The Machinist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Machinist Reviews

July 7, 2017
How can a human loose so much weight for a movie ??? Good job Christian !
May 17, 2017
Very slow and disappointing movie, waited for something interesting to happen throughout the whole movie. Still can't understand why it's got such a high rating.
½ April 21, 2017
Christian Bale did a superb job in portraying factory worker Trevor Reznik. This film gave me the chills; there were moments when I felt like I could not look and yet I could not look away. It had a creepy, after-life quality that just added to the film's suspense. Worth watching at least once.
March 11, 2017
Great acting job by Bale, held my interest even through slow parts
Interesting psychological mystery
½ March 11, 2017
The Machinist is a very good physiological thriller that has an interesting plot and some unpredictable twists. Christian Bale is absolutely scintillating as Trevor and his incredible commitment to the role helped it sell his character. The film leaves some questions at the end and I think I will definitely have to see it again in order to gain a better understanding of the film. The direction is unnerving and the score is unsettling which builds the tension beautifully. If I were to compare this to other movies I would say it's like Fight Club meets Insomnia.
December 26, 2016
Una gran película con un final bastante bueno. Muy buenas actuaciones por parte del todos los actores.
December 9, 2016
phenomenal neo-noir psychological thriller
December 3, 2016
The best movie about psychosis ever!
½ November 30, 2016
This is a strange film to say the least. Christian Bale was excellent, actually scary good, looking as thin as a stick on a tree. It is lit with a very grey setting throughout the entire movie. Worth checking out for sure
½ November 18, 2016
great movie with a great story and phenomenal acting. christian bale shows he's absolutely insane when it comes to preparing for a role. he was probably malnourished during the filming of this movie. a couple of downsides, it was pretty slow for a while, and the music sounds outdated

SPOILERS

this movie concluded so perfectly. a great twist followed by a perfect conclusion: he turns himself to relieve his guilt and cure his insomnia. first sleep in a year (3 viewings)
November 16, 2016
Visually striking and tense throughout, The Machinist is gripping. Though the plot is straightforward and somewhat transparent for a "psychological thriller," Bale is superb and merits a watch...just not before you've seen Shutter Island, Fight Club, Oldboy, etc.
½ November 7, 2016
Only praised because of christian bale's weight loss -he didn't act well in it
October 21, 2016
Favorite Christian Bale movie! As dark and disturbing as it is, it's a wickedly entertaining thriller!
September 12, 2016
Though not as rich and haunting as many other suspense and mystery-thrillers I've seen, this one gives something not many can give me: A real sense of prolonged curiosity.

One thing movies seem to constantly fail me on is getting me to invest enough interest to continue watching them. For every great movie I've left running because of its capturing story, I've shut off ten more that bored me. The Machinist grips you tight and hangs on for dear life until the very end, in a conclusion that not only felt satisfying, but perfect.

Though when knowing the ending to the film, there's no real point to re-watching it, I've probably watched this film more than many others I've re-viewed. It has a wonderfully dark tone that I feel right at home with, and just can't give up.
September 10, 2016
Very gritty but still missing that... something. Bale is fantastic. I recommend it just to see how much Bale is dedicated to his craft.
½ August 26, 2016
Factort workers turn against loner machinist after he causes a tragic accident. A seemingly simple storyline that gets dark and twisted. A modern classic IMO; although it's soon obvious that the "reality" is not what it seems and that there is clearly going to be a final twist, this is well worth watching. Focusing on the protagonist to such an extent was a bold tactic, which works thanks to the quality of both the acting and direction. And the cameramen deserve applause too.
½ August 4, 2016
A suspenseful, dark mind game that grosses you out a bit but keeps you riveted. Bale at his best, per usual.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Very different than I thought, Had a fight club feel to it, Although the plot never goes anywere you get sucked in to it and Christian bale was fantastic, A good film that's not as confusing as you might think and worth watching.