The Man Who Wasn't There Reviews

• Oct 18, 2019

I was skeptical at first because the movie is shot in black and white, however, I decided to give it a try because it is a Coen Brothers' movie. And I was not disappointed! Rather impressed really. A great noir-crime film and one of my favorites.

• Sep 16, 2019

Brothers Coen at work

Brothers Coen at work

• Jul 15, 2019

With dark themes of the imperfection of humans and the illusion of morality, The Man Who Wasn't There is a great neo-noir thriller with a bone-chilling performance by Billy Bob Thornton.

• Nov 14, 2018

This film was almost good.

This film was almost good.

• Oct 03, 2018

A barber back in the 50's gets invited to bigger things. He hooks up with a man that knows that dry cleaning is the next thing. He pays up to get in, but the deal flushes away. Some bigger problems comes at hand too, and soon this man is in big trouble. There is blackmailing, alcoholism, murders and all typs of madness going on around him, but he cope with it. He takes it easy - at least so it seems. This Coen flick is looking very noir-ish at times, helped out by the wonderful black and white production. Dialogue is spot on, scenes are funny, dark or smart - the typical Coen way. Billy Bob is in superb shape and the rest of the cast is great, like Scarlett Johansson that does one of her first appearances, a few years before "Lost In Translation". The photography is splendid and some scenes look amazing. The story is never flat and things happen all the time. I do miss a bit of a bigger punch but I enjoyed it. 7 out of 10 chain smokers.

• Sep 07, 2018

Really liked it but got a bit creeped out with the teenage Scarlett Johanssen thing. It was immediately and blinding obvious what would happen as soon as she first appeared on screen.

• Jul 03, 2018

the makers that weren't there for the audience.. The Man Who Wasn't There 2 Out Of 5 The Man Who Wasn't There is a plot driven feature that focuses a baffling mind of a dissatisfying middle aged man. The convoluted and over thought out monologues imbibes the essence from the soul of the feature and turns it into a repetitive slog which seems on loop for around 2 hours. It is short on technical aspects like background score, costume design, sound department, production design and editing although the cinematography; like the first thing the protagonist notes about a person is the hair for he is a barber, and the sound effects are amazing. The screenplay by the Coen brothers, isn't smart or ground breaking as it may seem for the characters are chewed off way too much for the audience to savor it and addition to that, the scrutiny isn't as convoluted as they think, it's just merely spread out into scattered bits and pieces which despite of being bound well enough, barely moves the muscle in the bigger picture. Joel Coen; the director, seems distracted and blurred out of the vision that he has aspired to set as it never attains a singularity on the terms and laws residing in his self-created bubble. The Man Who Wasn't There actually seems like the makers that weren't there for the audience as the feel disconnected throughout the course of it.

• Apr 20, 2018

A typical, well written, Coen Brothers film. The stripped back noir setting, blended well with BBT's performance.

• Mar 29, 2018

Not quite a 5 star film, but very very close.

Not quite a 5 star film, but very very close.

• Mar 06, 2018

Let's say it's a dark comedy. Things that happens in a sociopathic, sometimes psychopathic, society. Frances is more funny than I thought. Now I know why she often looks like shes about to laugh uncontrollably. Billy is hilarious.