The Mermaid (Mei ren yu) Reviews

• Mar 03, 2019

I don't know what critics see in this. Chow has done far better and more coherent movies than this.

• Dec 22, 2018

Unusually odd film has uneven amounts of slapstick, comedy and romance.

Unusually odd film has uneven amounts of slapstick, comedy and romance.

• Sep 23, 2018

If you've seen some of Chow's other more well-known films ('Kung Fu Hustle' is brilliant), then you'll recognise the humour as being him all the way through - silly, but funny. It's the most appealing thing about this film; in fact, it's the only thing that makes it watchable. As for the story, it's not only generic and ridiculously in-your-face, but also quite badly written. If they were going for a romance (which is pretty darn significant to the plot), it doesn't feel remotely realistic, nor does it affect; and if they were looking to create some stir around environmental issues, then they didn't exactly go about it in a subtle way, yet somehow managed to fail to adequately show the problem. And then there's the characters, all of whom aren't developed nearly enough with the only remotely likeable one being Lin Yun's mermaid. Whatever went wrong here - for me, they tried to take on two subjects, love and the destruction of the environment, that require a degree of seriousness and other tools that Chow just isn't equipped with - 'Mei ren yu' doesn't work too well. That being said, this is one of China's most successful films ever, so what do I know.

• Feb 21, 2018

This movie is ABSOULTLY hillarous, I watched in once in the theaters, then once again cause it's one of the few movies I will ever watch. (and im not a big fan of movies so a rating like this is like the chances of a coconut falling on your head)

• Feb 17, 2018

Terrible movie. Way to slap stick.

Terrible movie. Way to slap stick.

• Nov 27, 2017

The Mermaid requires a willingness to embrace the strange, but backs up its wacky flights of fancy with a big-hearted fairy tale and a resonant message.

• Oct 05, 2017

'Mermaid' is pure Stephen Chow wacky goodness, just lighter on the martial arts.

• Sep 30, 2017

The Mermaid is bizarre to say the least, and personally I felt the movie emphasized color, costume work and special effects much more than story and character development, but that doesn't mean the special effects and costumes are NOT awful as fuck. The Mermaid seems like a half-assed mix of "Splash" plus fluffy environmental ocean talk.

• Apr 13, 2017

Forget it America. The best Mermaid movie has been made.

Forget it America. The best Mermaid movie has been made.

• Mar 15, 2017

Moving, full of charm and with a relevant message. I wish the comedy in it could have been the same because the way it was only damaged what could have been one epic romance fairy-tale.