Lord of War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lord of War Reviews

January 29, 2017
Very interesting and it shows Nicolas Cage can still delivery a good performance even if his movies lately haven't been well.......good except for this film. B
December 25, 2016
If only this movie had been directed by Quentin Tarantino, just Imagine the possibilities.
December 5, 2016
The last good film from Cage before he went sour. It's a one of a kind story. But somehow, whenever I watch this, there's a depressing feeling about it.
November 25, 2016
not a fan of cage. this is worth watching
½ November 18, 2016
great movie with a great story and good directing. lots of clever dialogue. makes you think about how things work in the world. good characters and some funny parts. reminded me of wardogs a lot (2 viewings)
September 20, 2016
One of the last great performances Nicolas Cage delivered before starting to act in crappy movies. Andrew Niccol is always a great certainty anyway.
August 29, 2016
best film nick cage has stared in since face off
August 16, 2016
This movie wasn't bad.
August 4, 2016
One of the best anti-hero films I have ever seen. Beat "War Dogs" to the punch by eleven years.
½ July 30, 2016
Typically I believe that Cage movies should be assessed in their own category, but given the substantial production value of this movie and the plethora of other stars participating, I will relent and consider this a non-Cage movie. That being said, it is awful. Despite having tons of spectacular Cage-isms like satellite phones, his and his brother's completely un-acted Russian ethnicity, a cover job as an art dealer, a scene where he asks an African prostitute if she has AIDS and perhaps the most ridiculous Cage scene of all in which he repaints the name of a ship in something like 23 seconds, this movie is an absolute abortion. I dare say, poorly acted by Cage; Hawke legitimately seems afraid to be in the film and Jared Leto performs a predictably pathetic and hapless brother to Cage. God bless you, Nicolas Coppola, but he did not bless this film.
July 19, 2016
Very underrated in it's rights, but Jaredo Leto should have been five times better in his performance.
July 18, 2016
Andrew Niccol delivers as he always does.
July 7, 2016
Didn't really think much of it, brillant story and ideas for a great film. The cast has it stars but not right felt fraudulent and at times just ridilicilous.
June 25, 2016
Pretty nifty story - don't know about the casting choices though.
June 20, 2016
I love this one! Funny, cynical, mad, beautiful. Nicolas Cage at his very, very best. The opening title sequence is epic.
½ June 18, 2016
Filme excelente. Não tem ação nenhuma e mesmo assim você não quer desgrudar. Bem pesado....a trilha sonora é fantástica.
April 11, 2016
Man this movie surprised me. I saw the ads when this first came out and thought "meh, just another weird Nic Cage movie." Well, I was partly right I guess, but it's a helluva' lot better than I thought it would be. It reminded me a lot of War Inc., a movie that is far from perfect, but which I still really enjoy. It's has a satirical edge to it, but doesn't shy away from darker moments. Still it has an energy to it that makes the dreary subject matter much more enjoyable while still treating it with respect. It introduces a world that I knew existed, but never really thought much about, and makes it approachable and entertaining while still shocking and potent.
The movie isn't perfect though. If it had gone a little further, little darker, little edgier, it could have been a classic. As it stands it's still a good movie, but let's face it, it's not one a lot of people think about 10 years later. Part of that I think has to do with director Andrew Niccol. He's an amazing writer, and has some great scripts with great ideas, but his best scripts have been handled by a different director. The movies he directs himself are interesting, but can't help but feeling a little Hollywood manufactured and pedestrian. If he had handed this script over to someone like Oliver Stone or Martin Scorcese, it could have been a masterpiece. As it stands I do really like the movie, but I can't help but wish for the masterpiece it could have been. But don't take that as too much of a negative! It's a really interesting and enjoyable movie even if it doesn't reach the heights it could have.
½ April 10, 2016
The acting was cringeworthy. Particularly Nicolas Cage. The end point of the movie was good & true, but it could have been done so much better. To make the war lord a wise sage with proverbial sayings is a stretch.