The Matrix - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Matrix Reviews

July 17, 2017
Fantastic movie. I saw it twice in the theater when I was 17 years old. I had never seen anything like it in my life and it blew my mind. When Nero became "the one", I got goosebumps.
July 15, 2017
it's 2017 & my first time sitting down and watching The Matrix fully. for being 18 years old it's actually looks like it could have come out in 2014. That speaks volumes to the Wachoski's vision for this film
½ July 14, 2017
The Matrix is one of the most iconic movies of all time. You might not of every heard of this movie, but if you don't live under a rock you sure know atleast one reference from this movie. The Wachowski brothers put together a really original idea, and watching for the second time in a while, the whole concept blew my mind - again.
Like I said, this movie is original and ground breaking. And I mean ground breaking in many ways, including the special effects. The truly state-of-the-art and visually inventive effects set the bar high for future films. One of the most impressive special effects for it's time since Jurassic Park.
As I mentioned earlier, this movie has tons of iconic scenes. Almost every 3rd scene is this movie is instantly part of pop culture and this movie is super original. This includes the Red Pill/Blue Pill, the bullet dodging, the Ju Jitstu training, I could go on and on. Another great thing about this movie are the performances, mainly the committed and believable one from Keanu Reeves, and Laurence Fishburne. My last thought and my personal favorite thing about this movie is the story and the directing. The Wachowzki put together such an original (at that time) and thought provoking story. If really made me think. I sat there after the movie thinking: what if everything isn't real. The story is great and the Wachowzki's directing really captures the feel. If I had to have one complaint, I would say some of the scenes, mainly one in the middle of the movie that I won't spoil for you, seem like they just happen to fill space and add more problems for the characters. This movie felt like it was going to do that a lot more, but every time I expected it it didn't happen. Like I said, it's only at one scene near the middle of the movie.
Overall, The Matrix is groundbreaking, visually and technically impressive, and features great and dedicated performances. It's thought provoking and truly iconic. The Matrix is definetly worth watching.
½ July 13, 2017
A groundbreaker in action, sci-fi, and just cinema. The Matrix is a very smart and complex cyberpunk flick with insane action sequences and great direction from the Wachowskis.
July 11, 2017
Still a great watch & still one of my favorite's! I loved introducing this movie to my younger brothers. If you haven't watched this gem, then it's time for a matrix trilogy weekend!
July 6, 2017
The camerawork was revolutionary at the time of its release, and the science fiction The Matrix founded on is not easily forgotten. A modern classic.
July 6, 2017
Back when The Matrix was released, people around the world were blown away by it, including myself. Being a teenager and watching The Matrix for the first time was a feeling like none other. It is the best movie-watching experience I've ever had.

Starting off with the plot. It is about a hacker named Thomas 'Neo' Anderson (Keanu Reeves) who is awakened to the truth when he learns about the Matrix which is a virtual reality concept that us humans live in, so that we can give off energy to the AI system that the world is ran by. Neo (throughout the entire movie) is referred to as 'The One'. The chosen one that is called to save humanity from the Matrix. He is almost a Christ-like figure in that standpoint. So he must learn martial arts skills to fight against Agent Smith. (Hugo Weaving) who a man who stabilizes the matrix and poses a strong threat to the protagonists.

This movie is completely right on so many levels. The Wachowskis' knew what they were doing when they came up with this idea, and in result, they broke grounds with the 'bullet-time' sequences and revised slow-motion. This masterwork also went into deep, philosophical references on many subjects as far as humanity and narrative foreshadowing through heavy dialogue. Pretty much all of the action occurs in the third act. The first two does a good job at explaining the plot and building up to the action at the same time.

These film-making trends have dominated pop-culture and the film making industry as a whole. It came out in 1999 and it is still just as iconic today.

Over all, The Matrix is one of the best sci-fi action films ever made. 5/5 stars would be an appropriate rating.
½ June 27, 2017
The Matrix is a masterfully created action film that near-flawlessly weaves a contained story into a complex universe.
June 22, 2017
This movie implicates many factors such as the numbers and what people are thinking when they are facing with hardships. It dealt with human natures.
I really liked that.
June 21, 2017
I'm usually not a fan of films with ensemble casts -- but this one makes it work!! The Matrix makes so many things that should never work, work. And they work so well. Blame it on nostalgia I don't care I can watch this movie so many times and it keeps getting better.
June 21, 2017
This movie has one the best storylines ever! I loved how it made me question if the Matrix is real and I loved the special effects used. It's a movie with a strong message about how society lives their lives believing that everything they see is real and there is nothing beyond our existence. They live without realizing there is something wrong in the world and there need to be changes. This is absolutely a must-see.
½ June 18, 2017
Great plot, great acting, and great action leads to one of the best action films of all time
June 17, 2017
The Matrix doesn't live up to the same sci-fi standards as Jurassic Park, Terminator or Total Recall. The movie makes it out that there's an incredibly great story to how machines have assimilated humans into a realistic stimulation of a world, but instead fills up a majority of the screen time with action, bullets and guns (stacks of thousands of guns I might add), and much of the premise is derivative of earlier sci-fi works. Overall, I suppose the movie's best strength is its special effects.
June 15, 2017
the best movie ever!!!
June 7, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: 'The Matrix' is mostly a success because of its beautifully innovative thematic story, but it also works because all of that is delivered with an edge and creativity to engage a whole range of audiences. Yes with the Wachowskis' wonderful innovation comes an all-consuming surrounding world that immerses you in the film's brilliant perception of reality to an extent that few other films manage - something that's all the more impressive when you consider how ambitious it really is. Once you're hooked though, it equally ducks any chances of losing you as it packs bags of hugely fun set pieces and truly mind-bending action and visual effects.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The characters are less important in themselves, and more serve as tools for advancing this awesome thematic journey. That's all well and good, but it does mean you can't get too emotionally attached to the events that unfold
VERDICT: A thematic masterpiece that engages because it's just so innovative and down right cool - 'The Matrix' has aged well for all the right reasons
June 6, 2017
"I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid... you're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you."
June 6, 2017
Kick-starting the mind-bending trilogy, The Matrix is one of the best action movies ever and will make you question everything around you to boot.
June 2, 2017
Just super cool, even today! Love the way both Fishburne and Weaving talk! Super cool! And the scene of Neo and Trinity in the lobby where Morpheus is being held is awesome! I could, and will, watch this again and again!
May 30, 2017
Best. Movie. Ever. 'Nuff Said.
½ May 28, 2017
Groundbreaking at the time of its release, The Matrix Still holds up today, save for a few effects here and there. Endlessly entertaining and one of Reeves' best films. Hugo Weaving's Agent Smith is one of my personal favorite movie villains.