Manhattan Reviews

• May 17, 2019

Woody Allen at his best, interesting script and beautiful photography.

Woody Allen at his best, interesting script and beautiful photography.

• Mar 24, 2019

A perfect film. All of Woody’s genius, warmth, intellect, cynicism and humor in one of the best films of the 70’s. I’ve converted those who profess to ‘hate Woody Allen movies’ with this one.

• Mar 04, 2019

Total MEH with a bit of YUCK. Woody Allen's real-life perversions are expressed within this dated crapper.

• Nov 26, 2018

I gather this boring stuff is mostly loved by new-yorkers...

I gather this boring stuff is mostly loved by new-yorkers...

• Oct 05, 2018

Manhattan tells a tale that is funny and romantic, even agonizing at times, but it never looses its optimistic core. Woody creates a web of relationships that are all so tangible and therefore make it hard for you not to relate to any of them.

• Jun 01, 2018

Actually I'm disappointed because the movie didn't answer a lot of question, such as: * How on earth the tone slips so gracefully between the gut-busting one-liners and emotionally exhausting romantic moments like that? * How can a black-and-white film still be considered as one of the most beautiful movies ever with its gorgeous cinematography? * How can a 96 min film has such character development? * How can a single quote make a lot of change to the characters and the story itself? * How can a soundtrack that features only the rhythms of songs can speak for the hero at every stage he get through? * How can a movie this complex and presents messages about love and loss seems to be so simple that can be rewatched. .... and many more questions left unanswered. Mariel Hemingway performance is phenomenal! Hands down one of the smartest and most subtle screenplays ever written! By far, Manhattan is the best Woody Allen movie. By the way, I'm a big fan of Annie Hall. This movie is the definition of "Bittersweet"! (10/10)

• Apr 15, 2018

I’d like to go on record in saying that I am pretty good at keeping my opinions about actors’ personal lives completely separate from my opinions of the films they make (and frankly I don’t know enough about whatever scandals Woody Allen has been involved in to form a strong opinion anyways.) But what his character does in a film I’m perfectly willing to judge. I struggled early with Manhattan because statutory rape just isn’t something I’m capable of chuckling about. This movie asks me to see it as no big deal and a genuine relationship I’m supposed to enjoy. Not only was the main character actively involved in this inappropriate relationship, everyone around him reacts to it with casual acceptance. When I tried to compartmentalize this one aspect of the film, I still didn’t find myself laughing much. The humor is mostly built around Woody Allen’s neurotic personality, and his struggle in romantic relationships. I liked the cast, and the actors do have good comedic timing, but few of the jokes resonated with me enough to get me laughing . I was annoyed by the fact that the characters were pretty despicable, and everyone made the worst decisions. As a result, I didn’t like anybody in Manhattan at all. Plus Woody Allen made the pretentious decision to film it all in black-and-white for no discernible reason. Manhattan is basically all the things I dislike about other Woody Allen movies all rolled into one. I’ve seen worse comedies, but Manhattan did little to interest me.

• Dec 16, 2017

Movie about a weird 40 something guy who dates a 17 year old girl. Didn't like it.

• Dec 05, 2017

Stumbled on this movie by chance when surfing VUDU's free movie with ads category. This is a great movie, Woody Allen's fantastic take on romance in the Big Apple. I loved the opening monologue, setting the tone of the movie. The soundtrack is great, the black and white photography worked perfect for this film. See this movie, you will not be disappointed.

• Nov 28, 2017

This film is like Woody Allen's mixed up version of Lolita, underage girl and man around forty in a fairly romantic relationship but with an art-film vibe to it. Unlike Kubrick this film has more humor. Despite the controversy and raciness of this film, it is still a masterpiece.