, once it's identified he has dyslexia by his new teacher, Ram (Khan). A few too many musical numbers - but hey, it is a Bollywood film! - and probably a little too long in the set-up. However, it's well worth the 2 & a half hours, with some very touching moments and a great ending.
½ August 15, 2015
hands down the ONLY good Bollywood film ever.
½ May 25, 2015
Great movie overall that shines a light on the challenges of dyslexia. I'd recommend checking out the wikipedia page where you'll see that this movie actually made a significant positive impact on the awareness of dyslexia and also catalyzed some policy reforms regarding the way the Indian education system addressed dyslexia.
April 12, 2015
"Awesome" is the only word i can write as my heart is full of tears. A must watch movie for all. Excellent work by Aamir and especially little "Darsheel Safary"..a break from crappy hollywood sci-fi larger than life movies!

#You_Beauty
February 9, 2015
A bit too long for such a story, and a tad unneven considering all the sad, happy, and bizzarre moments it has, but ultimately heart warming and a note to every student, teacher, parent, and any other person who doesnt quite see the true beauty in things and is too deep in the strict society the modern ages has us trapped on.
December 25, 2014
It's one of those films which could change your perspective forever.