The Machinist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Machinist Reviews

½ September 4, 2017
The Machinist is one of Christian Bale's best career performances. It's also one of the best films of 2004, with an ominous tone, unsettling atmosphere and intriguing story. It's sure to become a cult classic. (4.5/5)
September 2, 2017
Christian Bale's performance and dedication to the role is amazing, but the story was stagnant as hell
½ August 29, 2017
Christian Bale was amazing. Can't say much about the rest of the film.
½ August 25, 2017
Christian Bale was haunting as his performance as Trevor a guilt stricken man that's suffering from insomnia and a horrifying physic. However, it seemed a waste of talent for Bale because the movie was pretty bad. It wasn't ambiguous like it should've been but more clear cut. Moreover, this makes it so the audience can't have a personal connection to the film by putting their on experiences in an ambiguous and carefully detailed plot so we can relate or sympathize to a very different character.
July 30, 2017
One of the best thrillers ever.
July 7, 2017
How can a human loose so much weight for a movie ??? Good job Christian !
May 17, 2017
Very slow and disappointing movie, waited for something interesting to happen throughout the whole movie. Still can't understand why it's got such a high rating.
½ April 21, 2017
Christian Bale did a superb job in portraying factory worker Trevor Reznik. This film gave me the chills; there were moments when I felt like I could not look and yet I could not look away. It had a creepy, after-life quality that just added to the film's suspense. Worth watching at least once.
March 11, 2017
Great acting job by Bale, held my interest even through slow parts
Interesting psychological mystery
½ March 11, 2017
The Machinist is a very good physiological thriller that has an interesting plot and some unpredictable twists. Christian Bale is absolutely scintillating as Trevor and his incredible commitment to the role helped it sell his character. The film leaves some questions at the end and I think I will definitely have to see it again in order to gain a better understanding of the film. The direction is unnerving and the score is unsettling which builds the tension beautifully. If I were to compare this to other movies I would say it's like Fight Club meets Insomnia.
December 26, 2016
Una gran película con un final bastante bueno. Muy buenas actuaciones por parte del todos los actores.
December 9, 2016
phenomenal neo-noir psychological thriller
December 3, 2016
The best movie about psychosis ever!
½ November 30, 2016
This is a strange film to say the least. Christian Bale was excellent, actually scary good, looking as thin as a stick on a tree. It is lit with a very grey setting throughout the entire movie. Worth checking out for sure
½ November 18, 2016
great movie with a great story and phenomenal acting. christian bale shows he's absolutely insane when it comes to preparing for a role. he was probably malnourished during the filming of this movie. a couple of downsides, it was pretty slow for a while, and the music sounds outdated

SPOILERS

this movie concluded so perfectly. a great twist followed by a perfect conclusion: he turns himself to relieve his guilt and cure his insomnia. first sleep in a year (3 viewings)
November 16, 2016
Visually striking and tense throughout, The Machinist is gripping. Though the plot is straightforward and somewhat transparent for a "psychological thriller," Bale is superb and merits a watch...just not before you've seen Shutter Island, Fight Club, Oldboy, etc.
½ November 7, 2016
Only praised because of christian bale's weight loss -he didn't act well in it
October 21, 2016
Favorite Christian Bale movie! As dark and disturbing as it is, it's a wickedly entertaining thriller!