The Matrix - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Matrix Reviews

½ April 22, 2017
While I was still entertained by this film, I think it is a kind of overrated. I don't see it as innovative as many people say it is, because a lot of this stuff has been done in movies before this one, but in terms of entertainment, this is a fun film to watch. Also I wish Neo and Trinity had a bit more character and chemistry if they are going to be out main romantic leads. I see this movie similar to how I saw the first Star Wars movie. It's a film that payed homage to films before hand and tried to create their own entertaining world. (Though sadly this is no Star Wars for me)
½ April 19, 2017
Wooden acting, and some obvious effects shows, but after all these years, this flick still kicks ass!
April 16, 2017
'The Matrix' is visually stunning, albeit a confusing experience too much for the mind to handle.
April 13, 2017
Six stars if I could
April 11, 2017
To be honest. This movie is what made me the scifi-obsessed man I am today, before that. I was an idiot. The Story is so compelling, makes you question your own reality after seeing it. Just a great film. A must see!
½ April 7, 2017
What you have now is a choice: a choice to either continue reading this review or to just scroll past it like it's nothing. If you choose to scroll through, then you will go about your day never knowing what I thought of The Matrix, but if you choose to read on, your reality will forever change. We begin with a cool computer code opening that shows us the framework of the Matrix, then we see a police raid overtaken by Special Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving). Their mission: arrest Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss), who escapes. Next, we're introduced to our main character John Anderson/Neo (Keanu Reeves), a seemingly ordinary computer programmer who sells hacking technology to some low lifes. It is at some cyberpunk club that he meets Trinity, who tells him about Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne), and the next day at work, he gets a call from Morpheus, instructing him to get out through a series of directions that work up until he refuses to jump from the building, resulting in his capture by Agent Smith. After a brief interrogation, they plant a tracker in him in a visually fascinating warping of his body that alerts viewers to the non-reality John/Neo is living in. He wakes up, gets another call from Morpheus, and is picked up by Trinity. After she gets the bug off him, he meets Morpheus in person and gets a choice between the red and blue pills, one that reveals the truth or one that lets him live in ignorant bliss. Long story short, Neo learns the truth of his existence: it's fake reality, very fake reality. He's really wired into a computer program in a vast stack of human biological-VR pods run by machines that eventually flush him out (literally) and is eventually rescued by real-life Morpheus and Trinity. What follows is a semester's worth of philosophical reality talk wrapped in a high concept sci-fi movie, wrapped in a mind-bending story that is relevant today with the emergence of Virtual Reality. It's actually not that hard to follow because you always know where you are: if you're in the Matrix, the lighting has a greenish tone to it, while if you're in the main cast's real world, I would have to say the lighting has a more blueish tone to it. The plot doesn't waste too much time establishing what is going on and we get the revelation of "this is reality" within the first half-hour, followed by two hours of Neo learning the system so he can be "the one," and you know what's going on from when the movie boots up to when it's powered down (until the sequel), and is easy to follow as long as you remember "Green lighting = Matrix," and "Blue lighting = reality." Neo is a pretty relatable guy, reacting the way any of us would react if we suddenly woke up in our fetal pod and realized the lives we'd lived had been a false reality, but none of these characters are really developed enough to make us care for them. I really did not get to know Neo enough to care about his origin as "the one," and I certainly didn't care much for Morpheus and his crew, though I will say they were pretty cool. Again, they just weren't layered enough, and this is where the Wachowski bros corrupted the code of this movie (pardon my computer puns, but 01001001 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 11100010 10000000 10011001 01110100 00100000 01110010 01100101 01110011 01101001 01110011 01110100 00001101 00001010 doing so). However, what they did flawlessly were the effects, which I feel hold up well enough. Whether it's the storage unit of humanity, the advanced technology, the Matrix fights, or the stylish computer code opening credits, the effects look believable for the situation and help establish the virtual world and post-apocalyptic future. It all adds up, and everything is there for a reason. As for the soundtrack, Don Davis conveyed the appropriate emotions and stayed in tune with the high-tech, high-concept sci-fi aspects of the story and visuals. It was also omitted in scenes like Smith interrogating Neo, up until the bug implant sequence. There is also plenty of humor to be found. Not much, just a few funny things happen, but that's it. And there is some salty language, but nothing over-the-top. This movie is the one. The one you want to watch next if you have not seen it already. So now, another choice confronts you: watch The Matrix and discover the truth of what I say, or don't watch it, and continue to live in ignorance of this poignant late-90s sci-fi film whose relevance is strong in today's world of Virtual Reality. Once you see it for yourself, it cannot be unseen, so choose carefully.
