Logan Lucky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Logan Lucky Reviews

February 17, 2018
Even after reading the plot synopsis I didn't really know what this movie was supposed to be about. But, with a cast like this one, it had to be interesting, if not good. It turned out much better than I expected. Channing Tatum is still largely himself (guy with troubles trying to make it), Kylo Ren not destroying everything around him, and Daniel Craig as a bizarre convict. How does that go wrong?

It doesn't. Definitely worth a viewing. Maybe don't buy though. I'm not sure how many times anyone would want to watch it.
February 16, 2018
A good heist movie, just hearing Daniel Craig speak with a Virginia accent makes it worth your time...
½ February 16, 2018
Comedic masterpiece with amazing performances all-round!
February 14, 2018
Being from West Virginia, I dig the love this movie shows it. Its not often that is the case in pop culture, and it honestly is greatly appreciated. The movie is funny and crazy entertaining, with a slow build intensity that makes sure you never want to take your eyes off screen. The cast is so damn good, especially Adam Driver. This is one of those movies I could watch over and over and not get tired of it. I've missed Soderbergh.
February 13, 2018
Think of it as the redneck version of Ocean's 11. Same director, still a heist movie, a lot of the same tropes and plot points, except everyone in it is dirt poor and they're robbing a Nascar event. This spin on the heist formula does lead to a lot of fun. There's one scene I love where they outright pause in the middle of the heist so their explosives guy can explain to the two brothers who probably didn't even finish high school exactly how his plan will work. Like most heist movies, I liked it, it was fun. It's not perfect, but it's fun. There are a few questions that are raised by their plan, and when they do the classic bit at the end of revealing how everything actually worked out even though it looked like it didn't it does still leave a few questions unanswered. Also Hilary Swank shows up a federal agent at the end of the movie and I don't know what she was trying to do but she is embarrassingly awful. Other than those bits though, the overall experience is one that's fun but overall a bit disposable. It's a likable movie with likable actors playing enjoyable characters and an other-side-of-the-tracks spin on the heist formula.
February 13, 2018
Logan Lucky
(2017)

Plot:
Jimmy Logan (Channing Tatum) is from a blue-collar family from the hills of West Virginia, whose clan has been famous for its bad luck for nearly 90 years. After being fired from his job, and with his ex-wife (Katie Holmes) threatening to move out of State taking their daughter with her, Jimmy decides he has to do something to get his family's life back on track. With a little help from his brother Clyde Logan (Adam Driver), his sister Mellie (Riley Keough) and an incarcerated explosive expert, the aptly named Joe Bang (Daniel Craig), he plans to steal $14 million from the Charlotte Motor Speedway on the busiest race day of the year.

