Love and Death - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love and Death Reviews

½ October 26, 2017
One Woody Allen's funniest movies, this movie doesn't get brought up enough.
September 25, 2017
Absolutely hilarious movie! Definitely up there with Monty Python, which is pretty hard to say. Diane Keaton, like always, is fantastic in this movie and really funny, and as always, charming and lovely. There's humor around every corner and even some that you don't notice the first time around.

This is pure Woody Allen genius and the ideas he thought up of are so witty and clever. This is probably by far my favorite Woody Allen film. I love this era and seeing certain things get made fun of is very refreshing to see being that most movies of this time period are more on the serious side. What 's pretty interesting is that this movie and Barry Lyndon came out in the same year. You would think that this was planned.

Overall, this movie is pure comedy gold. I'll definitely be watching it again.
½ February 27, 2017
#WOODYALLENRETRO PODCAST PROJECT (available on iTunes)

Even though i was not familiar with alot of the russian litarature inspired in-jokes the dialogue was a hilarious mockery of the times which was well spotted and written even for casual viewers - Diane Keaton is marvellous as a leading co-actor here and for 2 thirds of the movie it was extremely funny and well executed, sadly it takes a lil dip from the napoleon plot onwards and tapers out at the end... still very enjoyable and again great set / costume design for this period piece comedy satire
November 14, 2016
5 Stars. Fiercely funny. I can't imagine Woody making anything better than this.
November 12, 2016
Love and Death is one of Woody Allen's underrated classics, with typically witty dialogue and insight on life, love, morality and death.
September 25, 2016
If I didn't have a philosophy degree, had watched "Doctor Zhivago" and read Dostoyevsky, I don't think I would have gotten a good chunk of the humor in this film. Nevertheless, I didn't exactly find it to be a knee-slapping comedic romp. In fact, it largely sucked and I stopped watching with 30 minutes left. I just couldn't continue and it's my first time ever stopping a film with only 30 minutes left. Unlike Woody Allen's "Manhattan", which I thought was a timeless classic, because of the mature themes (despite the occasional dated humor), "Love and Death" feels like a very dated work that just won't stand the test of time. That happens sometimes with comedies and this is that kind of film, but I think even in its day it would still alienate many people looking for a good laugh, given it's very intellectualized humor.

As for the intellectual philosophical humor itself, which I largely understood and still foundI dry, It makes it the kind of film I cannot recommend to most people (even if it were funny, which it wasn't).
July 31, 2016
I was tired but I couldn't get through it. Could have been over my head, I know nothing about classic Russian literature.
½ July 1, 2016
I don't know why exactly but I lost interest in this half way through, though I did watch to the end. Usually I enjoy almost any Allen movie but this didn't hit the mark for me. I'm surprised because all the reviews are amazing but it sort of bored me. Some funny moments and a lot of slap stick but it didn't totally grab me. I may need to give this one another chance at a later date.
June 27, 2016
"- To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer; not to love is to suffer; to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy, one must love or love to suffer or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down."
½ April 20, 2016
Poking Fun At Proud Russian Stoicism, Woody Plays The Straight-Guy American. Covorting His Way Through Famous Scenes In A Stage-Play Set Up Is Funny To Watch, But Not Down-Right Histerical. It Really Hasn't Aged Well.
½ January 25, 2016
Classic Woody Allen. Humorous, often even poignant satire of Russian literature and Russian mores. Rollicking slapstick sequences. Similar to other Allen 70s films. Dianne Keaton was brilliant as the beautiful, dedicated-to-Mother-Russia and hard-to-get Sonya.
Of course, Allen is so morally ambivalent. However, his honesty and humor with respect to this reality of his is engaging and amusing.
½ January 23, 2016
A heck of a period comedy, glad I saw it around the right time.
December 12, 2015
I found some of the dialogue and writing quite funny, but I couldn't fully get into this film. I understand that he's satirizing Russian Literature but story-wise, this one didn't do it for me. This is for Woody Allen fans though.
November 27, 2015
Almost as philosophical as it is funny, a surprisingly accessible treat.
½ October 21, 2015
One of Allen's most consistently hilarious (I'm talking deep belly laughs) films that doesn't seem to get as much credit as his other classics. It's a great comedy that holds up without fault even today. They don't make them like they used to, in this case.
½ October 21, 2015
Luagh for laugh, Love and Death is Woody Allen's funniest film; hands down.
September 17, 2015
Woody Allen and Diane Keaton go on a silly romp through 19th century Russia during the Napoleonic Wars while pondering deep and profound questions on life and the existence of god. Think Tolstoy's War and Peace with a lot of corny jokes.
July 27, 2015
I never thought of this movie as really being that intellectual -- I suppose the philosophical arguments require some knowledge for you to "get" it, but for the most part Allen's comedy here is very accessible. He pokes fun at some of the greats as said above, but they are done with love (like Bergman). This early Allen also abounded in really silly gags and brilliant physical humor, as one commentator said below, obviously Marx Bros inspired. It's a very funny movie. (And with an all-Prokofiev score? Icing on the sleet.)
July 14, 2015
If you're as serious about nonsense as I am you'll love this. The greatest comedy about Napoleonic Russia ever made!