½ April 6, 2017
Very cool and good. Keanu Reeves is good in this role. The action is really good and the idea is very original. One to see.
April 5, 2017
One of the most innovative plots I've ever seen. Especially for its time.
Definitely one of my favorite top 10 movies!
Exceptional and realistic special effects. Some of the best I've seen yet!
A must see!
April 5, 2017
One of the best movies ever! Saw so many imitations I can't even count them anymore and when it originally came out, I was literally on the edge on my seat! :)
April 3, 2017
I used to love this movie, but its lost some of its appeal over the years. Really dark look is a bit pretentious. Tries to be too hip for its own good. But still enjoy it for its story.
½ April 2, 2017
The best sci-fi film the year it came out. ;)
March 31, 2017
The Matrix doesn't live up to the same sci-fi standards as Jurassic Park, Terminator or Total Recall. The movie makes it out that there's an incredibly complicated story to how machines have assimilated humans into a realistic stimulation of a world, but instead fills up a majority of the screen time with action, bullets and guns (stacks of thousands of guns I might add), and much of the premise is derivative of earlier sci-fi works. Overall, I suppose the movie's best strength is its special effects.
½ March 26, 2017
Extraordinary special effects, plot development and action scenes. It may be difficult to understand at some parts, but it is thrilling from the beginning until the end.
March 25, 2017
the philosophy was always off. even that it makes you think.
½ March 25, 2017
This is Keanu at his peak. Well this or Speed. Or Point Break!
March 22, 2017
Great movie, amazing action, suspense, plot and characters. Also good visual effects.
March 20, 2017
One of the few decent sci-fi films of recent times, with alot of neat ideas & the development process was truly epic considering the amount of work professional comics artists (such as Frank Miller & Geof Darrow) produced. The stand-out performances come from Fishburne & Weaving, although Reeves' cardboard acting is able enough to allow the viewer access to him. On hindsight, this didn't need any sequels, & it's a shame they were such lame-ducks.
March 19, 2017
Great phenomenal movie franchise starring Keanu Reeves, and two other people's names I have no clue. The girl is from the Netflix series Jessica Jones and the other guy is just morphious, that's all I've seen that actor in. But first let's talk about the story, and here's a spoiler warning even though if your reading this you should have already watched this movie by now but let's get on with it. The premece of this movie is that humans designed these robots to do a certain job and then the robots evolved into their own species and move all the humans into their own little pods and create a computer software to put the human's minds into an augmented reality, a fake world but it feels real. That concept is just pure genius and cool. The characters in the movie are cool especially morphious and neo, everyone has to love neo, he could fight the bad people in the matrix and deleted their code, get it because the bad guy isn't really a human trapped in a pod but a line of code by the robots to keep everything in order. Neo was bad at the beginning but over the course of the movie and his character development is just spot on. You really feel him and what pressure he is under. The overall movie experience is phenomenal , even though the special effects suck in this movie at least you can see what special effects were like back in the 90s.
½ March 19, 2017
THE BEST SCIFI MOVIE EVER.
March 19, 2017
One of the best movies ever made and one of the most memorable ones too gives you amazing action and though-provoking content at the same time