The Matrix - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Matrix Reviews

June 21, 2018
Stopped after an hour because I was bored and confused. It has an incoherent and unrelatable storyline with pretentious dialogues. I completely agree with one of the super viewers who gave it a low rating. Not my cup of tea.
June 21, 2018
The Matrix is a 1999 science fiction action film written and directed by The Wachowskis.
1001
June 16, 2018
Greatest Sci-Fi movies of all time. For people who love Sci-Fi - its usually in their top 10. I have an issue with people down-rating a movie like the Matrix because they don't like the genera of Sci-Fi. A lot of people never understood this movie and a lot of people never will.
June 9, 2018
A true movie classic
June 6, 2018
visually stunning an action movie with Keanu Reeves and a classic? this movie does it all
May 29, 2018
Favorite movie ever made
May 26, 2018
As good as sequels II and III, Avoid paying for soylo a soy wars story.
May 24, 2018
The matrix is a smart movie with biblical references and clever analogies, besides some of the needless action, this movie is a good binge
May 12, 2018
this movie changed my life. watched it first 20 years ago as a 13 yo boy it's philosophy freed my mind! a must watch
May 11, 2018
Changing the game. Like I need to describe to you what The Matrix is about, but this is about a man (Keanu Reeves) who leads two lives. He is an office worker by day and a computer hacker by night. He is recruited by a small ragtag group of rebels that are ready to open his eyes to the truth: life as we know it is both a lie and a computer program. This was one of my absolute favorite movies during my teenage years, and I don't think I am underselling it when I say that this blew my mind. While I have seen many, many more movies throughout the years, for a young, impressionable brain, this has the potential to be life changing. Nearly twenty years later, it still holds up, and it was high time I sat down and plug in with this again. Now I have heard plenty people talk trash about Keanu's acting abilities, and while he has improved slowly throughout the years, those complaints are not unfounded. The one thing he has always been good at is playing confused and earnest, and that is precisely what the role of Neo calls for in the first movie. It's very effective because he doesn't know what he is to become, and he is the perfect avatar for the audience. The Wachowskis made a groundbreaking movie with the Matrix, and much like Jaws did in 1975, this changed the kind of blockbusters we got, this time by becoming more effect driven. The movie has a very unique look and style to it with that iconic green hue, and you can very likely tell that a screen shot is from the Matrix simply by looking it. Stacking the deck even further is the fact that this series has one of the most underrated villains of all time in Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving). He has so many memorable speeches that he delivers with gusto, and everything about the performance paints him as an unstoppable antagonist. It is electric and it makes it so the danger is pumped up in every single scene that he is in. 1999 was one of the best years for film, and The Matrix is right up there with the cream of the crop. It is style and substance coming together in an incomparable fluent package. The storytelling is damn fine with a script that sparkles, and it is brilliantly paced with special effects that still look good all of these years later. This is a movie that will continue to stand the test of time, and they really did something incredible in making one of the most unassailably cool movies to ever be put into existence.
April 30, 2018
A revolutionary, has been my favorite movie for nearly 20 years
½ April 14, 2018
Although the plot of this movie can be difficult to understand at first, The Wachowski Brothers crafted a sci-fi action beauty, with stunning action, spot-on setpieces and stellar effects.
April 13, 2018
This is the best film on the planet. Once you watch it , it will change you fundamentally for the better.
½ April 10, 2018
a sci-fi classic stemmed from the analogy of plato's cave, set in a dystopian civilisation of man where robots/a.i has come to be in dominion rivalry.
April 9, 2018
10/04/2018 - Yes there are some cheesy one liners. But you should expect that. As of writing this, The Matrix is almost 20 years old! The simple fact is, The Matrix is STILL the greatest science fiction film ever made, and doesn't look like it will be beaten any time soon.
April 4, 2018
IT IS A DOCUMENTARY!
March 31, 2018
Imaginative but extremely overrated.
March 19, 2018
Not the most original story, but still enjoyable and downright fun
March 12, 2018
My #1 Movie of All time!
March 4, 2018
2C the film is a masterpiece of science fiction, great effects and a script that leaves us questions and more questions about the future, an extremely memorable and grandly well-organized cast.