Reviews

• Jul 23, 2020

Well done all things considered.

Well done all things considered.

• May 08, 2014

I tried to watch this several times, but couldn't make it past the first ten minutes. The sound quality is bad, so it is difficult to understand what is being said without closed captioning (which was not available on TCM). The acting is extremely melodramatic, which makes the dialog even more difficult to understand in the sing-song mid-Atlantic accent that was expected of theatrical actors at the time. So - my rating is based on the first ten minutes, where I caught about 10% of the dialog and had no idea what was going on other than the fact that everyone seemed quite distraught. It made me put my hand to my forehead and audibly sigh with despair and overt facial expression.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Feb 21, 2014

Stiff and creaky original version of the much remade weeper. Chatterton is too theatrical in her role to buy in her later scenes of dissipation. Watch the more enjoyable Lana Turner version instead.

• Feb 19, 2014

"Ruth Chatterton got Best Actress nomination and Lionel Barrymore a directing nod for the first talkie version of the old sentimental play about an all-suffering mother."

John B Super Reviewer
    Dec 11, 2013

Ho boy. It's amazing that this story gets done and done and done over and over again. You would think that this not very subtle play of coincidence would get boring. This is the one that started it all. Such a shame.

• Jul 19, 2011

Absinthe and hardship made her do it

Absinthe and hardship made her do it

• May 12, 2010

Ruth Chatterton is wonderful and brilliant as always. The story and the co-actors are no good at all.

• Feb 11, 2009

The very first movie that ever made me cry in front of someone while watching it. I was quite young, but still adept at not outwardly crying from films - this movie broke me.