The Machinist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Machinist Reviews

½ November 30, 2016
This is a strange film to say the least. Christian Bale was excellent, actually scary good, looking as thin as a stick on a tree. It is lit with a very grey setting throughout the entire movie. Worth checking out for sure
½ November 18, 2016
great movie with a great story and phenomenal acting. christian bale shows he's absolutely insane when it comes to preparing for a role. he was probably malnourished during the filming of this movie. a couple of downsides, it was pretty slow for a while, and the music sounds outdated

SPOILERS

this movie concluded so perfectly. a great twist followed by a perfect conclusion: he turns himself to relieve his guilt and cure his insomnia. first sleep in a year (3 viewings)
November 16, 2016
Visually striking and tense throughout, The Machinist is gripping. Though the plot is straightforward and somewhat transparent for a "psychological thriller," Bale is superb and merits a watch...just not before you've seen Shutter Island, Fight Club, Oldboy, etc.
½ November 7, 2016
Only praised because of christian bale's weight loss -he didn't act well in it
October 21, 2016
Favorite Christian Bale movie! As dark and disturbing as it is, it's a wickedly entertaining thriller!
September 12, 2016
Though not as rich and haunting as many other suspense and mystery-thrillers I've seen, this one gives something not many can give me: A real sense of prolonged curiosity.

One thing movies seem to constantly fail me on is getting me to invest enough interest to continue watching them. For every great movie I've left running because of its capturing story, I've shut off ten more that bored me. The Machinist grips you tight and hangs on for dear life until the very end, in a conclusion that not only felt satisfying, but perfect.

Though when knowing the ending to the film, there's no real point to re-watching it, I've probably watched this film more than many others I've re-viewed. It has a wonderfully dark tone that I feel right at home with, and just can't give up.
September 10, 2016
Very gritty but still missing that... something. Bale is fantastic. I recommend it just to see how much Bale is dedicated to his craft.
½ August 26, 2016
Factort workers turn against loner machinist after he causes a tragic accident. A seemingly simple storyline that gets dark and twisted. A modern classic IMO; although it's soon obvious that the "reality" is not what it seems and that there is clearly going to be a final twist, this is well worth watching. Focusing on the protagonist to such an extent was a bold tactic, which works thanks to the quality of both the acting and direction. And the cameramen deserve applause too.
½ August 4, 2016
A suspenseful, dark mind game that grosses you out a bit but keeps you riveted. Bale at his best, per usual.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Very different than I thought, Had a fight club feel to it, Although the plot never goes anywere you get sucked in to it and Christian bale was fantastic, A good film that's not as confusing as you might think and worth watching.
½ July 19, 2016
Relying on a bluish palette of desaturated colors, Anderson creates a tense atmosphere of nightmare, but it is Christian Bale who deserves especial merit for his unbelievable dedication (mostly physical) in this intriguing thriller about the unbearable weight of guilt.
½ June 26, 2016
It is not just Christian Bale's sunken eyes, prominent bones, and pale appearance that haunt us. Director Brad Anderson and the shockingly dedicated Bale are able to achieve a dark, disturbing mentality through sheer talent (and some audience manipulation.)
June 11, 2016
Mysterious alienation.
½ May 26, 2016
Christian Bale kills it as Trevor, an insomniac dealing with what is real and what is not. His journey is bizarre, even if the outcome is predictable, but it still makes for an incredibly enticing film that always holds your attention.
½ May 23, 2016
Stunningly dark film, exploring a guilt syndrome, visually mesmerizing, music is haunting. Tour de force of Christian Bale.
½ May 6, 2016
very boring and strange
½ April 28, 2016
This movie is full of suspense and action and is a bit stomach churning too. I wouldn't watch this while eating popcorn. This is one of Christian Bale's most incredible performances. The storyline is invigorating, and the ending is mind blowing. Truly an unbelievable psychological thriller.
March 19, 2016
Surprisingly, very good, despite the almost total absence of colour from most scenes.
½ March 14, 2016
Different type of movie, worth watching; outstanding acting by Christian Bale as usual!
March 11, 2016
The Machinist is intricate, intense and wound tight in the best way. Anderson's control over his tone, atmosphere and cinematography is impressive and when combined with a truly incredible performance by Christian Bale, this film ranks among the best psychological thrillers. I suspect the Academy would like to have Best Actor nominations back on this one, where the awful Jamie Foxx as well as Don Cheadle, Johnny Depp and Clint Eastwood were each nominated for forgettable performances that required minimal commitment compared to Bale's incredible weight loss and bodily punishment.