Martin Reviews

• Aug 06, 2019

"Martin" from 1977, Directed by George A. Romero is in my opinion an outstanding movie and is severely underrated and forgotten. The acting is brilliant, the story is so unique and so interesting and for once it's completely baffled me that this hasn't received the remake treatment. I am glad it hasn't. This is a must watch for any horror fan of the 70s and any vampire fan. Puts a refreshing new take on the vampire story and mythology which engages me. 100% Recommend

• Jan 16, 2019

Good satire but lacking in too many scares. An unconventional vampire film.

Good satire but lacking in too many scares. An unconventional vampire film.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Sep 11, 2018

Whether a "vampire" or a modern Frankenstein's creature, the protagonist of Martin is in fact a man-made proverbial monster, created by an anguished, frightened society in a deeply troubled era, repressed by conservative religious values and alienated for being what he is.

• Dec 18, 2017

strange vampire movie

strange vampire movie

• Nov 07, 2017

Time Out London's List: 100 Best Horror Films (#98) on YT 11.6.17 Would not re-watch

• Oct 31, 2017

It's an intelligent piece of cinema. I'd call it anti-vampire movie with great social commentary as is expected of Romero. And I want to explicitly underline this fact: commentary, not parody or satire that is way easier to do. Commentary provokes thoughts and parody\satire usually just makes fun of whatever it is mocking. This film's commentary works on multiple levels, from the obvious anti-church message to more secular themes like ostracism and prejudice. Romero is indeed a great master of overlaying a horror story onto society's current issues and diseases. It's an alternative look on the hackneyed vampire genre. Martin is an almost centenary vampire. In this age his "disease" could be taken more seriously with scientific approach but superstitions are strong as ever.

• Oct 09, 2017

An odd but compelling movie.

An odd but compelling movie.

• Jan 22, 2017

The most underrated of all George Romero films, and one of the best. A must watch for any fans of Romero, or those who want to check out a solid movie.

• Oct 15, 2016

Nice period piece from the clothes to the music. Also has a good psycological aspect to Martin's vampirisim and a solid ending.

• Jul 14, 2016

Low budgets have never stopped Romero from making succesful and entertaining horror movies, and this is one of his best ones, even Romero himself has actually considered this his best work. It's a thoughful vampire film, and it's also a horror fan's dream, cause it's written and directed by Romero and the cheesy gore effects are done by Tom Savini, who actually also appears in the flick. Everything about this movie is campy exploitation stuff. Recommended !!