Review:
I was really looking forward to watching this movie, after seeing the crazy adverts with Daniel Craig, and the impressive cast but I was extremely disappointed with the outcome. It takes way too long to get going, and the heist made them look like a bunch of dumb criminals but the relationship between Jimmy Logan (Channing Tatum) and his daughter was quite emotional. The ending was cleverly put together by the director but after watching nearly 2 hours of the movie, I lost interest. Anyway, the film is about an upcoming football player, Jimmy Logan, who is forced to become a miner after getting injured. Now separated from his High School sweetheart, Bobbie (Katie Holmes), he regularly sees there little girl Sadie (Farrah Mackenzie), who lives with Bobbie and her new husband. After getting sacked from work, Jimmy puts together a plan to rob the Charlotte Motorway Speedway during a NASCAR Race, with his brother Clyde (Adam Driver) and sister Mellie (Riley Keough). They soon realise that they need a safe expert to get to the money, so they hire Joe Bang (Daniel Craig) for the job but the only problem is..... he's in jail. With time against them, Jimmy and Clyde manage to break Clyde out of jail for the duration of the heist, with the help of other inmates but the robbery doesn't go according to plan. Without the rest of the crew knowing, the Logan brothers cooked up there own secret plan to make sure everything goes smoothly but they have to lay low because the cops are hot on there tail. I must admit, it is a unique storyline, done in the theme of a Oceans Eleven movie but the characters were doing strange and crazy things throughout the movie, which made the heist feel ridiculous and unrealistic. The only aspect of the storyline which I could take seriously was the morals behind the heist, from Jimmy's point of view but it all seemed a bit too easy to me. From an entertainment point of view, you just want them to get on with it, especially after such a big build up, and when they eventually attempt the heist the whole plan seemed a right mess. Anyway, I wasn't that impressed with the movie but I'm sure there's people out there that would have enjoyed it. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
After retiring from directing movies, Steven Soderbergh, 55, decides to direct this movie, after being so impressed with the script. He first directed Access All Areas in 1985 and then he returned to make Sex, Lies and Videotape in 1989. He also brought you Out of Sight, Erin Brockovich, Traffic, the Oceans Eleven franchise, Solaris, The Good German, Che, The Informant, Contagion, Haywire, Magic Mike, Side Effects and Behind the Candelabra, which have all made him a big player in Hollywood. In this movie you don't really get to see true genius behind the storyline until the very end, when the true story unfolds, which is just like his Ocean movies when he reveals how the heists truly took place. It was good to see Daniel Craig out of his Speedo's and sharp suits, and it was also good to see Channing Tatum as an everyday working father, without stripping of his clothes on stage, so from that point of view, the director showed a different side of the actors but it wasn't enough to save the film. I'm still not sure what the ending meant, when the officer walked into the bar but with that aside, it's a straight forward heist movie which gets the thumbs down from me.

Budget: $29million
Worldwide Gross: $47.4million

Genre: Comedy, Crime, Drama
Cast: Daniel Craig, Channing Tatum, Katie Holmes, Adam Driver, Seth MacFarlane, Jim O'Heir, Riley Keough, Rebecca Koon, David Denman, Eric Perez, Katherine Waterston, Jack Quaid, Brian Gleeson and Hilary Swank. 4/10
February 12, 2018
Thought it will be a fun Red Neck take on Ocean's 11. Turns out to be a Red Neck take of Magoo heisting.
½ February 12, 2018
Logan Lucky is a really entertaining movie with Channing Tatum, Adam Driver and Daniel Craig! Daniel Craig is the most interesting in this funny movie! A must see film with the style and wit of the Ocean's trilogy!
½ February 12, 2018
This film has just about the best caper plot of all time, it is funny, engaging and every one involved looks to be having a great time. If you like cheering for the underdogs sit back and enjoy the ride!
February 12, 2018
Good movie from Soderbergh, not my favourite though.
February 11, 2018
DRAGGED, really slow at times with lots of scenes extended beyond reason and parts that seem unnecessary. some parts were very funny, but not enough to make this an enjoyable experience (1 viewing)
½ February 11, 2018
great story executed with style. obvious play but epic delivery.
½ February 11, 2018
Fairly entertaining and satisfyingly scripted.
February 10, 2018
A very clever movie, about an impossible robery
February 9, 2018
The redneck version of Ocean's Eleven with Channing Tatum playing the lead Clooney role. Not bad, was a bit strange seeing a yeehaw version of James Bond here. I give this a passing grade.
½ February 9, 2018
Entertaining heist flick!

I loved Craig in this. It?s nice seeing him in a completely different role.

[7/10]
February 8, 2018
Though the movie has surprising comedic turns from Adam driver and Daniel Craig and is very well directed, the movie fails do deliver a good screenplay giving a very mediocre movie filled with cliche and some laughs, but the laughs it does give are genuine
February 6, 2018
Logan Lucky não é um filme desprovido de erros, mas acerta em vários elementos e tem como maior virtude, o seu texto.
February 5, 2018
yeah this was good; i didn't love it, but it was well written & well acted. a lot more big name actors in this than i was expecting.
February 5, 2018
The hillbilly-version of Oceans Eleven.