Magic to Win Reviews

• Feb 04, 2014

Cheesy it is, for sure. But it was one of the few with a generally neat story/narrative in recent HK Cinema already.

• May 16, 2012

Again, caught this on a flight, was attracted to it because it is from the director of Ipman, but this one is a massive letdown. A story that pretends to be science based fantasy and a corny campus volleyball movie, and ends up being deeply unsatisfying.

• Mar 10, 2012

seemed pretty cheesy / corny. quite a lot focused on volleyball for some reason. the ending was pretty anti-climactic

• JY S Super Reviewer
    Feb 29, 2012

Wilson Yip's <i>Magic to Win</i> is uninspired magic. In other words, it is magic to lose.<p>For a film that leans toward the fantasy genre, its concepts behind the plot are of more than an acceptable caliber. It is when spanning nearly a 100 minutes that this picture fails. The lack of detailed explanations don't help, and the humor, if there is any, do not generate any chuckles. <i>Magic to Win</i> sort of meanders its way to a climax that is difficult to consider eventful.</p><p>The CG is colorful and pretty good, considering the rest of this film. There are some nice ideas behind the magical confrontations, although they never reach their full potential. All in all, the magic stands out as a highlight.</p><p>Newcomer Karena Ng takes the lead role, only to be thrown in the background for the film's finale and overshadowed by Raymond Wong, who does the best job out of everyone in this film. Louis Koo and Wu Jing are well underdeveloped and underutilized and Wu Chun ends up lost in the shuffle.</p><p><i>Magic to Win</i> isn't a complete let down, but the disappointments still outweigh the positives.</p>

• Feb 11, 2012

Wilson Yip and Raymond Wong should take the script in the movie seriously. When the movie tries to potray "Whatever is the past, is the past and will remain as memories, we can never change what has happened in the past". Yes, hence trying to re-work and bring Happy Ghost formula back to life just isn't working fine. As a strong fans of Happy Ghost, I am quite disappointed in this. The start of the movie was promising and entertaining, but towards second half of the movie, it was pure disappointment and boring. For those who root for their good looking idol, be it Louis Koo, Wu Chun or Wu Jing, you will definately fall in love with the movie as they look ever so good. The movie dragged on too long and there are many parts of the movie which couldn't piece up together, as example to the elements of the movie, why Louis Koo only give the rock to Wu Chun and the whole idea of returning to the past. Not to mention how some of the cast were really left in the dark and unexplored. Frankly speaking, I believe this movie could actually stand on its own and would make a great one should it not try too hard to slip in the Happy Ghost elements as I think it seriously got the audiences expecting for more. As how most of the HK movie receive the same destined death by using too much CGI, Magic to Win is no different. The movie massive use of CG was simply disturbing and fake. Which to date, I still couldn't understand how CG which was initially introduced was to help enhance a movie could do so much damage to the movie once overly used, yet no one really cares. And what's worst in this movie was the reference to Star Wars and the lightsaber fight scene which I personally felt was irrelevant and tastelessly done. At the end of the day, I guess the saving grace for the movie boils down to a job well done by Karena Ng since this is her first apperances in the film industry as well as a great job in getting all the good looking main actors in the movie. Yes yes, I know, nothing magical but at least something that soothes the eyes.

• Feb 04, 2012

I won't be surprised if I forget what this movie is about a month from now. Not bad, not good, but definitely forgettable! :|

• Jan 23, 2012

yip (ip man, spl) returns to direct a light-hearted fare. disregarding cheesy ads, the "cutesiness" and comedy charmed me. as magical as sorcerer's apprentice, the all star cast seemed to had fun. oh yeah, and lightsabres. (=