Marriage Story Reviews

• 20h ago

Not only were Driver's and Johansson's performance exceptional, the emotion and underlying themes of this moving story set it far above other drama/romance movies.

• 2d ago

With amazing acting performances from Kylo Ren and Black Widow and beautiful music, Marriage Story is a movie that I truly adore. This movie isn't just a divorce story about two people yelling at each other for the entire movie. It shows you what really goes on during a couple's struggles from both sides. Neither one is the "bad" guy and both want what's best for their kid and also each other. It also shows you the legal battles that goes behind a lot of divorces which was really interesting to see. The music was beautiful and it was one of my favorite parts of the movie. Another part that I think is underappreciated is the cinematography. The entire movie looks like a moving photograph. It represents the fact that when you look at one, you remember what happened behind that photograph and the memories begin to start flowing in. It made the movie really feel like it was about the whole family and not just a single person. I also love how they did then ending. It didn't feel depressing or bad at all. In the end you're not mad or angry at one of them, you just hope the best for both of them and that's it. The acting is amazing and I adore everything about this movie. I highly recommend watching it.

• 5d ago

Profundo e de uma inteligência fenomenal

Profundo e de uma inteligência fenomenal

• 6d ago

Scarlett Johansson, Adam Driver, Laura Dern, Ray Liotta, Alan Alda; obscenely talented cast. Johansson and Driver had the perfect chemistry to make you believe they were two halves of a failing marriage. Absolutely loved how the big-shot lawyers (Liotta and Dern's characters) changed the energy when on screen, particularly during the courtroom scenes. Also, have to give Noah Baumbach the credit he deserves for crafting the brilliant dialogue in this film. Haven't ever been through a divorce so I can't speak to the accuracy, but I really loved how real all of the characters felt based on the way they interacted with one another and how their behavior changed towards their child as the plot progressed. No good guys, no bad guys, but lots of animosity. Definitely one to give a chance if you're a fan of the casts' other work, or really just if you have some time to spare.

• Jul 04, 2020

A different angle to a traditional story. Incredibly honest and raw. The continuous, uncut scenes make for a very intimate understanding of the characters and deeper appreciation of their mannerisms that play into the unfolding of the story.

• Jun 30, 2020

just read the damn letter scarjo (damn was she bitchy)

just read the damn letter scarjo (damn was she bitchy)

• Jun 26, 2020

The acting is great. It tells a fresh story on divorces with excruciating details.

• Jun 25, 2020

Bambaugh's bitter-sweet comedy about a failing marriage is faultlessly acted and painfully honest about how love can survive the cruelties of divorce. So much here is so nuanced and subtle: even the (very funny) cameos of Laura Dern, Ray Liotta and -especially - Alan Alda as a trio of venal lawyers never stray into caricature. Randy Newman contributes a lovely melancholy score. But of course it's the central coupling of Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver that is pitch-perfect. Has either of them done anything as heartbreaking and true?

Lanning L Super Reviewer
    Jun 24, 2020

I realize this was nominated for awards. BUT. Whoever dreamt up this film was definitely not thinking about "entertainment." It's unnerving when the only comic relief you get in a film so brutal as this is just for one single second out of two hours of emotional bludgeoning, and it's a guy accidentally slicing his arm open. Normally I would never laugh at something like that. It really is unsettling to think that's "funny." I totally surprised myself when I laughed out loud. It's absolutely true that Scarlett Johansson, Adam Driver, Laura Dern, Alan Alda, Ray Liotta, and Julie Hagerty give strong performances, and this is a strong movie. I like strong, but strong when it means unrelenting brutalizing of the audience is not for me. What this really could have used is Wally Shawn moments of pure comic relief.

• Jun 24, 2020

Marriage Story is a Very emotional rollercoaster Netflix film about a Father/stage director Charlie and his actress wife Nicole struggles with their coast to coast divorce of Their marriage. Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver did a amazing job playing these two characters in the film and definitely Laura Dern with her amazing Golden globe and Oscar award winning Supporting role. This is one of the best emotional films that Noah Baumbach Has ever made.