Love and Death - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love and Death Reviews

½ July 1, 2016
I don't know why exactly but I lost interest in this half way through, though I did watch to the end. Usually I enjoy almost any Allen movie but this didn't hit the mark for me. I'm surprised because all the reviews are amazing but it sort of bored me. Some funny moments and a lot of slap stick but it didn't totally grab me. I may need to give this one another chance at a later date.
June 27, 2016
"- To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer; not to love is to suffer; to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy, one must love or love to suffer or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down."
½ April 20, 2016
Poking Fun At Proud Russian Stoicism, Woody Plays The Straight-Guy American. Covorting His Way Through Famous Scenes In A Stage-Play Set Up Is Funny To Watch, But Not Down-Right Histerical. It Really Hasn't Aged Well.
½ January 25, 2016
Classic Woody Allen. Humorous, often even poignant satire of Russian literature and Russian mores. Rollicking slapstick sequences. Similar to other Allen 70s films. Dianne Keaton was brilliant as the beautiful, dedicated-to-Mother-Russia and hard-to-get Sonya.
Of course, Allen is so morally ambivalent. However, his honesty and humor with respect to this reality of his is engaging and amusing.
½ January 23, 2016
A heck of a period comedy, glad I saw it around the right time.
December 12, 2015
I found some of the dialogue and writing quite funny, but I couldn't fully get into this film. I understand that he's satirizing Russian Literature but story-wise, this one didn't do it for me. This is for Woody Allen fans though.
November 27, 2015
Almost as philosophical as it is funny, a surprisingly accessible treat.
½ October 21, 2015
One of Allen's most consistently hilarious (I'm talking deep belly laughs) films that doesn't seem to get as much credit as his other classics. It's a great comedy that holds up without fault even today. They don't make them like they used to, in this case.
½ October 21, 2015
Luagh for laugh, Love and Death is Woody Allen's funniest film; hands down.
September 17, 2015
Woody Allen and Diane Keaton go on a silly romp through 19th century Russia during the Napoleonic Wars while pondering deep and profound questions on life and the existence of god. Think Tolstoy's War and Peace with a lot of corny jokes.
July 27, 2015
I never thought of this movie as really being that intellectual -- I suppose the philosophical arguments require some knowledge for you to "get" it, but for the most part Allen's comedy here is very accessible. He pokes fun at some of the greats as said above, but they are done with love (like Bergman). This early Allen also abounded in really silly gags and brilliant physical humor, as one commentator said below, obviously Marx Bros inspired. It's a very funny movie. (And with an all-Prokofiev score? Icing on the sleet.)
July 14, 2015
If you're as serious about nonsense as I am you'll love this. The greatest comedy about Napoleonic Russia ever made!
½ July 7, 2015
The jokes are a little obscure but it still makes for some great comedy.
June 4, 2015
While not as funny as "Sleeper," Woody Allen makes this spoof of Russian literature memorable.
½ May 10, 2015
An infectiously literate homage to Russian culture, mixing some Tolstoy with Allen tomfoolery and high and low-end comedy. It might get a bit inconsistent/tiring near the end, but it's still overall a highly enjoyable comedy.
May 10, 2015
I'd say this film marks the beginning of Woody Allen transitioning from comedic filmmaker to cinematic artist. This bit of silly fun is brilliantly photographed and the Keaton / Allen charisma is full throttle.
½ March 20, 2015
Hilarious. That is the word I use to describe this hilarious send up of Tolstoy and Napoleonic wars. Its funnier if you're familiar with the subject matter, but Allen's rants are hilarious, and Diane Keaton's no slouch either. Both are frantic and hilarious, channeling the Marx Bros. and delivering jokes with deadpan delivery. I consider this one of Woody Allen's best films.
February 23, 2015
Woody Allen's parody of Dostoyevsky is the perfect place to start in my month-long look at the director's films. There's nothing that the Brooklyn-born writer/director loves exploring more than the titular themes of this film. Moreover, 19th century Russian literature is ripe with the same concepts of unrequited romance, moral philosophy & absurdists nihilism.
Boris Grushenko is a middle-class Russian who is in love with his cousin, Sonja, who in-turn love his brother Ivan. When Napoleon invades Austria the pacifist, coward Boris is forced to join the Russian army on the front-lines against the French.
Of all of Allen's "earlier, funnier" movies this is my favorite. It hits on all the themes that he so loves to explore, but it never takes itself too serious. Here he's channeling Chaplin & Groucho Marx with the subversive wit of his own brainy writing style. There are as many jokes-per-minute as in Airplane! and they range from idiotic to ingenious. There are too many to name here, but his father's land, and recipes for snow are among the best. The beautiful Diane Keaton shines as Sonja, his unhappy cousin who is constantly starting philosophical debates about subjective morality & emptiness while wearing absurd coats & hats.
The hidden gem of this movie is the beautiful visual photography of the battlefields, country landscapes, and opulent palaces. It's not often Allen made historical films, so to see this level of detail is very impressive.
February 20, 2015
It was hilarious as usual, Diane Keaton pretty & funny, Woody Allen all time numero uno comedian, We can say he has his own way of directing and acting
½ January 22, 2015
I love him like a brother, just not one of mine...

In Russia, Boris is a young man that has fallen deeply in love with his cousin, Sonja; however, Sonja loves his brother, Ivan, and marries herself off to a rich czar. Boris is sent into the military and comes out of the war a hero. Sonja discovers his notoriety and works with him to form a plan to bring down Napoleon. Can these two simpletons from small town mother Russia find love and be national heroes at the same time?

"Get off my beard, you little jerk-off."

Woody Allen, director of Manhattan, Midnight in Paris, Alice, Shadows and Fog, Radio Days, Bananas, Small Time Crooks, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Zelig, and Annie Hall, delivers Love and Death. The storyline for this picture was very well written, thought-out, and delivered. The acting, settings, and backdrops fit the content perfectly and I loved the cast's performances. The cast includes Allen, Diane Keaton, Frank Adu, Feodore Atkine, and Gerard Buhr.

"I knew after that dream I would not grow up to be an ordinary man."

This is another Woody Allen film I came across on Netflix and had to give a view. I really enjoyed the film, how it was told, and the overall pace. I thought everything was close to perfect and this is a fun Woody Allen film that audiences can sink their teeth into. I strongly recommend seeing this.

"He was an idiot...but I loved him."

Grade: A-