The Matrix - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Matrix Reviews

August 15, 2017
A smartly crafted action thriller with beautifully shot choreographed action sequences and full of special effects. While its narrative is challenging its a action classic.
August 14, 2017
The Matrix is a movie with a great premise, and AMAZING action, the Matrix is great movie.
½ August 12, 2017
Combining amazing special effects with a semi-realistic premise and incredible action, The Matrix truly is a classic. The runtime may be a bit long, and the acting is just good enough, but the visuals, action, dialogue, and direction are all top-notch.
August 12, 2017
The Matrix is one of the most original, unique and influential movies that has ever been made.
August 7, 2017
Awsome special effects. Great story. Nice concept. A must see for anyone who enjoys Sci-Fi.
August 3, 2017
The Matrix is a movie with great special effects, action moments, and acting. It also has a great plot with a computer hacker who meets a mysterious stranger and gets transported to the real world where our world is a computer simulation called the matrix. All in all, almost twenty years later, The Matrix is still a great movie that is very re watchable. 4/5
July 30, 2017
The first movie of the Matrix trilogy was a shock to to say the least, and has entertained throughout the years
½ July 29, 2017
It doesn't hold up amazingly, but its influence can still be felt today.
July 29, 2017
I just caught this on the big screen, having missed it 18 years before. The film is still an incredible action film that was a breath of fresh air for cinema and created a film like none other. The story is like falling down the rabbit hole, a reference used multiple times and the concept never grows tiresome. The sequels failed to deliver a coherent and interesting conclusion to this film but pretending they don't exist helps to sustain all the solid work here. The last 40 minutes are amazing and the tension never lags for a minute, that final foot race is relentless and leaves you with that unforgettable finale. I don't mind that the filmmakers borrowed heavily from anime films, they just crafted a film with a fantastic plot. You can feel the Gibson atmosphere coming to life here and that steam punk helps this film find a place in science fiction history. Great film and one of the best films of the 90s, if you can see this on the big screen, don't miss the opportunity. 28-07-2017.
½ July 29, 2017
This movie had a whole lotta problems, but I can't deny that it was thrilling and exciting and a whole lot of shameless sci-fi action fun. I loved the coloring and the outfits and the way everything was shot and how intricate the plot is, and I also love how the movie sorta (ironically) plays by its own rules.
July 28, 2017
Just rewatch for the 100th time. Still stands on its own and still i pick up something new each time. Its amazing how well this movie was made and the theme could never be dated nor can hollywood touch this film with its remake fever. Nothing quite measures up to the matrix in the sci-fi genre.
July 17, 2017
Fantastic movie. I saw it twice in the theater when I was 17 years old. I had never seen anything like it in my life and it blew my mind. When Nero became "the one", I got goosebumps.
July 15, 2017
it's 2017 & my first time sitting down and watching The Matrix fully. for being 18 years old it's actually looks like it could have come out in 2014. That speaks volumes to the Wachoski's vision for this film
½ July 14, 2017
The Matrix is one of the most iconic movies of all time. You might not of every heard of this movie, but if you don't live under a rock you sure know atleast one reference from this movie. The Wachowski brothers put together a really original idea, and watching for the second time in a while, the whole concept blew my mind - again.
Like I said, this movie is original and ground breaking. And I mean ground breaking in many ways, including the special effects. The truly state-of-the-art and visually inventive effects set the bar high for future films. One of the most impressive special effects for it's time since Jurassic Park.
As I mentioned earlier, this movie has tons of iconic scenes. Almost every 3rd scene is this movie is instantly part of pop culture and this movie is super original. This includes the Red Pill/Blue Pill, the bullet dodging, the Ju Jitstu training, I could go on and on. Another great thing about this movie are the performances, mainly the committed and believable one from Keanu Reeves, and Laurence Fishburne. My last thought and my personal favorite thing about this movie is the story and the directing. The Wachowzki put together such an original (at that time) and thought provoking story. If really made me think. I sat there after the movie thinking: what if everything isn't real. The story is great and the Wachowzki's directing really captures the feel. If I had to have one complaint, I would say some of the scenes, mainly one in the middle of the movie that I won't spoil for you, seem like they just happen to fill space and add more problems for the characters. This movie felt like it was going to do that a lot more, but every time I expected it it didn't happen. Like I said, it's only at one scene near the middle of the movie.
Overall, The Matrix is groundbreaking, visually and technically impressive, and features great and dedicated performances. It's thought provoking and truly iconic. The Matrix is definetly worth watching.
½ July 13, 2017
A groundbreaker in action, sci-fi, and just cinema. The Matrix is a very smart and complex cyberpunk flick with insane action sequences and great direction from the Wachowskis.
July 11, 2017
Still a great watch & still one of my favorite's! I loved introducing this movie to my younger brothers. If you haven't watched this gem, then it's time for a matrix trilogy weekend!
July 6, 2017
The camerawork was revolutionary at the time of its release, and the science fiction The Matrix founded on is not easily forgotten. A modern classic.
July 6, 2017
Back when The Matrix was released, people around the world were blown away by it, including myself. Being a teenager and watching The Matrix for the first time was a feeling like none other. It is the best movie-watching experience I've ever had.

Starting off with the plot. It is about a hacker named Thomas 'Neo' Anderson (Keanu Reeves) who is awakened to the truth when he learns about the Matrix which is a virtual reality concept that us humans live in, so that we can give off energy to the AI system that the world is ran by. Neo (throughout the entire movie) is referred to as 'The One'. The chosen one that is called to save humanity from the Matrix. He is almost a Christ-like figure in that standpoint. So he must learn martial arts skills to fight against Agent Smith. (Hugo Weaving) who a man who stabilizes the matrix and poses a strong threat to the protagonists.

This movie is completely right on so many levels. The Wachowskis' knew what they were doing when they came up with this idea, and in result, they broke grounds with the 'bullet-time' sequences and revised slow-motion. This masterwork also went into deep, philosophical references on many subjects as far as humanity and narrative foreshadowing through heavy dialogue. Pretty much all of the action occurs in the third act. The first two does a good job at explaining the plot and building up to the action at the same time.

These film-making trends have dominated pop-culture and the film making industry as a whole. It came out in 1999 and it is still just as iconic today.

Over all, The Matrix is one of the best sci-fi action films ever made. 5/5 stars would be an appropriate rating.
½ June 27, 2017
The Matrix is a masterfully created action film that near-flawlessly weaves a contained story into a complex universe.
June 22, 2017
This movie implicates many factors such as the numbers and what people are thinking when they are facing with hardships. It dealt with human natures.
I really liked that.